Drummoyne Oval has lights now????

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Timbo
Silver

Drummoyne Oval has lights now????

Post by Timbo »

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/fla ... 2c5nz.html

I found that article when I was looking online trying to find any photos of the new Manuka Oval lights (which are not fully up yet but found a photo of the first one, and they look fantastic - http://the-riotact.com/behold-the-light ... nuka/90640 ).

I'm seriously confused.

What possible reason could they have for lights at Drummoyne Oval on that scale. For those who didn't click on the link, they're massive lights that many unlit international cricket grounds would kill to have.

The highest possible profile match that ground would ever see is a Ryobi Cup match. How on earth could they justify that expense for a cricket match that would draw 5,000 people at best. The club rugby side isn't even in the top flight anymore (they were relegated from grade to suburban over a decade ago) so I don't know why they'd need them either.

Anyone able to (pardon the pun) shed any light on the logic behind this decision?

Simmo79
Platinum

Re: Drummoyne Oval has lights now????

Post by Simmo79 »

Actually I saw the Manuka lights for the first time this afternoon when I ventured up a few floors for a meeting. They look quite good on what passes for South Canberra's skyline

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

They have come up all right....they have a great shape.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I drive past Manuka Oval every day. Didn't notice em.

dcb
Bronze

Post by dcb »

The main driver is actually AFL for Drummoyne oval. The Swans will play a NAB cup game there. The AFL, Fed. and State Govt. put up most of the funds for the lights. The council 'claims' that the ground will be used for a Big Bash game next year and state one days games. I agree, seems to be overkill!

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

It's a nice little ground, right on the Parramatta river, but geez those are massively ridiculous lights.

There is no way it will be used for a BBL game. Far too small. One dayers, possibly, but this now means that Sydney has Drummoyne Oval, the SCG, North Sydney Oval, Bankstown Oval, Blacktown International Sportspark and ANZ Stadium as venues that have hosted State or higher level of cricket. Overkill?

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

The Ryobi Cup is only 8 matches now.

NSW always take one to Canberra and always play one at NSO.

So at most, it could host two matches.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Wowie they are massive overkill! Almost up there with the lights at Blacktown. Have a look at this page: http://www.burwoodscene.com.au/2012/11/ ... mera-anger - there's some good photos there, of what they've done to the view. There's a group trying to get them pulled down.

In regards to Manuka, Have a look at this pic: https://twitter.com/aflnswact/status/28 ... 45/photo/1

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Just drove past Drummoyne now.

They are obscene. Tear them down now!

I know this is a pro-stadium website but they are just horrible!

Someone on the council must have been getting kickbacks for an obscenity like that to be allowed to happen.

Brucetiki
Bronze

Post by Brucetiki »

Seems to be a habit with NSW sports grounds having overkill light towers - Coffs Harbour International Stadium would be another ground with overkill light towers as well.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Brucetiki wrote:Seems to be a habit with NSW sports grounds having overkill light towers - Coffs Harbour International Stadium would be another ground with overkill light towers as well.
Was it Coffs Harbour that used to host Socceroos internationals back in the "Glory Days of Oceania" when we'd beat American Samoa 30-odd to nil?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Ha ha...that cracks me up....I'm sure all the locals were all for it when it was first suggested...now....waaaaaaaaaaa....

Brucetiki
Bronze

Post by Brucetiki »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Seems to be a habit with NSW sports grounds having overkill light towers - Coffs Harbour International Stadium would be another ground with overkill light towers as well.
Was it Coffs Harbour that used to host Socceroos internationals back in the "Glory Days of Oceania" when we'd beat American Samoa 30-odd to nil?
Sure was :lol:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Yes, Damian Mori was playing at the time.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »