Cricket World Cup 2015 Stadiums.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

Cricket World Cup 2015 Stadiums.

Post by Egan »

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/cri ... 6261309671

With Adelaide now submitting its bid for the Cricket World Cup Final, thought I'd start a thread for disucssions.

Obviously New Zealand will also bid for the Final. They reckon Adelaide Oval could get a Semi Final...

Boba Fett
Silver

Re: Cricket World Cup 2015 Stadiums.

Post by Boba Fett »

Adelaide has buckley's of hosting the final, but with a capacity of 50,000 they would have a very good shot at a semi.

I would have thought the MCG is a dead cert for the final and maybe SCG and Adelaide for the semis. Eden Park for the opening game and/or ceremony?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It could be an exact copy of 1992. Semis at the SCG and Eden Puke. Final at MCG. Unlike 1992, Pukukera park in New Plymouth, Mackay, Albury, Berri and Ballarat will probably miss out. James Sutherland is talking up the other cities to create interest. Sounds a lot better than "Melbourne is a lock for the final" which it is. Biggest stadium and, just as important, it is the seat of power for cricket in Australia.

As usual, the regional venues interest me. Gold Coast will be in the running. Geelong could get a gig, Canberra and Newcastle maybe too.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Jeffles wrote:Biggest stadium and, just as important, it is the seat of power for cricket in Australia.
How so? Big crowds at Boxing Day, loads of international players from NSW (especially if you're including those who've gone to other states).

It's obviously crucial to cricket, but *the* seat of power seems a little strong.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

CA's HQ is in Melbourne. OK maybe it's an exaggeration to say "just as important" but the decision makers for this are largely apparatchiks who like their hook turns.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

LOL, fair enough.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

The seat of power?

If New South Wales didn't exist, we'd be struggling to beat Zimbabwe.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I don't disagree that playing strength is more NSW than Vic but you need to look at political stregnth when talking about seat of power.

The other thing I left out above is that CA's "talk" of moving it away from the MCG is the typical genius tactic of the adminsitrator to get $5m out of the state governemtn in a "bidding process" to host the final.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cairns and Darwin would be ruled out due to it being the wet season...

Do you think Christchurch would be capable of holding any games? It seems the temporary stadium is not designed with cricket in mind?

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Why do we need Noo Zulund? We can muster 12 stadiums easily, if not more.

As for the final, the bidding process is just :wank:

Jeffles is correct re. the seat of power. Just like the football WC was ever going to be played anywhere but (Lowy's FFA based) Sydney.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I think the ICC likes to allocate the tournament to regions rather than nations. If countries are side by side, they share the wealth to get a bit of cash. We could host it on our own no problems but NZ would permanently be left out.

A lot can happen in thre years but CHCH would be racing against the clock. Shame for them. Dunedin's too small. If CHCH get nothing, I think Queenstown would be the only South Island venue. Am I right that Trafalgar park in Nelson is too narrow with the new stand?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Jeffles wrote:The other thing I left out above is that CA's "talk" of moving it away from the MCG is the typical genius tactic of the adminsitrator to get $5m out of the state governemtn in a "bidding process" to host the final.
Like the NRL screwing NSW taxpayers out of squillions on the threat of moving the GF to Brisbane. What a joke.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Totally. And the Vic Govt paying v$30m to secure the AFL Grand Final when the MCG has 27,000 more seats than the next largest oval stadium in Oz.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-09-03/a ... ay/1416068

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:I think the ICC likes to allocate the tournament to regions rather than nations. If countries are side by side, they share the wealth to get a bit of cash. We could host it on our own no problems but NZ would permanently be left out.

A lot can happen in thre years but CHCH would be racing against the clock. Shame for them. Dunedin's too small. If CHCH get nothing, I think Queenstown would be the only South Island venue. Am I right that Trafalgar park in Nelson is too narrow with the new stand?
I'd ensure that Lincoln with temporary facilities could get up...

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Jeffles wrote:It could be an exact copy of 1992. Semis at the SCG and Eden Puke. Final at MCG. Unlike 1992, Pukukera park in New Plymouth, Mackay, Albury, Berri and Ballarat will probably miss out. James Sutherland is talking up the other cities to create interest. Sounds a lot better than "Melbourne is a lock for the final" which it is. Biggest stadium and, just as important, it is the seat of power for cricket in Australia.

As usual, the regional venues interest me. Gold Coast will be in the running. Geelong could get a gig, Canberra and Newcastle maybe too.
All the stadiums in Australia will also be a lot better than they were in 1992, with the exception of the WACA which will be worse, especially if they've actually built that residential block at deep mid wicket like they keep promising. Plus you can add an extra one in Sydney that will be used.

Launceston might get a game as well, it's a better ground than anything in Canberra and Newcastle. Not sure what the f**k in Newcastle is capable of holding a world cup match.