New Wellington Phoenix Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
alabakiwi
Bronze

New Wellington Phoenix Stadium

Post by alabakiwi »

dibo
Gold

Re: New Wellington Phoenix Stadium

Post by dibo »

So it'll cost $23 million in private dollars - at 7% over 20 years they're going to need to find $2 million a year just to pay that off. $1.6m in interest at the top.

Are they really going to save $1.6m by playing out of there?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

dibo wrote:So it'll cost $23 million in private dollars - at 7% over 20 years they're going to need to find $2 million a year just to pay that off. $1.6m in interest at the top.

I saw a report on the KPMG 2013 study into Hindmarsh the other day and it said that the average stadium rental cost in the A-League was $66.5k a game. Adelaide United pay the lowest at $33k a game. Using those numbers there must be some clubs that are paying $1-1.5m a season. I understand Phoenix have a much worse deal than the Hurricanes because of the limitation of the A-League license so they may be up towards the higher end.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

But the *net* difference has to be $1.6m - I've heard the Mariners deal was $7500 and because that's ludicrous by comparison to other quoted figures, I'm pretty happy to assume there's a decimal point out of place there. That puts the Mariners' stadium costs p/a (with 13 league games, a finals game, 3 ACL group games and a ACL 2nd round game) at $1.35m.

But even if they built a 12k stadium at Tuggerah at their centre of excellence and replaced rent of $1.35m had to service $1.6m a year, the cost difference would be $250k *plus* the operating costs of the stadium. It doesn't make much sense - if it did, everyone would be building their own grounds.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Other revenue streams like naming rights sponsor, ground sponsorship, catering, pourage etc would offset some of the difference but would these be shared with the council?

One possible benefit from playing in a boutique stadium is increased patronage because of the better atmosphere at games. Their long term average attendance at Westpac is 8,594 but their best season averaged 11,500-ish. If they could generate say an increase in attendance of 2,000 a game that would see another $390k income from membership/gate takings plus 25% more in merchandise and catering etc.

I've always found it difficult to make the sums add up for a club owning their own stadium but I've not considered something like a local community infrastructure trust putting up 55% of the cost.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I just saw another short report that said League and Union were also interested in using the ground.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Lets face it the cake tin is a dud...good on them.

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

the cake tin is too big for the Phoenix and somehow ok for AFL

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

dibo wrote:So it'll cost $23 million in private dollars - at 7% over 20 years they're going to need to find $2 million a year just to pay that off. $1.6m in interest at the top.

Meh. Wear the interest for a few years. The noose loosens each year and they taste freedom after 20 years.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Logically though, that really means that all sorts of clubs (but particularly Mariners, Heart, Brisbane and Sydney) should be considering funding their own grounds.

Hell, WSW would be in prime possie to build a ground that way. Build it at Blacktown Olympic Park or Homebush Olympic Park, terraces at both ends, have a masterplan that allows expansion over time.

It seems to have worked for the MLS.

Down the track you could build it into the operating model for new clubs. Instead of building new clubs in markets with stadiums and then trying to build/chase demand, you'd build new clubs and stadiums in markets with demand.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

dibo wrote:Logically though, that really means that all sorts of clubs (but particularly Mariners, Heart, Brisbane and Sydney) should be considering funding their own grounds.

Hell, WSW would be in prime possie to build a ground that way. Build it at Blacktown Olympic Park or Homebush Olympic Park, terraces at both ends, have a masterplan that allows expansion over time.

Down the track you could build it into the operating model for new clubs. Instead of building new clubs in markets with stadiums and then trying to build/chase demand, you'd build new clubs and stadiums in markets with demand.
Yes, that's a brilliant idea. In fact, so brilliant I'm sure all the A-League clubs have already put it into action.

Oh wait...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

dibo wrote:Logically though, that really means that all sorts of clubs (but particularly Mariners, Heart, Brisbane and Sydney) should be considering funding their own grounds.

Its a nice dream. I wonder what something like Keepmoat Stadium would cost here.

http://www.keepmoatstadium.com/the-stadium

Click on the virtual tour.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Not really.

One person's value system and circumstances rarely transplant well on to another.

Hell, it could be as simple as a rich benefactor thinking the upfront interest bill is worth it because it means he sees it happen in his life time. How do you quantify that?

Not all decisions are based purely on $$$. If they were then there'd be no such thing as a middle income professional in a country town - they'd all go to the city. Life says otherwise.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

And logically Heart should build their own stadium because I've been filling my car with petrol for 15 years and it's about f***ing time I saw something good come of it.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Surprise, surprise. Westpac Stadium want to keep Phoenix at their venue.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sp ... re-Phoenix

The Stadium's Master Plan has been developed to improve game day experience but how much difference does that make for the less than 10k Phoenix fans who have to experience the extremely poor atmosphere of a 34.5k venue that is the wrong shape?

At least the stadium's CEO is talking about the possibility of retro-fitting moveable stands into the venue but that doesn't overcome the issue of the venue being too big for the club.