Australian Sport Attendance Records

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I was there. It didn't look like 73K. I thought it was a dubious figure at the time. But it is a big stadium. At that stage, 73K was two-thrids capacity. Maybe it wasn't inflated.

Possible reasons why the NFL haven't been back.

1) More corporate support in Japan than in Australia

2) The NFL probably got a huge state govt subsidy to come to Sydney to fill the new stadium

3) Not desireable for TV broadcasts.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

I must admit I thought the crowd on the CH9 broadcast looked substantially smaller... but then again I did have my head buried in a bucket of budweiser that day...

Jeffles makes some good points though...

I really don't think crowd size is all that important to the NFL when playing overseas (just look at NFL Europe where the crowds are <20k)... if it were they'd be playing in Mexico evey year (112,376 in 1994 104,629 in 1997 and 106,424 in 1999 - [who knows? these could be dodgy as well!])...

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

jowel wrote:Does anyone know the highest ever attendance at Telstra Stadium?

Say, what are the 5 highest attendances there? The olympics would have pushed it up past 110,000 aye?

Then, what are the highest 'football' attendance records at Telstra Stadium? The rugby league grand finals and the wallabies matches should have pushed the records around 107,000 - 109,000 i believe.
The highest official figure is 112,524 on Cathy's night during Sydney 2000.
I guess at one stage during the Opening Ceremony,there was close to 125,000 in the stadium at the one time.(110,000 in the stands,15,000 athletes,band members and other performers on the field)

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

**added the World Record Netball attendance to the main list**

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

***Updated Horse Racing and Netball records ,plus removed "World Record" status for Tennis****

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Who holds the tennis WR?

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Seville,Spain 2004

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=300639

"...........Attendance was given unofficially at 27,200, which would be a record for a sanctioned tennis match. The old mark was set in 1954 in Sydney, when 25,578 watched the United States defeat Australia in the Davis Cup final. ....."

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

**correction**

The Spain-Cameroon Football Final I had previously at 98,212,but both FIFA and Telstra Stadium websites actually list it at 104,098.

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/olympicsmen ... 00,00.html
http://www.telstrastadium.com.au/index. ... k_id=5.391

I cant remember where I got the 98,000 figure from but I think it might have been CNN.

I was at the game and considering the Olympic Stadium held 112,000 back then,8,000 empty seats seemed about right and they were mainly in the old end tiers.I know definatley they didnt announce any official attendance on the day

Ill go with FIFA and Telstra on this one

As for Netball,I heard maybe we may see that one broken shortly again????

Wally
Bronze

Post by Wally »

I never knew the NFL had come to Australia. I hope they come back.
Last edited by Wally on Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Dan wrote:**correction**

The Spain-Cameroon Football Final I had previously at 98,212,but both FIFA and Telstra Stadium websites actually list it at 104,098.

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/olympicsmen ... 00,00.html
http://www.telstrastadium.com.au/index. ... k_id=5.391

I cant remember where I got the 98,000 figure from but I think it might have been CNN.

I was at the game and considering the Olympic Stadium held 112,000 back then,8,000 empty seats seemed about right and they were mainly in the old end tiers.I know definatley they didnt announce any official attendance on the day

Ill go with FIFA and Telstra on this one

As for Netball,I heard maybe we may see that one broken shortly again????
When researching for an assignment earlier this year, I came across all the football attendances in volume three of the official post games report (http://www.gamesinfo.com.au/sp/AR/SPOLOR/index.html). Unfortunately the PDF now seems to be missing most pages for some reason, including the football ones (unless it's just my computer acting up), but I distinctly remember seeing the 98k figure for the gold medal match.

Make of that what you will.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

30,000 est at Mundine/Green last night.
Boxing attendances always seem to be estimates,therefore the 35,000est at Fenech/Nelson still remains the Australian record.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

So what was the crowd for the greatest ever boxing match - and one of the most famous sporting events - ever staged in Australia? That being, of course, the undisputed world heavyweight contest between Jack Johnson and Tommy Burns at Rushcutters Bay on Boxing Day 1908.

The Rushcutters stadium was built for this fight, but it was an outdoor stadium until 1911, when it was roofed, reducing its capacity to 15,000. At this stage, it became one of, if not the, largest indoor stadiums in the world, but I know the crowd for the 1908 title fight was far larger than this.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think Dan produced a photo of that fight on a Sydney Stadium thread many years ago. It was part of is campaign to be the "Old Photo King" of austadiums. :P
Last edited by Jeffles on Mon May 22, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Holden V8 would be rivalling him of late :lol:

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Jeffles wrote:I think Dan produced a photo of that fiht on a Sydney Stadium thread many years ago. It was part of is campaign to be the "Old Photo King" of austadiums. :P
viewtopic.php?t=68

;)