Pictures of Princes Park

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Rob
Gold

Re: Pictures of Princes Park

Post by Rob »

Justin wrote: This picture shows the admission price to the Legends Stand, I wouldn't call that a premium price. Crowds didn't show up because the ground wasn't any good, no other reason.
I have no idea how much it cost, but it was certainly extra to sit in (not sure whether you got a reserved seat).
The economics at Docklands were based on the same premise applied to the whole ground. A month in, they decided that Victorians don't want to pay extra, so they made the top level all general admission (other than at Essendon games) and has been ever since. People paid a lot less to get in, and it seemed to amaze everyone that club returns dropped. $20 and you can park your ass on the wing - waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh the stadium deal is sh*t! Well stop charging f**k all to get in.

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

Another real problem with Princes Park is it's quite a distance away from the CBD and the Upfield Railway line which meant already overcrowded trams were made worse after a game due to a lack of high-capacity and frequency of trams available on the route 19.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Justin wrote:
Rob wrote:
yob wrote:^^ The ground averaged 22,000 in each of its last 3 full seasons (not including the final season because it only had one game scheduled, albeit with over 30k).
Without looking, i'd expect that they would all be Carlton games. 22k is a pretty sh*t average for a 'big 4' club.
After the Legends Stand was built, Princes Park hosted a regular season crowd of 8k or less a whopping once. Go back as far as 1996 to find the next one.
Crowds were sh*t. That's why clubs didn't want to play there. The idea was that people would pay a premium to sit in the shiny new legends stand, and the clubs would make a mint. Problem was that no-one wanted to do that, they wanted to pay their budget GA price and sit where they wanted, as was the culture in Melbourne at the time (and remains today).
Victorians will not rock up to third rate venues. They complain about Docklands FFS.

This picture shows the admission price to the Legends Stand, I wouldn't call that a premium price. Crowds didn't show up because the ground wasn't any good, no other reason.
The premium price was on top of the admission price when it first opened... effectively doubling the entrance fee... even Carlton fans avoided sitting there unless there was a big enough crowd to force people there.