Sydney Test sold out...

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

That's very true argee. For me, the GABBA is still te Lions fortress, the place where Simon O'Donnell caned the Poms in 1990/91, where it rains at the drop of a hat (when cricket is on. Otherwise it is sunshine), and where Ian Healy hands out helmets to the ground staff to stop them getting hit by hailstones.

The MCG too has memories for me and the WACA, and tey look totaly different. And the SCG is home to the French shock thrashing (twice) of the Kangaroos (Rugby League) in 1951, Newtown's heartbreaking loss in the 1981 Grand Final and Bradman's 452 n.o. Appearences are cosmetic. Memories and people are the substance.

With the SCG, the Members and Ladies Pavillion are protected I think. You couldn't knock them down. You'd probably have to relocate the stands (like the Bob Stand at North Sydney which came from the SCG) if the Trust went insane and were persuaded to.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Bloody Poms. Just got back from the Test. 20,000 people there today. The aggregate attendance was around 180,000. It's the second highest for an SCG Test ever. The highest being the England Test of 1946/47 wich got 194,000 people total. Test cricket is still alive.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

180,000 is very impressive, however i'm thinking that without the barmy army and the hysteria surrounding Steve Waugh... they wouldn't have gotten close.

A good indication of how alive test cricket is in next years test series.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

180,000 is very impressive, however i'm thinking that without the barmy army and the hysteria surrounding Steve Waugh... they wouldn't have gotten close.
Oh der! Take out that and it's a South Africa Test. But that's how you get big crowds. Tradition, heroes and a winning team. The 194,000 record for the SCG was in a Test match where the Don scored 234 (his highest Test score in Sydney) and it was against England. The Aussies won by an innings too.

But even this is an improvement. The last Australia v England Test at the SCG drew 143,000 and that was Mark Taylor's final Test. Same formula. Barmy Army plus the final farewell of a local hero/captain. So Sydney has definitely improved. Granted that last Test went for 4 days but taking out today's crowd (leaving 160,000) you've still improved 17,000 on the corresponding fixture or around 12%. That's great!

Marcus is right. We are in a high attendance era for cricket because we are winning heaps and it is being marketed very well. Long may it continue.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

The Barmy Army increased attendances all around Australia,not just Sydney.

Last week the MCG had its record attendance for 20 years of 177,000 and now the SCG just broke that with 181,000..Great effort by both cities.

While this doesnt prove much,it certainly proves that Test Cricket is on a huge high and crowds are flocking to all venues in record numbers,not just the SCG and SCG,but the WACA,GABBA and Adelaide.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yes it's great that so many people are watching the tests. I think playing the english brings more people (not including the barmy army) due to our great rivalry.

Here are the total crowds for all 5 tests:
1st: Brisbane - 81,277
2nd: Adelaide - 78,508
3rd: Perth - 56,957
4th: Melbourne - 177,658
5th: Sydney - 181,200
(Total - 575,590)

And you have to remember that the first three tests didn't go 5 days.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

The Barmy Army also improved the atmosphere at all five test matches. With their chanting and humming and cheering they turned what could have been a very dull & staid Aussie crowd into a cauldron which enhanced the whole excitement of the Ashes.
By the way, Steve Waugh should retire now or will suffer the humiliation of not being picked for the West Indies tour. He should rest on his great milestones during the Sydney test (third ever past 10,000 runs, equalling Bradman's century record, equalling Border's captaining record- all in front of a home crowd). The selectors wont pick him just because he desperately wants to beat India in a test series on the subcontinent (a goal you he has always expressed in the media)- he shouldn't be like so many champions who peak and only retire when they are not at their best (eg. Pete Sampras, Michael Jordan, Alain Prost). He should go out as a champion captain of the best side in the world and that is what he will be remembered for.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They won't drop a man who scored a ton in his last Test match, no matter how crap he went before. He still averaged plus 40 this series. Going out in Sydney would be a fairytale but he doesn't want that. I like sporting fairytales and think he should retire. Tugga doesn't feel the same. If that turns out to be his last Test, you know he was pushed.

Stupid gutless ACB. They did it with Border and Healy. And they'll do it again. Maybe not Tugga. But I'll put my house on it occurring soon.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Don't forget that Allan Border is now one of those selectors :!: :roll: :?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I know argee!!!!! And so is David Boon, another who was pushed (albeit dropped). You'd think they'd know better having suffered themselves.

But while the Aussies keep winning and more importantly, while they keep playing exciting Test cricket (yes it does exist. I've spent hours trying to convince people that it does), then the SCG and other grounds will continue to fill up.

And another thing. I am quite happy that Sydney beat Melbourne in the aggregate total. Granted the reduced capacity lowered the crowd for Day 1. But still. History will look at the numbers only :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

You have to remember that the WACA had the smallest capcity of all grounds and the days of the test match were sweltering and how pathetic England played, it was Australias most comprehensive victory of the season, with England not playing well for all 3 days. While in Brisbane,Adelaide, melbourne and Sydney all had competitive england for some of the match we had nothing, they looked shocking. The Barmy Army also didn't come here in as higher numbers as at the other test venues.
Last edited by Egan on Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

excuses, excuses, excuses!!

:lol: :P

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »