Egate Stadium (never built)

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Egate Stadium (never built)

Post by yob »

http://www.pta.com.au/web/?page_id=3884

Stumbled across this on another site. PTA proposal for the boutique Melbourne AFL stadium.

Shelved, as far as I know.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Re: Egate Stadium (never built)

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Nice find... can't say I've ever seen this proposal

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Never to be built.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

The problem with it is that someone had to pay for it.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Kind of looks like "The Oval" in London.....

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

it's like the Epping-Parramatta rail link in Sydney never going to happen

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Rob wrote:The problem with it is that someone had to pay for it.
Andy D is a master of getting various govts(federal & state) to fund his wish list for stadiums..said with genuine admiration.
Where exactly was it supposed to be built please?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
Rob wrote:The problem with it is that someone had to pay for it.
Andy D is a master of getting various govts(federal & state) to fund his wish list for stadiums..said with genuine admiration.
Where exactly was it supposed to be built please?
Not quite sure where that comes from.....the only 2 that Vlad has had a lot to do with are Metricon and Skoda. And AAMI Park cost more than both combined, and Vlad had to put a shitload of AFL money into both those to get the deal done. They remain the only sporting organisation in Australia that contributes significantly to stadia capital works. Adelaide Oval, the new Perth stadium (if it ever gets built) and the SCG are large developments, but the AFL hasn't had a lot to do with those getting built - AFL clubs are major beneficiaries because, well, they fill stadiums more than anyone else.

But to answer your question, it's the land just to the west of North Melbourne train station.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The AFL contributed 10 million to Skoda Stadium.

Find me someone who wouldn't like to own their whole house after saving for a deposit.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

yob wrote:The AFL contributed 10 million to Skoda Stadium.

Find me someone who wouldn't like to own their whole house after saving for a deposit.
In the same vein, Metricon was built by the QLD taxpayer at roughly $200m and handed over to the AFL to run for approx $10m. That is why football should get Andy D involved if it ever wants to get good/better stadium deals for the 10 HAL clubs. Stadium deals make or break profitability.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

In the same vein, Metricon was built by the QLD taxpayer at roughly $200m and handed over to the AFL to run for approx $10m. That is why football should get Andy D involved if it ever wants to get good/better stadium deals for the 10 HAL clubs. Stadium deals make or break profitability.
Roughly $200 million? It was $140 million, well short of $200m. Not much different to the cost of the NIB stadium redevelopment - the one that the Glory only pay $35,000 in rental fees per game to use (and they still complain about it). Put $10 million in the bank and you could earn more interest than it costs the Glory in stadium rent.

As a comparison, Skilled Park cost $160 million and AAMI Park cost $268 million. All paid for by the government.

'Poor stadium deal' is usually the cry of the team that can't draw crowds, or at the very least, draw a small proportion of the capacity of the ground.
If you want to play in a big cavernous stadium then you're probably going to pay big cavernous fees.

The Carrara development I don't think was any sort of magical negotiation. The city needed a venue like that, particularly given it was bidding for the Commonwealth games. I thought the Skoda deal was unexpected, although I believe the government only funded about half of that, with the AFL and the RAS covering a lot of the cost. Governments tend to like it when they can obtain funding from other sources for infrastructure like that. The AFL also have credibility - you can be sure that teams are going to be around to use the facility. I heard people crying out for a redevelopment of Dairy Farmers stadium up north for the use of the Fury - what a complete waste of money that would have been given they disappeared after just 2 years.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I think the Cowboys may benifit more from a Dairy Farmers re-development. The Fury were never the ones pushing that.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Rob wrote:

Roughly $200 million? It was $140 million, well short of $200m. Not much different to the cost of the NIB stadium redevelopment - the one that the Glory only pay $35,000 in rental fees per game to use (and they still complain about it). Put $10 million in the bank and you could earn more interest than it costs the Glory in stadium rent.

As a comparison, Skilled Park cost $160 million and AAMI Park cost $268 million. All paid for by the government.

'Poor stadium deal' is usually the cry of the team that can't draw crowds, or at the very least, draw a small proportion of the capacity of the ground.
If you want to play in a big cavernous stadium then you're probably going to pay big cavernous fees.

The Carrara development I don't think was any sort of magical negotiation. The city needed a venue like that, particularly given it was bidding for the Commonwealth games. I thought the Skoda deal was unexpected, although I believe the government only funded about half of that, with the AFL and the RAS covering a lot of the cost. Governments tend to like it when they can obtain funding from other sources for infrastructure like that. The AFL also have credibility - you can be sure that teams are going to be around to use the facility. I heard people crying out for a redevelopment of Dairy Farmers stadium up north for the use of the Fury - what a complete waste of money that would have been given they disappeared after just 2 years.
Like the training facility the NSW govt funded for GWS that they abandoned weeks into their first season?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote: Like the training facility the NSW govt funded for GWS that they abandoned weeks into their first season?
Bam!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

^^ But to be fair, you can't begrudge a guy for pretending Blacktown doesn't exist.