Australian Sport Attendance Records

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

yep...Kooyong has never had any thing near 28,000..White City has always claimed that record.

As for Eden Gardens,they never count people on the way in.Its always an estimate which always tends to be overstated.Its a trend for 3rd world nations.It reminds me of the Azadi Stadium in Tehran.They claim it holds 130,000.....yeh right....

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

if the Iran stadium still allows standing, then it is easily big enough to hold 130.000, after all it seems bigger than hampden in scotland which held 150.000 in the days of terraces

as for rugby league, odsal in Bradford had a crowd estimated at over 120.000 for a 1954 cup final, however only 102.000 paid, the rest tore down fences.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

That's right swede. It was for the 1954 Challenge Cup Final Replay between Halifax and Warrington. Apparently it was played midweek. I have friends that have been to Odsal and they swear that this place could have accomodated 120K. Unofficially the Rugby League community recognises this as probably the world record. Alas, they only go on official records and the Homebush one will count.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

Interestnig to see which codes hold the individual records at the premier stadiums in Oz. League holds the SCG record (78056) for the 1965 Grand final between Souths and St George. Like Odsal, there were extrason the roof of thye SCG stands, and the nearby pavillions in the Showground. Unofficially, 100 000 people attended - making it the biggest crowd in NSW before Stadium Australia.

League also holds the records at Lang Park and ANZ in Brisbane. 58 000 is the ANZ record, 52 000 at Lang Park.

Unless it has been surpassed in recent years, Rugby League also holds the record for paying customers at the WACA, for a Parramatta v Balmain clash in the early 90's (I remember Mark Bugden beating the crapout of Benny Elias - great stuff!). Would have been a ground record had the wankers who are WACA members bothered to stop being snobs and not see the greatest game of all!

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Another Australian record broken tonight

NETBALL
10,507(Australian Record) -Sydney Superdome 12/09/2003
Sydney Swifts vs Melbourne Phoenix

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Didn't work that night. I was at a 21st.

But word from the mates at work was that it went very well. Ran smoother than the double header. Only downside was the lack of energy at the post match party (low spirits).

This record is only an Aust record. The world mark is 12,000 in England.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

I think the record for a lacrosse match in Australia is around 30,000 during the 1930s at the MCG in an international match Australia v Canada

I Love Lacrosse!!!!!!!

flyman
Bronze

Post by flyman »

The rugby league record is St George Illawarra V Melbourne (not st george there no longer)

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Go the mighty Storm!!

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

flyman wrote:The rugby league record is St George Illawarra V Melbourne (not st george there no longer)
Fixed..Apologies to all StGeorge-Illawarra fans and all people from the 'gong!

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Another Australian record broken today

Horse Racing
122,736-Flemington,Melbourne-Melbourne Cup 2003

(old record-121,015,Flemington,Melbourne-Melbourne Cup 2000)

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

What a weekend of sport in Melbourne. Last 10 days:

Sunday 26th - Eng v Sam @ TD - 50,000
Friday 31st - Int Rules @ MCG - 60,000
Saturday 1st - Vic Derby @ Flemington - didn't get the official crowd, but looked close to 100,000.
Saturday 1st - Aus v Ire @ TD - 55,000
Sunday 2nd - NSL @ Bob Jane - 6,000 (not bad compared to most NSL clubs)
Monday 3rd - Melbourne Cup Parade - est. 100,000
Tuesday 4th - Melbourne Cup @ Flemington - 122,000
And they'll be over 100,000 at Oaks Day Thursday.

riverinafl
Bronze

Post by riverinafl »

Saturday 1st - Vic Derby @ Flemington - didn't get the official crowd, but looked close to 100,000.

The official attendance was 97,059

CROWDS FLOCK TO CARNIVAL OPENING DAY

Former jockey Tony Vasil had the biggest win of his training career when his colt Elvstroem (Danehill(USA)-Circles Of Gold) took out today’s $1,250,000 Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby as the 2003 Melbourne Cup Carnival got underway at Flemington.

Under overcast but occasionally sunny skies, 97,059 racegoers descended on famous Flemington to see champion jockey Damien Oliver win his third Derby and Vasil his first.

It was the second-highest Derby attendance on record and compared favourably to last year’s record figure of 101, 898.

Dan
Silver

Re: AustralianSport Attendance Records

Post by Dan »

Dan wrote:Please correct me if Im wrong......

Baseball
104,000est-MCG,Melbourne Olympics 1956 (World Record)
Ill correct myself.....

This figure is rubbish..I was watching Fox Sports last night and I enjoyed the Official Film of the Melbourne 1956 Olympics..They included an extensive piece on that Baseball match.Unfortunatley,the MCG was lucky to be half full.Hard to tell,but maybe 40,000-50,000 tops.

james_
Silver

Re: AustralianSport Attendance Records

Post by james_ »

Dan wrote:
Dan wrote:Please correct me if Im wrong......

Baseball
104,000est-MCG,Melbourne Olympics 1956 (World Record)
Ill correct myself.....

This figure is rubbish..I was watching Fox Sports last night and I enjoyed the Official Film of the Melbourne 1956 Olympics..They included an extensive piece on that Baseball match.Unfortunatley,the MCG was lucky to be half full.Hard to tell,but maybe 40,000-50,000 tops.
I too saw the Melbourne film last night. I got the impression that the exhibition matches (Australian rules football and Baseball) were played following the opening ceremony, because they then said "...before the real competition got underway" or words to that effect. I guess my confusion was caused by the way the film was edited. My point is, the crowd at the baseball could well have been ~105,000 (opening ceremony crowd figure), but its more likely that the baseball was held separately, therefore a smaller crowd.

The film was great. Good quality colour images from nearly fifty years ago! It made me realise one thing about the redevelopment of the MCG. Whilst the Members and Olympic stands were held dear to people’s hearts, they had to go. In 1956 a cinder track (I think) was used for the athletics, in 2006 the contemporary equivalent, the tartan track (again I think), will be used. The stands from which spectators witnessed the great feats of our golden girls, belonged to that era. The stands from which spectators will witness the CG will be of our time. Stadiums must move with the times; the great achievements that take place out on the ground itself are what give stadiums their great history.