Cross section- ANZ Stadium v MCG v SCG

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
forever MCG
Bronze

Post by forever MCG »

gyfox wrote:
cam wrote:Was it? I heard the atmosphere was rubbish. A lot of theatre-goers there, being the Olympic final. But hey, this is Sydney we're talking about. Worst supporters of sport in the universe!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He wasn't joking...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

forever MCG wrote:
gyfox wrote:
cam wrote:Was it? I heard the atmosphere was rubbish. A lot of theatre-goers there, being the Olympic final. But hey, this is Sydney we're talking about. Worst supporters of sport in the universe!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He wasn't joking...
He obviously wasn't there.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The crowd at the Olympic football final was pretty tame. I was at Stadium Australia for every event day they had at the Olympics. The crowds weren't parochial except for the Aussie athletes like Taurima, Freeman, etc. A friend of mine went to Athens and she said the same thing. People go to watch the Olympics. It's a different crowd.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Jeffles wrote:The crowd at the Olympic football final was pretty tame. I was at Stadium Australia for every event day they had at the Olympics. The crowds weren't parochial except for the Aussie athletes like Taurima, Freeman, etc. A friend of mine went to Athens and she said the same thing. People go to watch the Olympics. It's a different crowd.
Yes, an international crowd like will be at the World Cup final. :wink:

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

At the final there should at least be sorta 10% supporters from each team, so they will make good noise. For the olympics there was no real option for people to follow their team through without resorting to blind faith. Still won't be great, but better then the Olympics.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

beastjim wrote:At the final there should at least be sorta 10% supporters from each team, so they will make good noise. For the olympics there was no real option for people to follow their team through without resorting to blind faith. Still won't be great, but better then the Olympics.
No doubt there will be some Princes and hobnobs but most will be football fans wanting one last party after a football feast so it would be a pretty good atmosphere.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

gyfox wrote:
cam wrote:gyfox you seem to be on a bit of a mission here! :lol:
Well just to keep you busy, can you please provide us with cross sections of the venues where the last few world cup finals have been played at. I.e. Yokohama.
I haven't got a cross sections yet but I do have some approximate pitch areas in sq m for you:-

Yokahama ----------20,800 Includes athletics track,
MCG -----------------20,200 Venue for large fomat sports,
Olympia Stadion --- 16,400 Includes athletics track,
Maracana ----------- 14,700 Purpose designed football oval,
Soccer City --------- 13,200 Purpose designed football rectangle & moat,
Wembley ----------- 11,600 Purposed designed football concert venue,
FIFA ideal ---------- 10,600 Includes signage space on ground,
Emirates ----------- 10,300 Signage included in fences.

I am looking at all sorts of grounds as part of my design assignment so I will have more at some time in the future and if I find any worthwhile cross sections I am quite happy to post them. And yes I will work out SA's pitch area too.
Cam, just to complete the list:

Stadium Australia ---15,500.

Whoops.. typo, make that 15,000 sqm.

EDIT: And making it into a rectangular stadium increases its capacity to 92,500 with all seats inside FIFA's 190m requirement and an infield of only 12,750 sq.m.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

gyfox wrote: EDIT: And making it into a rectangular stadium increases its capacity to 92,500 with all seats inside FIFA's 190m requirement and an infield of only 12,750 sq.m.
Would that be 92,500 seats as compared to say the MCG's 95,000 seats? Or would the 92,500 be comparable to the MCG's 100,000 capacity with the standing patrons.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

beastjim wrote:
gyfox wrote: EDIT: And making it into a rectangular stadium increases its capacity to 92,500 with all seats inside FIFA's 190m requirement and an infield of only 12,750 sq.m.
Would that be 92,500 seats as compared to say the MCG's 95,000 seats? Or would the 92,500 be comparable to the MCG's 100,000 capacity with the standing patrons.
92,500 seats as compared to 95,000 at the MCG but I understand the MCG can be tweaked to 98,000+ seats fairly inexpensively. Stadium Australia could be modified to a similar capacity as this by pushing past the 190m FIFA envelope but at greater cost.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

gyfox wrote:
beastjim wrote:
92,500 seats as compared to 95,000 at the MCG but I understand the MCG can be tweaked to 98,000+ seats fairly inexpensively. Stadium Australia could be modified to a similar capacity as this by pushing past the 190m FIFA envelope but at greater cost.
I would of thought there would be a seat loss to change the lower bowl from an oval to a rectangular format to get the first patron closer to the field of play in the MCG.....the seats at the rear of the stand stay where they are so they are still outside the 190m arc.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

the crow wrote:
gyfox wrote:
beastjim wrote: Would that be 92,500 seats as compared to say the MCG's 95,000 seats? Or would the 92,500 be comparable to the MCG's 100,000 capacity with the standing patrons.
I would of thought there would be a seat loss to change the lower bowl from an oval to a rectangular format to get the first patron closer to the field of play in the MCG.....the seats at the rear of the stand stay where they are so they are still outside the 190m arc.
I wasn't talking about changing the MCG to rectangular. I was talking about changing Stadium Australia to rectangular where at the ends there is a reduced size lower bowl and a piddling little elevated tier. Its not a cheap alteration and to get the higher capacities would require major changes to the roof.

As far as the MCG is concerned the only way it could mimic a rectangular stadium would be to do a Stade de France to the bottom bowl.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ oops my bad...SDF is one of my favorite stadiums.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

the crow wrote:^ oops my bad...SDF is one of my favorite stadiums.
Internally it looks good in both configurations.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Sydneysiders dreaming of turning Homebush into a purpose built rectangular venue is pointless.

I laugh at all the energy that is continually put into this 'dream'...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:Sydneysiders dreaming of turning Homebush into a purpose built rectangular venue is pointless.

I laugh at all the energy that is continually put into this 'dream'...
You are right that it won't happen. The venue bleeds money and cannot afford it. The time for this to happen was after the Olympics. The venue/state government thought going multi-purpose was the way to go. With what we've seen of the last decade, it was probably the wrong choice.