Asian Cup Stadiums 2015

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Rob
Gold

Re: Asian Cup Stadiums 2015

Post by Rob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Then why was the Olympic football tournament a success?? Because it was an 'event' The Asian Cup could have been marketed the same way as the Rugby World Cup in 2003. I don't think there'd be many folks who would give a fig about Romania v Tonga in the Rugger, but linking purchase of tickets to pool games to availability for the big prize(Socceroos tickets) would be the smart way to go. People like to go to 'events' Piggy-backing on sporting/cultural 'events' to drive tourism and drive up hotel occupancy is a no-brainer as the Victorian govt know very well, now the NSW govt wants in on the act. NSW is broke..SA& WA are not. twas short-sighted not to bid for hosting rights IMO.
RWC attracted tourists, Asian Cup won't. You only have to look at the crowds that attended some of the games when it was held in Qatar and S-E Asia - literally a few thousand. Might get a few from Japan and Korea for the finals, but it's unlikely those games would be anywhere but Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane anyway. Seriously - say they gave Perth a group with Iran, Iraq, North Korea and the UAE (i.e group D in the last AC). How many tourists do you think those group games would draw? You'd be wildly optimistic to suggest 500 per team. Although Iran v Iraq would be a good match to watch for the lulz. :D

I think they have the potential to market it like the RWC to sell tickets to locals, but that doesn't benefit the state, just the organisers. In the end it was an opportunity to promote the game outside the East Coast, and the FFA didn't take it up. It's not the fault of the state governments. FFA most likely just saw the dollars and took the safe bet.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

To be fair they left Wellington out as well.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I wouldn't mind watching North v South Korea...That would be interesting.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

My understanding is that Hindmarsh was considered for the bid and the SA Government was told what was required to bring the Stadium up to the standard stipulated in the AFC's Stadium Regulations and the SA Government decided it was not prepared to spend the money. Its a bit rich to blame the FFA for this. There was some political spin about the plan all along being to offer Adelaide Oval when it was completed only to find that the AFC would not accept an oval.

As for WA they didn't have a compliant stadium to offer when the bid went in and no commitment to build one.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Rubbish. At least a couple of the stadiums in Qatar had athletics tracks around them, as did almost every stadium for the 2007 Asian Cup. The argument that the AFC (or FIFA for that matter) wouldn't accept anything other than pure rectangular stadia is crap.

Given Australia was the only bidder for the event I doubt the AFC gave a rats ass anyway.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Then why was the Olympic football tournament a success?? Because it was an 'event'
Because it was the Olympics. The Asian Cup aint the Olympics.

Hey, I want the tournament to be a success, and I want the general public to embrace our game and our confederation. But we're just not there yet. Not even close.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:Rubbish. At least a couple of the stadiums in Qatar had athletics tracks around them, as did almost every stadium for the 2007 Asian Cup. The argument that the AFC (or FIFA for that matter) wouldn't accept anything other than pure rectangular stadia is crap.

Given Australia was the only bidder for the event I doubt the AFC gave a rats ass anyway.
Why would you look at past iterations of the Asian Cup when considering what is required for the Asian Cup 2015? I am aware of 2 re-writings of the Asian Cup Stadium requirements in the past 5 years and I am also aware that the bid document specified more than is in the Stadium requirements document. Similarly FIFA have re-written their requirements twice since Germany 2006.

It is a matter of record that both Adelaide and Perth did not have a compliant stadiums when the bid was formulated.
Football Federation Australia's head of the AFC Asian Cup 2015 bid Rob Abernethy yesterday confirmed Adelaide will be bypassed for the international tournament.

"Hindmarsh Stadium is non-compliant according to the minimum requirements of the AFC," Abernethy said.

"Perth is in the same predicament as Adelaide."
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/sa- ... 5769416654

The political spin I referred to is partly covered in the article linked below. I'm still looking for the reference to rejection of the oval format but it was in this too-ing and fro-ing between the SA Government and Opposition. I don't expect that the political spin was correct on the matter of no ovals but it would be a beautiful irony if it was.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/foo ... 6424908881

There is a media release from the Opposition that the article is based on.

The article linked above lists the following as the deficiencies of Hindmarsh Stadium.
The stadium's small capacity - 16,500 - lack of cover for patrons, small corporate and media facilities, and floodlighting failed to meet criteria.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I think some people are seriously overestimating the appeal this tournament will have.

Matches involving Australia and the final I expect to sell out.

But Bahrain vs. Mongolia or Taiwan vs. Bhutan...

Expect sub-5000 crowds. And the comparisons to the Olympics are just silly. The Olympics are a global event everyone cares about. The AFC Asia Cup is not.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Tick.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Timbo wrote:I think some people are seriously overestimating the appeal this tournament will have.

Expect sub-5000 crowds. And the comparisons to the Olympics are just silly. The Olympics are a global event everyone cares about. The AFC Asia Cup is not.
It makes me wonder what the FFA is going to do to create interest for the low value games, in a small number of cities that have been flooded with as many as 7 games each.

The ARU knew it had dud matches on its hands for the 2003 RWC so shifted those off to smaller cities where novelty value helped get the crowd figues respectable.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Simmo79 wrote:
Timbo wrote:I think some people are seriously overestimating the appeal this tournament will have.

It makes me wonder what the FFA is going to do to create interest for the low value games, in a small number of cities that have been flooded with as many as 7 games each.

The ARU knew it had dud matches on its hands for the 2003 RWC so shifted those off to smaller cities where novelty value helped get the crowd figues respectable.

The linked article from 442 gives some detail of the program to appoint about 50 community ambassadors to introduce immigrant communities to the A-League and the Asian Cup 2015.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/276703,a ... eague.aspx

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I would also say as 'events' go, Rugby World Cup smokes Asia Cup. Far easier to get hype going.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

you're probably right. If we were a 'football nation', there'd be a England 96 Euros-style build up but as it is there is also the Cricket World Cup on in Oz/NZL right? If we do well there will be some sort of a bandwagon effect and there will be football fans like me that will enjoy watching an entire tournment in our own timezone, but your average Joe in the streets probably will barely even notice that it is on.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:

you're probably right. If we were a 'football nation', there'd be a England 96 Euros-style build up but as it is there is also the Cricket World Cup on in Oz/NZL right? If we do well there will be some sort of a bandwagon effect and there will be football fans like me that will enjoy watching an entire tournment in our own timezone, but your average Joe in the streets probably will barely even notice that it is on.
Also, the Euros has England, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal...

We have powerhouses like Kuwait, Jordan and Bahrain!

Not exactly the same drawcard.

Also you're right - it is on at the exact same time as the Cricket World Cup. It'll get dwarfed.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

ICC World Cup website has it starting in 570 days so it starts 2 weeks after the Asian Cup is finished.