Old Trafford

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Mananda
Bronze

Post by Mananda »

Egan wrote:Its interesting to note but this is less then one kilometer away from Man Cities old home ground Maine Road.
You know your way around Manchester. :roll: The distance between OT and MR is about four kilometres. Perhaps you were confusing the Manc grounds with those in Scouseland.

If such information seems beyond your scope, one wonders what else you've missed thus far. :wink:

Look at photo's of the two stadiums (Lang Park and Old Trafford), especially aerial views. No-one with 20/20 vision would be in any doubt as to which was the largest ground.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

I caught a bit of the Man Utd-Charlton match at Old Trafford on the weekend.

One thing that really frustrated me was the digital hoardings. They were an unwelcome distraction and slightly nauseating.

Have you guys seen them?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

It's been used in Spain for a few years now. I guess Man Utd were "obviously" the likely candidates to same it in the UK.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

But do you condone it? I f***ing hate it!

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

james_ wrote:But do you condone it? I f***ing hate it!
Same. Give me the flip around ones, or even better, static.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I don't mind them. But I'm sure the novalty will wear off. I got home drunk Saturday night, and when I was watching the game, I was just looking at the digital boards (not realising it). I reckon the chances of Arsenal installing them at their new stadium is pretty high. Must be bloody expensive though.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

This is Manchester United remember...really do not have a clue what your talking about...because life without Foxtel...its not worth living.

Would anyone care if Old Trafford was blasted off the face of this earth?

Off topic but thought this was the greatest signature I have ever seen.

'Manchester United, Essendon Football Club and the New York Yankees - the 21st Century's version of the axis of evil.'

I love that sig so much...wish i had thought of that myself.

Go Back to topic now.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

hot_dogma wrote:It's been used in Spain for a few years now. I guess Man Utd were "obviously" the likely candidates to same it in the UK.
well I never saw United as an obvious candidate for this. I would have considered them above such cheap advertising circus acts. Its banned in Denmark and I cant imagine it has a big future in England.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

james_ wrote:But do you condone it? I f***ing hate it!
I reckon it looks shite!!!! :evil:

What it reminds me of a bit is the virtual advertising that is sometimes used in the Premier League where you'd see a visitbritain.com banner placed on the pitch behind the goals to give the illusion that it's sprayed on the grass.

Can anyone remember the farcical attempt of virtual advertising adopted only once in the AFL for Collingwood's last ever match at Victoria Park? It featured artificial VB signage placed on the screens including a revolving Victoria Bitter can in the sky above the field of play! :lol: :shock: :lol:

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Interestingly enough, i'm watching the UEFA Cup live from Old Trafford, and they have got static signs on the far side from the telly cameras.

Blame the FA!

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

UEFA Cup? Who's playing?

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yeah, all clubs must use the same signange for Champions League matches.

I do remember the match at Victoria Park, quite funny really. It was also used quite a few years back at the MCG for the bledisoe cup I think it was. They had virtual signage over the crowd - 1 bay at either end of the Southern Stand on the lower level.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

james_ wrote:UEFA Cup? Who's playing?
Man U vs Lyon.

Only the second game of soccer i've made an effort to fully watch (apart from breakfast and to point out the signage).

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Oh of course, Champions League not UEFA Cup.
cam wrote:It was also used quite a few years back at the MCG for the bledisoe cup I think it was. They had virtual signage over the crowd - 1 bay at either end of the Southern Stand on the lower level.
Correct. Dodgy. I think they were advertising Reebok.

Well, I just hope the FA try to regulate it. Under the dark skies of Manchester, the digital hoarding was way too bright.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

james_ wrote:Oh of course, Champions League not UEFA Cup.

Well, I just hope the FA try to regulate it. Under the dark skies of Manchester, the digital hoarding was way too bright.
You can tell i don't have a clue about soccer.

Old Trafford was really dark, i didn't think it was that bad. I've seen highlights from other night games and i didn't think it was as dark then.