Egate Stadium (never built)

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Re: Egate Stadium (never built)

Post by yob »

gyfox wrote:Purely rumour based on speculation by a bloke who once took out the sister of a bloke who dated a former girl friend of AD's brother way back when,
Okay I'll admit it, I analysed this sentence looking for lesbians.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

yob wrote:
gyfox wrote:Purely rumour based on speculation by a bloke who once took out the sister of a bloke who dated a former girl friend of AD's brother way back when,
Okay I'll admit it, I analysed this sentence looking for lesbians.
Is that how you decide whether a source is reliable? ;)

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:
Rob wrote:If you really thought that regular season AFL games were planned to be played there then you're either stupid or ignorant.
Or watched them play West Coast there...
I said planned to be played there. That game was played there out of necessity, i.e to avoid the necessary embarassment of playing a game at ANZ in front of 6000 people.

It was probably a possible location for the home ground back in the early stages, but no money was ever spent to allow for that purpose. Otherwise the main grandstand would have been a lot bigger, or at least allowed for the possibility of making it bigger.

In the end, it's a small community facility (not unlike a hundred similar facilities all over the country) and it appears to be pretty well utilised. I can't see why anyone would call it a waste of money, especially given both the AFL and Cricket Australia kicked in a couple of million each. It's probably only the usual anti-AFL suspects that would complain that not enough GWS training sessions aren't held there.

NRLandMore
Bronze

Post by NRLandMore »

Rob wrote:
NRLandMore wrote:
Rob wrote:Great, someone else that hasn't actually seen the ground.
Might want to do some research before throwing claims around mate. I've been to the stadium a number of times for different events including:

The Stadium's open day
State Cricket matches
NAB cup

I am a local to the area after all.
Rob wrote:The way you muppets are talking is like they built a 20,000 seat venue there. It's got a grand total of about 2,000 seats! How the hell was it ever going to host AFL matches?
Yes, the ground listed on this site as the "Blacktown Football Ground" has 2,000 seats and a total capacity of 10,000.

Now it's 2013, GWS had plans to move their main training facility to Sydney Olympic Park, which now makes it all the more useless.
Yet GWS remain a major user of the ground.

From their twitter feed just today:

GWS Giants ‏@GWS_Giants
The @SlaterGordon GIANTS Academy trials kicked off in Blacktown yesterday, find out all the details here: http://bit.ly/13FeGXd #standtall

Yeah, the place is a white elephant. It just lies empty.

If you really thought that regular season AFL games were planned to be played there then you're either stupid or ignorant.
We have differing opinions on the definition of the word "major".

Piefan39
Bronze

Post by Piefan39 »

Surely the Egate stadium proposal would be more cost effective than trying to renovate Punt Road or Princes Park? Who wants an old do'er upper when we can have a nice new boutique stadium already near a train line?
Surely this proposal makes more sense?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Piefan39 wrote:Surely the Egate stadium proposal would be more cost effective than trying to renovate Punt Road or Princes Park? Who wants an old do'er upper when we can have a nice new boutique stadium already near a train line?
Using Metricon as a guide E-Gate would be $155m + site costs including remediation due to contamination.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Except Metricon, has been stuffed slightly to allow for Commie games

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

gyfox wrote:
Piefan39 wrote:Surely the Egate stadium proposal would be more cost effective than trying to renovate Punt Road or Princes Park? Who wants an old do'er upper when we can have a nice new boutique stadium already near a train line?
Using Metricon as a guide E-Gate would be $155m + site costs including remediation due to contamination.
Metricon wouldn't work, it doesn't provide enough cover from the Melbourne weather.

Might also be better to use AAMI Park as a guide IRT cost.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:
gyfox wrote:
Metricon wouldn't work, it doesn't provide enough cover from the Melbourne weather.

The costing model I look at has grandstand roofing as 11% of costs so a bigger roof might double that.

Why would a boutique stadium be built to AAMI standards? I thought the idea was to save clubs money not lumber them with funding the construction and operation of an iconic stadium.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

the crow wrote:Except Metricon, has been stuffed slightly to allow for Commie games
The point I was alluding to is that for a new stadium they wouldn't get much change out of $200m. Upgrading an existing stadium might be substantially cheaper depending on the number of existing seats and the quality of back of seating tier facilities.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

gyfox wrote:
Rob wrote:
gyfox wrote:

The costing model I look at has grandstand roofing as 11% of costs so a bigger roof might double that.

Why would a boutique stadium be built to AAMI standards? I thought the idea was to save clubs money not lumber them with funding the construction and operation of an iconic stadium.
Because a cheap stadium isn't going to mean sh*t if no-one shows up. Not that it has to be 'iconic' with some wanky looking roof, but it can't be like Metricon either.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:
gyfox wrote:
Rob wrote:

Because a cheap stadium isn't going to mean sh*t if no-one shows up. Not that it has to be 'iconic' with some wanky looking roof, but it can't be like Metricon either.
Not sure where you get the idea that Metricon is a cheap stadium. $6k a seat is middle range. Building to AAMI Park standard of $10k a seat would be way above what is needed in my view. By the way it is not the roof that chews up the cost, it is the quality of the accommodation behind the seating bowl. Does a boutique stadium need multiple restaurants, theatrettes, swimming pools, gymnasiums, conference rooms, office suites for multiple tenants like AAMI has?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

AAMI is a cheap stand and it's roof is also the facade. Alot of the cost is below the concourse in the facilities etc as mentioned above.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

gyfox wrote: Not sure where you get the idea that Metricon is a cheap stadium. $6k a seat is middle range.
You reckon? Not in Australia in the 21st century IMO. Compare it to the NIB redevelopment - The new stand looks very similar to Metricon and it's over $10k a seat.
Have you got any examples of what you consider a 'cheap' stadium? Other than temporary stands, it's hard to see how you could build anything for under $5k a seat. Maybe the York Park developments?
Building to AAMI Park standard of $10k a seat would be way above what is needed in my view. By the way it is not the roof that chews up the cost, it is the quality of the accommodation behind the seating bowl. Does a boutique stadium need multiple restaurants, theatrettes, swimming pools, gymnasiums, conference rooms, office suites for multiple tenants like AAMI has?
Yeah, i'd agree with that from what i've seen. When you build all sorts of sh*t into the design it appears to significantly increase costs. But that's what makes Metricon cheap. The bulk of stadium amenities are external to the design of the stands. And when you combine that with a ground that is bloody hard to get to, you only need some rain and people stay away.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:
gyfox wrote: Not sure where you get the idea that Metricon is a cheap stadium. $6k a seat is middle range.
You reckon? Not in Australia in the 21st century IMO. Compare it to the NIB redevelopment - The new stand looks very similar to Metricon and it's over $10k a seat.
Have you got any examples of what you consider a 'cheap' stadium? Other than temporary stands, it's hard to see how you could build anything for under $5k a seat. Maybe the York Park developments?
Building to AAMI Park standard of $10k a seat would be way above what is needed in my view. By the way it is not the roof that chews up the cost, it is the quality of the accommodation behind the seating bowl. Does a boutique stadium need multiple restaurants, theatrettes, swimming pools, gymnasiums, conference rooms, office suites for multiple tenants like AAMI has?
Yeah, i'd agree with that from what i've seen. When you build all sorts of sh*t into the design it appears to significantly increase costs. But that's what makes Metricon cheap. The bulk of stadium amenities are external to the design of the stands. And when you combine that with a ground that is bloody hard to get to, you only need some rain and people stay away.
The work at NIB included 2k new seats at the northern end, removal of temporary stands and replacement with 3k new stand at the southern end and 10k new stand on the eastern side. Thats 15k seats which was originally budgeted as $82.5m but was upgraded to $95.4m with the inclusion of extra work which I recall was in the corporate area. At $82.5m its $5.5k a seat and at $95.4m its $6.4k a seat.

York Park total cost is about $33m for 12k seats (plus 10k standing which cost virtually nothing) which is $2.75k a seat. Its a mix of permanent and temporary stands.