Old Trafford

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Well well well. I didn't know the forum had a readership up high in the FA. The electronic signs are still there but displayed still signage during Untieds last game on Sunday morning.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

For the whole game? I've noticed in the matches I've seen they have still signage for the majority of the game with the animated ads at different times during the game.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I asked this query about Old trafford to a regular visitor on the Glory forum and he responded
You mean the electronic ad hoardings around the pitch?

To be honest, some of the commercial activity since Vodafone and Nike became the main sponsors has been a bit "iffy". Quite often there is a huge advertising banner, or two, unfurled over part of the glass front near the Sir Matt statue (think HUGE, Chinese communist party style). The megastore is now virtually nothing more than a Nike outlet. As for the electronic ad boards - they are too much IMHO, the static boards or the ones that flipped between ads periodically were fine, but the new ones are too bright and flashy.

Most of the commercial stuff passes the fans by though; we don't care about the suits, and I imagine any attempt to rename "Old Trafford" would meet highly vocal opposition. That said, the plc probably wouldn't dream of tinkering with the name, it is probably seen as a "product with global recognition" or some such bull.

Without the TV money the game in this country (and others) would probably be on it's knees now, if not worse. The sort of changes that Sky TV money has allowed have been great, but it's getting to the point where some commercial types need to be told "enough is enough".

There needs to be a delicate balance between commercial interests and football.
Hes coming to Perth, thought Id like to let you know a first hand account about Old trafford...a great post...just a pity hes wasted his life being a Moan U fan

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

cam wrote:For the whole game? I've noticed in the matches I've seen they have still signage for the majority of the game with the animated ads at different times during the game.
I think some of the signs might have changed a bit of wording, or the image, but to ones opposite the camera side were still - a bit bright maybe, but nothing like those annoying Vodafone ones with the ball running around etc.

I'd hate my team to be the glamour club with such advertising and popularity levels overseas. Thank god for "the most boring club in the league".

mikeyraw
Bronze

Post by mikeyraw »

Nothing on boundary park :P

Oldham are building a new 20,000 seater so it should be good.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

mikeyraw wrote:Nothing on boundary park :P

Oldham are building a new 20,000 seater so it should be good.
Well good for Owdum. The Biffs need something to cheer about. Soccer team were on the verge of collapse. RL club wallowing in mediocrity despite a huge budget.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

I was there when the Kangaroos played Great Britain in the 2nd RL test in 94. The singing was so loud at the start of the game that it literally gave me a headache. But with the Aussies running away with it, they shut up pretty quickly though.

The ground was just so uncomfortable to sit in. My knees were on the shoulders of the guy in front. When somebody at the end of the row had to get up, everyone just had to get up. And I swear it has the SMALLEST entrance into any sporting stadium I have EVER seen. I swear it is about 4 feet wide, a fat Pieeater from Wigan actually got stuck trying to get in. :oops:

Here are some pix I found of the ground.
http://www.stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_s ... rd&id=1025

JF

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:I was there when the Kangaroos played Great Britain in the 2nd RL test in 94. The singing was so loud at the start of the game that it literally gave me a headache. But with the Aussies running away with it, they shut up pretty quickly though.
One of the best tries you'll see came in that game. An enduring image of that tour.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Jeffles wrote:
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:I was there when the Kangaroos played Great Britain in the 2nd RL test in 94. The singing was so loud at the start of the game that it literally gave me a headache. But with the Aussies running away with it, they shut up pretty quickly though.
One of the best tries you'll see came in that game. An enduring image of that tour.
Don't confuse 1990 with 1990. 1990 was when Ricky Stuart made that run and passed to Big Mal to win the match and draw the series.

In 1994 we murdered em. Aussies behind me were teasing the Poms with taunts of "What's the score, 38-4?" :D

JF

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
Jeffles wrote:
Don't confuse 1990 with 1990. 1990 was when Ricky Stuart made that run and passed to Big Mal to win the match and draw the series.

In 1994 we murdered em. Aussies behind me were teasing the Poms with taunts of "What's the score, 38-4?" :D

JF
Oops!

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The council has just approved a capacity increase of 7000 of Old Trafford and will be ready by the 2006/7 season.

It involves the filling in of the North Western and North Eastern Corners.

It will bring the capacity of the venue to 76,000 people.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:The council has just approved a capacity increase of 7000 of Old Trafford and will be ready by the 2006/7 season.

It involves the filling in of the North Western and North Eastern Corners.

It will bring the capacity of the venue to 76,000 people.
Nice work. The RSL GF would look good with the extra seats taken up.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

They've started filling in the corners this week...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 742&page=5

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Just noticed...I have 3,000 fewer posts than Jeffles but we're both Tier 4 :)