Cross section- ANZ Stadium v MCG v SCG

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Nah not sure of figures for the MCG, sure they're around somewhere, will have a look. All I know is the Southern Stand holds 45,000.
I think the lower bowl would be more like 35,000-40,000 with the top 45,000-50,000.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Dan wrote:hmmm rugby/soccer....

then this is probably a better comparison

Interesting comparison in this image. It shows that when ANZ Stadium is set up for football the seats at the halfway line is 35m closer to the sideline than the same seat at the MCG. When taking the curve of the MCG into account and the fact that the MCG is 12 m longer than ANZ, approximately 60% of the capacity of the bottom bowl is closer than the front row seats at the MCG. This equates to about 20-22,000 seats.

When you consider that the pitch area at Wembley is another 3500 sq m (approx 6,000 seats) less than ANZ then it can be seen that there is a huge amount of permanent and temporary work on the bottom bowl of the MCG that needs to be done to compete with any world class football stadiums in other bids. Similarly, to be competitive ANZ really needs to be converted to a 90,000+ seat rectangular stadium. Depending on the design of a new 90,000 seat stadium in another bid, up to 33% of the seating capacity or 30,000 seats, could be closer than the front row of the MCG.

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

gyfox wrote: When you consider that the pitch area at Wembley is another 3500 sq m (approx 6,000 seats) less than ANZ then it can be seen that there is a huge amount of permanent and temporary work on the bottom bowl of the MCG that needs to be done to compete with any world class football stadiums in other bids. Similarly, to be competitive ANZ really needs to be converted to a 90,000+ seat rectangular stadium. Depending on the design of a new 90,000 seat stadium in another bid, up to 33% of the seating capacity or 30,000 seats, could be closer than the front row of the MCG.
No matter what they do to the MCG, most of the seats cannot be moved closer to the pitch. Stadiums where there lower tier can be moved in do not improve the distance for most of the crowd.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I just found a cross section of Wembley and at the halfway line the whole of the lower bowl and the middle tier and the first few rows of the top tier would be inside the fence of the MCG. The back row of the top tier at Wembley is 30 m closer to the pitch than the back row of the top tier of the MCG. It is not quite as bad at the ends. At the ends the back row at Wembley is 10m closer than at the MCG.

Wembley has 34,500 seats in the lower bowl, 16,500 in the middle tier and 39,000 in the top tier. It has no seats outside the 190 m maximum viewing distance and no seat has a restricted view.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

gyfox you seem to be on a bit of a mission here! :lol:
Well just to keep you busy, can you please provide us with cross sections of the venues where the last few world cup finals have been played at. I.e. Yokohama.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Nothing wrong with pointing out the MCG is freaking shithouse for football.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Correct, there isn't. Also nothing wrong with saying Homebush is far from ideal. But I'm proud to say I've been at a football game in Australia with a crowd of 95,000. And I look forward to to being at a World Cup Final with 100,000 at the same venue.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

cam wrote:Nah there isn't. But I'm proud to say I've been at a football game in Australia with a crowd of 95,000. And I look forward to to being at a World Cup Final with 100,000 at the same venue.
If either the MCG or Stadium Australia are put forward as our World Cup Final venue without major changes then we will not win the right to host the World Cup. Every other bidder will have stadiums considerably better than both of those stadiums in their bid. The sooner we realise this and start to plan how we will address the obvious shortfalls of both venues for football the better.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

cam wrote: And I look forward to to being at a World Cup Final with 100,000 at the same venue.
Tell him he's dreaming.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

cam wrote:gyfox you seem to be on a bit of a mission here! :lol:
Well just to keep you busy, can you please provide us with cross sections of the venues where the last few world cup finals have been played at. I.e. Yokohama.
I haven't got a cross sections yet but I do have some approximate pitch areas in sq m for you:-

Yokahama ----------20,800 Includes athletics track,
MCG -----------------20,200 Venue for large fomat sports,
Olympia Stadion --- 16,400 Includes athletics track,
Maracana ----------- 14,700 Purpose designed football oval,
Soccer City --------- 13,200 Purpose designed football rectangle & moat,
Wembley ----------- 11,600 Purposed designed football concert venue,
FIFA ideal ---------- 10,600 Includes signage space on ground,
Emirates ----------- 10,300 Signage included in fences.

I am looking at all sorts of grounds as part of my design assignment so I will have more at some time in the future and if I find any worthwhile cross sections I am quite happy to post them. And yes I will work out SA's pitch area too.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

cam wrote: I'm proud to say I've been at a football game in Australia with a crowd of 95,000. And I look forward to to being at a World Cup Final with 100,000 at the same venue.
The 95,000 for the game against Greece was great and a great atmosphere but the 104,000 at SA in 2000 was better.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Was it? I heard the atmosphere was rubbish. A lot of theatre-goers there, being the Olympic final. But hey, this is Sydney we're talking about. Worst supporters of sport in the universe!

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

cam wrote:Was it? I heard the atmosphere was rubbish. A lot of theatre-goers there, being the Olympic final. But hey, this is Sydney we're talking about. Worst supporters of sport in the universe!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hass
Bronze

Post by Hass »

Tancred wrote: No matter what they do to the MCG, most of the seats cannot be moved closer to the pitch. Stadiums where there lower tier can be moved in do not improve the distance for most of the crowd.
Which is why the old Mile High Stadium in Denver is one of my favourite grounds.

http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/MileHighStadium.html

The entire East Stand moved back and forth, ensuring that everyone benefited from the ground's retractable seating.