May Day Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Dundee
Bronze

May Day Stadium

Post by Dundee »

Are in the May Day Stadium in North Korea also football games or only dance performances? On www.fussballtempel.net there stands: "Mainly mass Games and dance performances, very rarely Football and Athletics".
Very rarely means not often but sometimes is that right? Or are there never football games? Thanks for help.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I am sure it holds some soccer matches. but it would rarely get soccer matches because of the conflict between the West and North Korea.

But I am sure some of North Korean domestic soccer comp is played there.

Yep your definition of rarely is correct. :wink:

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea's home world cup qualifying matches are played at the Kim Il Sung stadium and Yanggakdo Stadium, both located im Pyöngyang. A city with three major stadiums, one the largest in the world that is rarely used for sport... Only the work of an evil dictator can cause this.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I wouldn't like my chances of getting decent food there.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Back in 1995, the May Day Stadium held a 2 day Profesional Wrestling event in conjunction with the World Peace Festival. Headlining the wrestling was none other than the "Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

The 1st day attracted a small crowd of 150,000 paying spectators (this was April 28, 1995). Day 2 (April 29) saw a world record 190,000 people through the gates. When you consider that the largest wrestling crowd ever in the USA/Canada was 93,173 it shows how big pro wrestling is in Asia.

But you're right, I've not heard of much more except dance festivals there really. Heard nor read about other sports apart from the wrestling there.

Dundee
Bronze

Post by Dundee »

The webmaster of a Stadium website told me that in the May day Stadium there was a game between North Korea and Iran or Irak he doesn't know it exactly. I haven't heard about that match. Do you know anything about it?

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

hot_dogma wrote:I wouldn't like my chances of getting decent food there.
i bet you could get a decent HOT DOG :D

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

britishspud wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:I wouldn't like my chances of getting decent food there.
i bet you could get a decent HOT DOG :D
LOL

:lol: