Is there a future for ANZ Stadium?

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Re: Is there a future for ANZ Stadium?

Post by yob »

If the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man from Ghostbusters attacked this stadium you wouldn't see it from the top deck.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

And the fundamental problem of the existing moveable stands on the sides (the poor quality of the grass) will be extended to the end areas well. Genius!

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

"futuristic looking ramps"

Yep - much better than those old fashioned looking ramps..

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

And including lots of artists impressions of the proposed development outside the stadium, despite none of it being included in the $350m cost....

Slow clap.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Would certainly help with noise management!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Port Adelaide covered seats with tarps at Football Park, and they were a laughing stock.

...and these guys are going to hang f***ing curtains over half the stadium?

Go for it. Oh my f***ing god. Do it. f**k I need this.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Innovative new bars.

Guys, does it have alcohol? Yep all right thanks mate. :hand:

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

Wow they are fixing the seating gradient
Last edited by Orel Puppington on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

yob wrote:Innovative new bars.

Guys, does it have alcohol? Yep all right thanks mate. :hand:
In Soviet Homebush, beer drinks you!

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

An unusually on-the-mark column from WSF's Mack.

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/_/sup ... rades-r685

Only thing I can't agree with about it or any discussion featuring Homebush generally is the gross exaggeration of the stadiums faults.

Really, it's a great large capacity stadium in the exact geographic location in Sydney that it should be. The sightlines are excellent, even from the dreaded ends. Anyone watch Aus v Japan tonight? The ground had a permanent running track around it.

Please let's stop sh*tting on ANZ for the wrong reasons so we can concentrate on sh*tting on it for the right reasons.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Spirit of Santos wrote:An unusually on-the-mark column from WSF's Mack.

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/_/sup ... rades-r685

Only thing I can't agree with about it or any discussion featuring Homebush generally is the gross exaggeration of the stadiums faults.

Really, it's a great large capacity stadium in the exact geographic location in Sydney that it should be. The sightlines are excellent, even from the dreaded ends. Anyone watch Aus v Japan tonight? The ground had a permanent running track around it.

Please let's stop sh*tting on ANZ for the wrong reasons so we can concentrate on sh*tting on it for the right reasons.
I see no reason why the govt won't spend money on all of the major stadiums in Sydney - ANZ, Allianz, SCG and Pirtek. The only question will be how much each will get and when.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Spirit of Santos wrote:Really, it's a great large capacity stadium in the exact geographic location in Sydney that it should be. The sightlines are excellent, even from the dreaded ends. Anyone watch Aus v Japan tonight? The ground had a permanent running track around it.
Stadium Australia had an athletics track around it. Same distance from the action. Ripping up the track doesn't magically drag the seats in.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

The ends were moved 10-15m in when they took the track out. You can't fit a track in there anymore.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

f**k me f***ing dead with something f***ed in the head how many f***ing times do they f***ing want to f***ing rebuild this f***ing piece of f***ing sh*t

DH
Silver

Post by DH »

So $350m effectively gets you an extended roofline. 20,000 seats that are moved around 10m closer to the in-goal area and more poor quality turf areas for oval sports. There is no way this proposal should see the light of day. How on earth can they claim that this will be better than Wembley when only 40k seats will be set up with rectangular field sight lines?

Is there any way we can create a stadium advocacy group that helps such incompetent stadium? Can we set up a political party that promotes the removal of all corrupt and idiotic infrastructure projects? Surely we can get run a ticket that successfully fills the seats of Jacquie Lambie and the motoring enthusiast guy in the senate in 5yrs time?

Yob’s rapid high level needs analysis of Sydney stadia has slightly altered my view as to which direction Sydney should go with their stadia.

Previously, I thought it would be cool / best to go with the following
• Stadium Australia – 85k retractable roof, rectangular which is a hybrid of Lincoln Financial Field’s shape combined with Cowboys Stadium tiers and roof
• SCG – 50k oval (upgraded with SCG Trust money only)
• SFS – 50k retractable roof, rectangular
• Parramatta – 40k rectangular
• Showground – 25k oval (western Sydney cricket & AFL, merged with Stadium Australia Membership in order to capitalise on the prank the AFL pulled on the NSW Govt)
• NRL Suburban Grounds – upgraded with LGA &/or private investment only

However, Yob is right the above plans for SFS and Parra is p!$$!ng public money into the wind, and if I am to be somewhat consistent with my political values I need to refine that to:
• Stadium Australia – 80k retractable roof, rectangular that is redeveloped in a hybrid version of Lang Park and Mercedes Benz Arena in Stuttgart (Criteria, all seats must have rectangular sight lines)
• SFS – low-40k fully roofed, rectangular and I would justify the extra capacity based on the importance of making this stadium FIFA World Cup compliant for our competitive bid in 2046, (I think the most cost effective design solution for this is to extend the existing roofline and convert the lower bowl in to a two-tier structure with corporate suits in the middle tier along the sidelines)
• Parramatta – mid-30k rectangular

The above could be done for say $750m (+/- $250m) and surely is the best case scenario for Sydney stadia over the next 20-30yrs without excessively wasting whatever money is available to throw at these venues. Happy to be proven otherwise though.