Rugby revival for Victoria Park

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
NRLandMore
Bronze

Rugby revival for Victoria Park

Post by NRLandMore »

THE rugby codes want to make the city their home, install lights at a revamped Victoria Park and make use of its heritage grandstand.

The SA Rugby League, SA Rugby (Union) and Touch Football SA are working together on plans to install lights around the City Council's "premium" field in front of the grandstand, to allow for marquee night games and regular night competitions.

They say the prominent location will help boost the profile of their sports.

Rugby league would be the main user, shifting the bulk of its games to Victoria Park, where several new playing fields are expected to be completed by mid-year.

SA Rugby League general manager Ken Kennedy said most clubs were based in the outer suburbs and some had no playing fields of their own, so a central base would be ideal.

"We'd be looking at playing our junior and senior competitions there," he said. "The exposure in the middle of the city is what we miss. People can do other things in the city after their games."

SA Rugby (Union) wants to play interstate matches, club finals and possibly a weekly "match of the round" under lights in Victoria Park, as well as staging carnivals for union and rugby sevens when the other fields are finished.

Chief executive Lachlan Clark said the grand final played at Victoria Park last year attracted a crowd of 4000 and received "rave reviews" from clubs and spectators.

"We're hoping to use it as SA Rugby's premier ground," he said. "It's a great venue. With the addition of lights we could play interstate matches and all sorts of things there."

The City Council has approved a $50,000 grant to SA Rugby League towards the $190,000 cost of the lights, on the conditions the rugby codes would not have exclusive use of the main field, that the field would not be fenced and the council would approve the design of the lights. The rugby codes will seek the rest of the funding from the State Government, a task potentially made tougher by proposed cuts to community sports grants (see story, Page 5).

"(The plan) is rather dependent on the State Government supporting our application," Mr Kennedy said.

Touch football is already played extensively in the south parklands next to Victoria Park.

Touch Football Australia state operations manager Tim Wyld said an extra field with lights was much needed and looked forward to carnivals combining all three codes and possibly finals played as curtain raisers to rugby finals.

"The opportunity for us is we can move literally right next door with really good facilities with the grandstand and lights," he said.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood backed the lighting plans but stressed the main field must still be available for other sports including equestrian events.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6555722603

Good to see the three *cough* Rugby codes working together.

Timbo
Silver

Re: Rugby revival for Victoria Park

Post by Timbo »

I suppose having a suburban base would be a good thing for grassroots Rugby. I understand of the 7 mainland states and territories, SA is where both codes by far do it toughest.

The other states could learn a thing or two about the co-operation from the South Australian example.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Looking at it's location, i'm amazed they didn't develop that as the main soccer venue in Adelaide instead of Hindmarsh. Or is it one of those things that can't have anything done to it because it's part of the f**king parklands?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Rob wrote:Looking at it's location, i'm amazed they didn't develop that as the main soccer venue in Adelaide instead of Hindmarsh. Or is it one of those things that can't have anything done to it because it's part of the f**king parklands?
It's got to be nimbyism or another form of planning stupidity. Firstly, Adelaide. Secondly, Hindmarsh can't be developed much further so if SA Govt does want a larger rectangular stadium they've got to look at a bigger plot of land.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:
Rob wrote:Looking at it's location, i'm amazed they didn't develop that as the main soccer venue in Adelaide instead of Hindmarsh. Or is it one of those things that can't have anything done to it because it's part of the f**king parklands?
It's got to be nimbyism or another form of planning stupidity. Firstly, Adelaide. Secondly, Hindmarsh can't be developed much further so if SA Govt does want a larger rectangular stadium they've got to look at a bigger plot of land.
Hindmarsh has room to grow. A bunch of years ago I posted the original Olympics proposals, you'd find them on a search if this forum weren't a piece of crap. Basically the stands followed the Manton St boundary and the southern side was built right up, much like a paper plane shape.

Whether you'd do it though is another thing though as it's a lot of extra work compared to a green field.

Considering what was at Hindmarsh before the Olympic redevelopment it doesn't look to have been a wise choice as far as future proofing goes. That said we're looking at it with 2013 eyes. Back then 4,000 was a blockbuster.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

IIRC(and we're talking about 1990-ish here) the 2 sites looked at for the premium Soccer venue in Adelaide were an upgrade of Hindmarsh and a greenfields build adjacent to the State Hockey centre at the Pines. The Pines would have had all the allure of a suburban shopping mall, there's no pubs anywhere near the ground. I still think with creative architecture, hindmarsh could be re-developed to hold up to 20k. It might require a narrowing of Manton street, but it could be done. Some of the historic grounds in England are much more hemmed in by terrace houses, Anfield being but one. Craven Cottage is hemmed in by the Thames and they are still looking at a redevelopment. Hindmarsh is the home of Soccer in SA it should stay that way. As for parking??? Now that the Adelaide Entertainment Centre are running the place, it should be a simple matter to organise for the AEC's new multistory carpark to be opened for Adelaide United games. agree that 4,000 was a block-buster in NSL terms, anybocy that recorded a 4k crowd in the HAL would be kicked from pillar to post in the A-League era. Now fans expect all clubs to aim for the 10k minimum and work from there.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

yob wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:
Hindmarsh has room to grow. A bunch of years ago I posted the original Olympics proposals, you'd find them on a search if this forum weren't a piece of crap. Basically the stands followed the Manton St boundary and the southern side was built right up, much like a paper plane shape.

Whether you'd do it though is another thing though as it's a lot of extra work compared to a green field.

Considering what was at Hindmarsh before the Olympic redevelopment it doesn't look to have been a wise choice as far as future proofing goes. That said we're looking at it with 2013 eyes. Back then 4,000 was a blockbuster.

The Auditors Report into Hindmarsh Stadium has some alternative concept plans.

http://www.audit.sa.gov.au/publications ... ndix4.html

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

gyfox wrote:
yob wrote:[<snipped>>

The Auditors Report into Hindmarsh Stadium has some alternative concept plans.http://www.audit.sa.gov.au/publications ... ndix4.html

Cheers Gyfox,

I'd love to see an artists impression of the WoodsBagot Plan Option C for the Eastern Stand and even Option D. It would solve a lot of problems that currently exist at the stadium..lack of cover being one...lack of corporate facilities being the other significant one I can think of.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Gyfox, that's the one I posted all those years ago.

The paper plane design would be great to look at but as far as watching football goes, a bit of a wank having all the noise coming at you from one side.

If we're putting forward our wish lists, I'd go for a green field in the Adelaide Oval precinct and consolidate all the major football codes, cricket and tennis. Future investment in the precinct would benefit all codes and stop the perrenial bitch fight over who gets what.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
gyfox wrote:
yob wrote:[<snipped>>

The Auditors Report into Hindmarsh Stadium has some alternative concept plans.http://www.audit.sa.gov.au/publications ... ndix4.html

Cheers Gyfox,

I'd love to see an artists impression of the WoodsBagot Plan Option C for the Eastern Stand and even Option D. It would solve a lot of problems that currently exist at the stadium..lack of cover being one...lack of corporate facilities being the other significant one I can think of.
A rectangle stadium about where uni #1 is would be perfect, then redevelop Memorial Drive into a proper arena& tennis centre with the centre court being of NCAA Hoops standard, moving the 36ers from the boondocks into the city ...brilliant sporting precinct right there. It would chew up at least 1 m^2 of parkland so not going to happen in a zillion years:(

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

IIRC(and we're talking about 1990-ish here) the 2 sites looked at for the premium Soccer venue in Adelaide were an upgrade of Hindmarsh and a greenfields build adjacent to the State Hockey centre at the Pines. The Pines would have had all the allure of a suburban shopping mall, there's no pubs anywhere near the ground. I still think with creative architecture, hindmarsh could be re-developed to hold up to 20k. It might require a narrowing of Manton street, but it could be done. Some of the historic grounds in England are much more hemmed in by terrace houses, Anfield being but one. Craven Cottage is hemmed in by the Thames and they are still looking at a redevelopment. Hindmarsh is the home of Soccer in SA it should stay that way. As for parking??? Now that the Adelaide Entertainment Centre are running the place, it should be a simple matter to organise for the AEC's new multistory carpark to be opened for Adelaide United games. agree that 4,000 was a block-buster in NSL terms, anybocy that recorded a 4k crowd in the HAL would be kicked from pillar to post in the A-League era. Now fans expect all clubs to aim for the 10k minimum and work from there.
It's not about the size - the Hindmarsh capacity looks fine for the near future at least. It's about the location - the ground at Victoria Park just looks to be a lot more accessible, and it's just up the road from the Hutt St precinct so there are entertainment options nearby. Well, as much as Adelaide could offer anyway.

I know a few years ago the nimby brigade cracked the shits when it was proposed to build a new grandstand at Victoria Park racecourse (never mind that the old one was falling to pieces - not their problem I guess) so I suppose it's likely that this site was never considered to avoid pissing them off.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Rob wrote:
It's not about the size - the Hindmarsh capacity looks fine for the near future at least. It's about the location - the ground at Victoria Park just looks to be a lot more accessible, and it's just up the road from the Hutt St precinct so there are entertainment options nearby. Well, as much as Adelaide could offer anyway.

I know a few years ago the nimby brigade cracked the shits when it was proposed to build a new grandstand at Victoria Park racecourse (never mind that the old one was falling to pieces - not their problem I guess) so I suppose it's likely that this site was never considered to avoid pissing them off.
I've never had a problem getting to and from hind marsh stadium. It's just 1 block from South Road if you must drive and also only one block from the terminus of the tram from Glenelg that travels via the city. Not every sports stadium in Australia can be like Parramatta Stadium, just a short walk from a restaurant and entertainment street(church street). Hindmarsh is just in need of a minor spit and polish upgrade for fan amenities.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:It's not about the size - the Hindmarsh capacity looks fine for the near future at least. It's about the location - the ground at Victoria Park just looks to be a lot more accessible,
Far from it unfortunately.

It is only central to a small pocket of suburbs that are hemmed in by the Adelaide Hills. That area happens to be the shortest boundary to the hills of the metropolitan area besides the deep south around Flagstaff hill. It is not a large suburban area, nor is it high density.

Car access is limited because it's adjacent to a large choke point for traffic, that being Britannia Roundabout. I remember driving buses through that area and it can literally take 15 minutes to get a break in traffic to turn on to the main roads there. Also when Clipsal is on it nearly chokes of all east-west corridrs. As a kid during the grand prix days I used to have to sleep at a friend's house in the eastern suburbs because I wouldn't get to school otherwise! It's much like trying to get from one side of Sydney Harbour to the next if the bridge and tunnel weren't there.

Public transport wise it's a black spot. No rail whatsoever. Also the bus routes don't serve the area well. The outer north to south routes do not continue through that area. Only the inner south routes which then continue through the city centre and then to the north east only. This is a small portion of the entire metroplitan area.

To be honest, this area is easier to access from Mt Barker then it is for the outer south, outer north and western suburbs.