Cricket World Cup 2015 Stadiums.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Re: Cricket World Cup 2015 Stadiums.

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Compromise is presumably Adelaide gets a QF so misses out on Australia game. Adelaide also gets India/Pakistan and an England game whereas Brisbane gets sweet FA other than Australia/Bangladesh. Even the bloody WACA has a better schedule.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Brisbane got hammered.

Surprised there were no games for the Gold Coast, Geelong, Newcastle or Launceston.

Ridiculous we had to co-host with NZ. It's deprived regional Australia of a fair share of games. With our infrastructure we deserved the whole thing.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Timbo wrote:Brisbane got hammered.
Having completely ditched its variety and heritage in design (unlike the current redevelopments with the Adelaide Oval and the SCG), I can't say I'm sad. It's great for the Lions obviously but as someone not interested in AFL I hate the place.

Disappointed with the lack of regional action though as someone who missed the '92 tournament and always found it interesting how such little venues all over the place hosted WC games.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Surprised there were no games for the Gold Coast, Geelong, Newcastle or Launceston.

Ridiculous we had to co-host with NZ. It's deprived regional Australia of a fair share of games. With our infrastructure we deserved the whole thing.
Agree... should've gone alone

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I thought NZ was regional Australia

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Yep, agreed again. NZ seem to have got half of the games, which given they have just the one city over 500,000 and a plethora of shitty little venues seems absurd. Bugger me, Nelson is hosting matches? Bunbury has more people. This little country ground will be hosting 3 world cup games:

If they wanted matches, then it should have been decided on merit across both countries, not the ridiculous situation of NZ giving games to tin pot little towns simply because they were co-hosts. You'd think Metricon or Skilled would be better venues than Hicksville reserve.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

That's simply gorgeous.

It still ain't a world cup ground.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'm happy with the joint bid. If you were to weight rights to host the tournament purely on population, Australia and NZ on their own only realy have half a claim on hosting. Combined at least you pitch at a market roughly half the population of England.

As for the venues, you have to cater for the whole range of fixtures. Scotland V Holland at the MCG doesn't serve anyone's interests. If there wasn't the odd drop dead gorgeous regional venue for those games (like pictured above) we'd all be criticising the tournament for having 98,000 empty seats. Can't have a bet each way.

These small venues on their own aren't world cup material. But think of the whole package. Visit a new place, a carnival atmosphere at a country ground, an international event, put some stupid wine stands around the ground... all the pieces pull together to make something marketable. Makes more sense than "sorry you missed out on Australia V England, but we still have seats for Bangladesh available."

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:I'm happy with the joint bid. If you were to weight rights to host the tournament purely on population, Australia and NZ on their own only realy have half a claim on hosting. Combined at least you pitch at a market roughly half the population of England.
It's clearly not based purely on population though, otherwise Australia would host 80% of the games. It should have been a model like the World Cup in South Africa - most games there with a few games in Zimbabwe and Kenya.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:
yob wrote:I'm happy with the joint bid. If you were to weight rights to host the tournament purely on population, Australia and NZ on their own only realy have half a claim on hosting. Combined at least you pitch at a market roughly half the population of England.
It's clearly not based purely on population though, otherwise Australia would host 80% of the games. It should have been a model like the World Cup in South Africa - most games there with a few games in Zimbabwe and Kenya.
Are you volunteering Perth for Holland v The Moon or whatever the hell they dredge up to have enough teams? :lol:

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

As for the venues, you have to cater for the whole range of fixtures. Scotland V Holland at the MCG doesn't serve anyone's interests. If there wasn't the odd drop dead gorgeous regional venue for those games (like pictured above) we'd all be criticising the tournament for having 98,000 empty seats. Can't have a bet each way.

These small venues on their own aren't world cup material. But think of the whole package. Visit a new place, a carnival atmosphere at a country ground, an international event, put some stupid wine stands around the ground... all the pieces pull together to make something marketable. Makes more sense than "sorry you missed out on Australia V England, but we still have seats for Bangladesh available."
But you can do all that at small venues in Australia. Lilac Hill in WA, North Sydney Oval. Even Bradman Oval in Bowral could probably be used with some temporary seating put in.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'll take a trip to New Zealand over Bowral any old day of the week.

The beauty of the country not withstanding, it's faster and cheaper to access New Zealand cities over Australian cities and regions depending on your location. The whole country is faster and cheaper to access than Perth from Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne...

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

OK, I would just like to say this;

Since Australia and New Zealand last hosted an event (the 1992 world cup), and before the 2015 WC the following countries have hosted or co-hosted this number of ICC events:

1-Zimbabwe (2003 ICC WC)
1-Pakistan* (1996 ICC WC)
2-Kenya (2000 ICC CT, 2003 ICC WC)
2-West Indies (2007 ICC WC, 2010 ICC WT20)
3-Bangladesh (1998 ICC CT, 2011 ICC WC, 2014 ICC WT20)
3-South Africa (2003 ICC WC, 2007 ICC WT20, 2009 ICC CT)
3-India (1996 and 2011 ICC WC, 2006 ICC CT)
4-England (1999 ICC WC, 2004 and 2013 ICC CT, 2009 WT20)
4-Sri Lanka (1996 and 2011 ICC WC, 2002 ICC CT, 2012 ICC WT20)

*Pakistan was also meant to host the 2011 WC and the 2009 CT however these were moved for security reasons.

Now, I am aware that many of these events were co-hosted however it is just bloody ludicrous that Sri Lanka with a population smaller than Australia has hosted four events since we last hosted one!

Before anyone says it's due to TV rights and India being king, I know I know. But it drives me absolutely spare. The West Indies, which when you look at the areas that play cricket, have a population of barely four million and they've hosted two ICC events - which nobody went to due to cost. Kenya aren't even a full member and they've had two events!

I don't understand how Australia hasn't been thrown a Champions Trophy. We've been given the 2020 World T20 but by then Sri Lanka will have hosted 6 events! It's madness.

I think a fairer distribution would have seen Australia host the 2015 World Cup on its own and New Zealand be the solo host of either the 2014 or 2016 World Cup - and given that as it stands the three T20 World Cups from 2012-16 are all on the subcontinent it would have hardly been unfair.

[/rant]

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:
Rob wrote:
Are you volunteering Perth for Holland v The Moon or whatever the hell they dredge up to have enough teams? :lol:
I don't know if you've looked at the schedule, but Perth isn't exactly getting the blockbusters. And rightly so, the WACA's a shithole. By the time the World Cup comes around there's probably going to be a stand missing and a dirty great big apartment block at cow corner.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Nelson,NZ is getting a game....Dubbo must feel robbed!