Australian Sport Attendance Records

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

I also saw the film, and found it amusing it looked like the running track had been ripped up by the time of the closing ceremony, so everyone walked around/across the remaining dirt.

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

I'll have to correct you for the Aussie Soccer attendancec record. I think that the record crowd is actually 114,000 people at Stadium Australia for the Olympic Gold Medal Final.

Go you mighty Penrith Panthers!

BenD
Bronze

Post by BenD »

[quote="jowel"]I'll have to correct you for the Aussie Soccer attendancec record. I think that the record crowd is actually 114,000 people at Stadium Australia for the Olympic Gold Medal Final.

Go you mighty Penrith Panthers![/quote]

The attendance that day was actually 98,000. I was there, on the top deck of the western stand. There was a big bank of empty seats in the northern stand, and a number of other empties elsewhere. But 98,000 was an incredible atmosphere, and the match was an absolute belter. Cameroon came from 2-nil down at half time to tie the game, then had two perfectly legitimate goals disallowed in extra time, before justly winning the shootout at the end. What a game.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Does anyone know the actual groung record for the MCG? I know the VFL grand final of 1970 attracted 121,696 people but I do believe that the visit by Dr Billy Graham surpassed this mark by quite a few thousand.

Ok I know that it wasn't a sports event but it would be interesting to know.

Also, again on a Victorian stadium, does anyone know the ground record for Telstra Dome? I think it was set by the WWE for their event held there in 2002 which attracted over 60,000 though I may be wrong. And would I be right in saying that the Australia v British Lions rugby union test in 2001 attracted more people to the Dome than any AFL match has in the stadium's short history?

And speaking of the WWE, does anyone know the attendence figure for their "Passport To Smackdown" event held recently in the Burswood Dome?

Tonic
Bronze

Post by Tonic »

from memory the British Lions match at the Dome attracted in the order of 56,000

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

I remember reading Smackdown got just under 10 000 to the Burswood Dome.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

I think the record for the G was just over 130,000 - they dont know exactly how many because people spilled out of the southern stand and on to the grass. pretty staggering figure, though
the 1970 crowd was 121,696 people for carlton/collingwood grand final (the one with Jezza's mark)

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

Does anyone know the highest ever attendance at Telstra Stadium?

Say, what are the 5 highest attendances there? The olympics would have pushed it up past 110,000 aye?

Then, what are the highest 'football' attendance records at Telstra Stadium? The rugby league grand finals and the wallabies matches should have pushed the records around 107,000 - 109,000 i believe.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think a Bledisloe game is the highest for either Rugby code with around 109K. The first NRL double header there got 107K.

I think the night Cathy Freeman won the crowd was over 110K.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

The biggest american football crowd was in 1999 when 73,811 watched the Broncos beat the Chargers 20-17.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

redback_original wrote:The biggest american football crowd was in 1999 when 73,811 watched the Broncos beat the Chargers 20-17.
It also has the dubious honour of the smallest crowd for a Gridiron match at Telstra Stadium. :lol:

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

Jeffles wrote:
redback_original wrote:The biggest american football crowd was in 1999 when 73,811 watched the Broncos beat the Chargers 20-17.
It also has the dubious honour of the smallest crowd for a Gridiron match at Telstra Stadium. :lol:
Or perhaps the largest Gridiron crowd at Telstra Stadium? (Unless there has been more than 1 match there...)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Both. It was the only match. Hence the laughter.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

...what was the crowd?

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

I swear that Gridiron crowd was an inflated figure. It looked more like 50000 at most, I remember the game very well. It was aslo suggested by columnists that is was inflated by the NFL. If they really got over 73000 why have they not been back?
They go to Japan all the time and play in front of a pack Tokyo Dome of 55000. The latest American Bowl (what they call t heir exhibition games) was played at the Osaka Dome infront of 45000 (full capacity). The NFL like repeating a good thing. In fact the American Bowl average crowd since 1986 is 52000 I remember reading.
If we really got 73000 to Telstra they would have been back by now.