Mt Smart Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Mt Smart Stadium

Post by IanRitchie »

It was almost open slather in terms of wandering around Ericsson Stadium at the Warriors Open Day today. I wandered up the West Stand to the open corporate boxes, peeked into one of the coaches boxes (with a very smashed window at the back of the the box (which is strange) and there was broken glass all though the box. Bear in mind that it is probably 20 metres off the ground....strange. Anyway...

The largest temporary stand in the southern hemisphere being rebuilt again after the Big Day Out.

The new East Stand.

South Stand. Suprising picturesque up this high.

West Stand from the East Stand. Right up at the back of the East Stand was the only place i could get the whole thing in the lens.

This just seemed fairly classy.

My seat for this year is juuust to the right of the uprights, about halfway up.

Not too much left from the Commonwealth Games now.

Ericsson Stadium No.2.

I still haven't quite managed to get a hang of the sharpen tool yet.
Last edited by IanRitchie on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Great Pics. Not being familiar with Auckland, how far from the city is Ericsson Stadium?

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Supurb pics there IanRitchie. Well done :!: :!: . Finally Ericsson is starting to look like a proper rectangle stadium rather than what it was with the athletics track.

You know, there are a few Sydney based NRL clubs who will start to envy the Warriors and grounds like Ericsson Stadium soon.

How do I rate the current NRL grounds?

1. Telstra Stadium
2. Suncorp Stadium
3. Aussie Stadium
4. Ericsson Stadium
5. Canberra Stadium
6. Parramatta Stadium
7. Energy Australia Stadium
8. Dairy Farmers Stadium
9. WIN Stadium
10. Penrith Stadium
11. Brookvale Oval
12. Toyota Park
13. Oki Jubilee Stadium
14. Sydney Showground
14. Olympic Park

Based on spectator comfort & facilities. Corporate facilities. Player facilities & most importantly, the distance from the spectator areas to the playing field & suitability for rectangle sports.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I was thinking that this stadium could be the major stadium that New Zealand is looking for, a two tier stand along the goal sides, may push the capacity to 50-60,000 people for Rugby, demolish Eden Park and use the funds from the sale to create a cricket ground and then funds from the left over from Eden Park and NZRU into building the stadium at the site.

Auckland for a city of 1 million has 3 quality stadiums...even if Eden Park looks as dysfunctional as ever

Once again great Pics Ian Ritchie.

P.S I saw that six go out of Westpac Trust Stadium...and i think it was the biggest i have ever seen...especially when Symonds only got two or three rows up :shock:

I dont think i have ever seen a shot as big as that...would have been interesting to see how far that would have gone at the MCG or Adelaide Oval.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Re: Ericsson Stadium

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

IanRitchie wrote:Image
My seat for this year is juuust to the right of the uprights, about halfway up.
Good to find another who likes the seats behind the goalposts. My possie in the Northern Grandstand (a fair bit higher than yours though) at WIN is fantastic.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

hot_dogma wrote:Great Pics. Not being familiar with Auckland, how far from the city is Ericsson Stadium?
Wikipedia says it is 10ks south. That seems a bit excessive, but the Sky Tower looked the same size there as it does from near where i live.
the distance from the spectator areas to the playing field & suitability for rectangle sports.
I'd forgotten just how close my seat was to the goal posts. I could pick it out when i was standing on the grass.

The field is still quite a distance from the West Stand though.
I was thinking that this stadium could be the major stadium that New Zealand is looking for, a two tier stand along the goal sides, may push the capacity to 50-60,000 people for Rugby, demolish Eden Park and use the funds from the sale to create a cricket ground and then funds from the left over from Eden Park and NZRU into building the stadium at the site.
In the middle of an industrial area, with sod all parking? Well, Eden Park is pretty damn similar. So why not?
I saw that six go out of Westpac Trust Stadium...and i think it was the biggest i have ever seen...especially when Symonds only got two or three rows up
When i was at the World XI match the sixes were going 3-5 rows back. And i thought those were big!
Good to find another who likes the seats behind the goalposts. My possie in the Northern Grandstand (a fair bit higher than yours though) at WIN is fantastic.
My only complaint with my seat is the elevation is a little low. Two-three rows back would suit me good. I'll look out for you on Sky.

And to think i prefer a mid-wicket seat at the cricket. I'm all arse-about-face.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

And to think i prefer a mid-wicket seat at the cricket. I'm all arse-about-face.
Your not alone...the Kiwis at Westpac Trust Stadium...who have been complained about in media about the trash throwing.

They all liked the mid-wicket position, the behind the bowler had no spectators compared to the mid wicket areas.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The new stand looks a picture. Now for behind the goal posts.

I hope they host a test there soon. It has been a while.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Egan wrote:
They all liked the mid-wicket position, the behind the bowler had no spectators compared to the mid wicket areas.

I noticed that when i was in Wellington too. I was tempted to escape the plonkers and go to these empty seats.

Now for behind the goal posts.
Its not going to happen in a hurry, or at all at the north end.

Anyway, i like it as it is, and with the Warriors being the sole tenant at the moment, the council won't be willing to fund anything else.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Would love to see a detailed aerial shot of the ground. And of the other NRL grounds for that matter.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Anyone own a helicopter? I'll supply the camera!!

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Yeah I'll just ring Uncle Kerry and see if I can borrow his, and his pilot as well.....

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

HoldenV8 wrote:Yeah I'll just ring Uncle Kerry and see if I can borrow his, and his pilot as well.....
They've only got two kidneys between them. Don't do anything rash!

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

My dad had only one kidney and I never worried about that.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

cam wrote:Anyone own a helicopter? I'll supply the camera!!
I can fly the helicopter. I can't assure anybodys safety though.