SCG Northern Stand

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
gyfox
Platinum

Re: SCG Northern Stand

Post by gyfox »

I'd be surprised if more spending on grandstands at the SCG is a priority for the Trust. Its capacity will rarely be tested and total patronage there is around 60% of total patronage at the SFS. I'd expect their priority would be to do some improvements to the SFS that overcome its obviously deficiencies and also to fund some of the precinct work in their Master Plan to try to improve the overall spectator experience and increase the yield for both venues.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

gyfox wrote:I'd be surprised if more spending on grandstands at the SCG is a priority for the Trust. Its capacity will rarely be tested and total patronage there is around 60% of total patronage at the SFS. I'd expect their priority would be to do some improvements to the SFS that overcome its obviously deficiencies and also to fund some of the precinct work in their Master Plan to try to improve the overall spectator experience and increase the yield for both venues.
The total patronage figure is pretty meaningless. Surely the average figure is much more relevant? I'm reasonably sure the SCG has the higher figure if that's the case.

Not arguing that the SFS also needs some money spent on it though! And the Trust has produced numerous glossy brochures indicating what they would like to do for both stadiums. The always end the blurb by admitting that funding has not been secured...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Boba Fett wrote:
gyfox wrote:I'd be surprised if more spending on grandstands at the SCG is a priority for the Trust. Its capacity will rarely be tested and total patronage there is around 60% of total patronage at the SFS. I'd expect their priority would be to do some improvements to the SFS that overcome its obviously deficiencies and also to fund some of the precinct work in their Master Plan to try to improve the overall spectator experience and increase the yield for both venues.
The total patronage figure is pretty meaningless. Surely the average figure is much more relevant? I'm reasonably sure the SCG has the higher figure if that's the case.

Not arguing that the SFS also needs some money spent on it though! And the Trust has produced numerous glossy brochures indicating what they would like to do for both stadiums. The always end the blurb by admitting that funding has not been secured...
If you take in all match days at the SCG the average attendance there according to the 2012-13 Annual Report is approximately half of the SFS. If you remove the "non commercial" cricket events the average attendance at the 19 cricket and AFL match days is 20.3k while at the 34 Union, League and Football match days at the SFS the average attendance is 18.0k. If you include the two concerts at the SFS the average attendance there goes up to 19.5k. I wouldn't expect the match day average costs between the venues to be much different because of the significantly increased costs of surface preparation at the SCG. Capital works that improve the match day experience at the SFS impact on nearly double the events and 60% more fans and deliver the opportunity to generate increased income from naming rights, ground hire, service contracts, advertising etc.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Boba Fett wrote:
Orel Puppington wrote:Bring on getting rid of the Bill O'Reilly stand after the ICC world cup and replacing it with an extension of the Victor Trumper stand.
Yeah, I would have thought that was the obvious next step (and it appears to be included in the artist's impressions of a 'finished' redeveloped SCG), but in all their promo stuff, the Trust keeps talking about a redeveloped Churchill and Brewongle stands (in the same style as the new Noble and Bradman Stands).

Of course, none of it's funded yet, so it's all wishful thinking at the moment.
The AFL will kick in some cash for a redeveloped AFL western edge to the SCG.....but the SFS needs some attention.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

gyfox wrote: If you take in all match days at the SCG the average attendance there according to the 2012-13 Annual Report is approximately half of the SFS. If you remove the "non commercial" cricket events the average attendance at the 19 cricket and AFL match days is 20.3k while at the 34 Union, League and Football match days at the SFS the average attendance is 18.0k. If you include the two concerts at the SFS the average attendance there goes up to 19.5k. I wouldn't expect the match day average costs between the venues to be much different because of the significantly increased costs of surface preparation at the SCG. Capital works that improve the match day experience at the SFS impact on nearly double the events and 60% more fans and deliver the opportunity to generate increased income from naming rights, ground hire, service contracts, advertising etc.
I guess that the other consideration is what venue will be able to increase the number of events/patrons

For the SCG there is the opportunity to win back the few extra Swans/finals games from Homebush - but not much else new from cricket except maybe 1 T20 game

At the SFS there is the chance to get some extra NRL games if they can attract Souths back fulltime (not in the near future) or a few games of other teams and the potential for some Wallabies and Socceroos games

weatherhead
Bronze

Post by weatherhead »

Boba Fett wrote:
Orel Puppington wrote:Bring on getting rid of the Bill O'Reilly stand after the ICC world cup and replacing it with an extension of the Victor Trumper stand.
Yeah, I would have thought that was the obvious next step (and it appears to be included in the artist's impressions of a 'finished' redeveloped SCG), but in all their promo stuff, the Trust keeps talking about a redeveloped Churchill and Brewongle stands (in the same style as the new Noble and Bradman Stands).
''

Yep the plan is for Churchill/Brewongle to be same as the Bradman/Noble & O'Reilly to be like Trumper. Images below from SCG Masterplan Video.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

the 'flying' (or whatever an architect would call them) rooves ensure that there's less apparent 'bulk' to the new noble/bradman and brewongle/churchill stands, so while they're obviously much larger than the ladies and members, they don't completely dominate them.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

roofs are sh*t

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

Please do something for SFS like new bucket seating/ doing somethin bout that roof!

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Wow, from this:

to a finished stand in two months?!?!?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Make that available seats......in the front next to the tractor chute and next to the members stand you can see the dugouts being formed for the Baseball on in march next year.

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

Here is the latest from SCGT website

Works on the Bradman, Noble and Messenger Stands are progressing well, on target to be operational for the Ashes Test Match commencing on 3 January 2014.
While practical completion for the new stands is expected early in 2014, we are working towards opening the majority of facilities for day one of the Test Match.
All seating in the new stands (all levels) will be installed and in use. The roof will be in place providing cover for 85 per cent of the seating area. Facilities/amenities to be available include:

Level One
Completed with all food and beverage outlets and amenities operational.

Level Two
Brewers Pavilion and Sports Bar and amenities to be open with a combination of permanent and temporary food and beverage outlets also operational.

Level Three
Media Centre including TV broadcast, radio and written press to be completed and operational.

Level Four
While some of the amenities will be completed it is expected that premium temporary facilities will be implemented on this level and on the terrace to meet the needs of Members during the Test Match.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Boba Fett wrote:Wow, from this:

I've heard some of the worker's on the site have been given a rocket...

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

bazza wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:Wow, from this:

I've heard some of the worker's on the site have been given a rocket...
Was that the one that was smuggled into Allianz Stadium and let off during the SFC v WSW game? :wink:

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/syd ... 2wwh2.html

Gosh, what a surprise :roll:

So, "first class facilities" now include temporary food outlets and an unfinished roof...