New stadium debate (Canberra)

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Rob
Gold

Re: New stadium debate (Canberra)

Post by Rob »

I don't think you can compare costs of building a stadium in a third world country to building one in Australia.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Rob wrote:I don't think you can compare costs of building a stadium in a third world country to building one in Australia.
Why not? We're talking about Canberra, not a proper city.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They redeveloped it in 2000. WTF? I think Bruce has at least 15 years left. The only old part of the ground is the Mal Meninga Stand, built in the 1980s. You could rebuild that with increased capacity if you needed to or just with more modern facilities and you'd be fine!

Don't know where they'd get the money for a whole new ground. On prime CBD land. Seems like a waste. But if they do, any new ground should be rectangular. Let the oval sports develop Manuka if they need to.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

'Title will fast-track enclosed stadium'

Date
September 12, 2012

Michael Chammas

Raiders chief executive Don Furner believes a Raiders premiership would fast-track a proposal to build an enclosed stadium in Canberra's CBD by 2017.

Fairfax obtained figures which revealed the Raiders had run their home matches at a loss on six occasions this year.

On a cold and miserable night in the nation's capital back in round 24, the Raiders attracted just 8860 fans for their home game against the Roosters, losing $14,000 because their game day operations cost more than what they earned at the gate.

The ACT government has proposed a $280 million development, which would require $180 million of funding from the federal government, to be built in the heart of the city.
Advertisement

Furner believes a title this season would only add merit to the push from the Raiders, as well as Super Rugby franchise ACT Brumbies, to have the roofed stadium built in the next five years.

''If we win the grand final we'd get even more leverage to push that,'' Furner said. ''I think we're the one city in Australia that deserves an enclosed stadium. The plans are afoot. We've had meetings with the ACT government. The government themselves are very keen on building a closed stadium back in the city.

''I think it would be fantastic for Canberra. It would bring some life back into the city.

''Our players would move in there and we'd move our training base back in there. It'd have restaurants and pubs like the SFS and Melbourne, which is not what Canberra is renowned for.''

While the Raiders didn't pocket the profit - because the finals are run by the NRL - they still lured almost 25,000 fans into Canberra Stadium for last Sunday's final against the Sharks.

Furner believes an enclosed stadium would attract similar crowd figures on a weekly basis in Canberra.

''Absolutely we can get it weekly if we have it,'' he said.

''I went to Origin two in Melbourne, and I'd never been to that enclosed stadium. It was cold and windy outside, but inside it was 22 degrees. It did dawn on me how good it could be for Canberra.

''We'd love to get more Sunday afternoon games. I always ask to get the reverse of what the Cowboys have got. They get Saturday nights because it's too hot in the day up there. Imagine how hard it is for us getting people to come out in zero or minus one temperatures on a Monday night in the middle of August.''

The stadium, which would be used for rugby league, rugby union and football, would also provide the club with an opportunity to boost its corporate partners, who are reluctant to brave the cold conditions and fork out big money for outdoor seating.

Sport Minister Andrew Barr was in New Zealand during the rugby world cup earlier in the year and looked at Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin as a model for what could be built in Canberra.

The state government has already shown drafts of the stadium to the Raiders.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z26AcnbKvb

-----------------------------------------------------

As a Raiders season ticket holder - yes, there are still some of us left - I'm a bit torn on this issue.

It's bloody freezing in that stadium even when we get day games. It's horrific for night games in the middle of winter.

And I think only about 10% of the seats are under cover. That is something that needs to be fixed as the second there's a hint of precipitation in the air our already meagre crowd number get split in half.

The Dunedin Stadium, especially if it was in civic, would be a great model for Canberra.

However, my main problem stems from the fact that we do so well in an open air stadium due to the other clubs struggling with the cold conditions. I'd be in favour of a new stadium with a better roof, but unsold on the idea of it being enclosed to be honest.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Furner is choking the chicken on that on.....if only Mal stayed in politics longer than 3 mins...:)

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

So the Raiders win a couple of games and suddenly that's justification for a new stadium - ha ha!!!

Interestingly, Dunedin's Forsyth Barr Stadium is considering moving to a full articial playing surface - http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/22280 ... t-new-turf.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I think it's just Furner trying to use the limited window of exposure he has while it's still there. It's a club that normally gets no coverage at all outside of Canberra, but at the moment they're all over the Sydney and Brisbane sport sections as they're this years Cindarella story.

This stadium has been mooted for a while. They announced a masterplan for the replacement of Bruce Stadium years ago but the sports minister down there is a bit of a goose. Without wanting to get into a League vs. Aussie Rules thing, the ACT Sports Minister is an AFL fan and has been pushing for a single stadium with retractable seats, despite the fact there are only two full-time ACT sports teams, both of whom use a rectangular playing field.

When I was in town on the weekend, someone I know who works in the ACT government is saying that they've done some viability studies and they want a new stadium built in the CBD because a lot of people who come to Canberra for Super Rugby or NRL games just drive into the stadium and then leave. The idea is it'd be a massive boost for the CBD in terms of restaurants/pubs/clubs/hotels as it'd mean with better conditions at games they'd get more people and be inclined to stay.

Additionally, they've shifted from the idea of converting Bruce Stadium into an 18,000 seat AFL/Cricket stadium and are now thinking along the lines of building retractable lights and more seats at Manuka, as they feel it'd be better to do that for both Cricket and AFL, however they want certain assurances (such as a Big Bash team licence) before they're willing to procede there.

Again, I don't think Furner really thinks that winning will get us a new stadium, these plans have been afoot for a while. He's just trying to strike while the iron is hot and the cameras are rolling.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Love how Canberra stadium is obsolete, in Perth it would be considered brand new compared to Subi.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Giants, Saints to light up Manuka for first time

Date
October 17, 2012

Chris Dutton

Night-time AFL is poised to make a spectacular debut in Canberra when the GWS Giants play St Kilda in April for what will be the first premiership fixture under the new Manuka Oval lights.

In a leap forward for the sport in the capital, The Canberra Times can reveal the Giants will take on the Saints in a twilight match in round three next year.

The AFL will issue next year's draw later this month.

But it is understood that after more than a decade as an AFL venue, the Giants-Saints contest on April 13 at 4.40pm will be the first time a premiership match has been played at night in Canberra.
Advertisement

The Giants will play a pre-season match at Manuka as well and it is expected to be played under lights to avoid the heat.

The ACT government had been limited in the past to which matches could be played in Canberra with only Saturday or Sunday afternoon timeslots available.

However, the Manuka Oval transformation with lights to be installed in December will allow greater flexibility in the 10-year partnership with the AFL's newest team - the Giants.

GWS chief executive David Matthews hoped for a bumper crowd.

''We are very excited about playing the first game under lights at Manuka Oval,'' Matthews said.

''It is a first for the AFL in Canberra and another first for the Giants.

''Canberra was the scene of our first win this year and we expect we will get a big crowd along to what will be an historic occasion for the nation's capital.''

The match will be part of Canberra's centenary celebrations and should attract a bumper crowd.

The government is also negotiating with the league to host one of the AFL's functions in Canberra with the season launch, the Brownlow Medal night or a Hall of Fame dinner.

The Giants will play three premiership games and a pre-season match in Canberra again next year, but the clash with St Kilda is the only one locked in.

Given the match is being played early in the season, fans won't have to suffer in the capital's coldest months.

The Giants won two games in their inaugural season with their breakthrough triumph coming at Manuka Oval against the Gold Coast Suns.

Cricket will be the first sport to use the lights at Manuka Oval.

Canberra's premier grade cricketers could get a chance to test them in December when the lights are turned on for the first time before Christmas. They will then be used for the Prime Minister's XI and Australia's one-day international against the West Indies next year.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl ... 27plx.html#

--------------------

Well, I guess this changes things a little. No need to convert the existing stadium to an AFL venue now if they build a new one.

Also should mean a Big Bash team in Canberra when they expand.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Dunno whether you'd want to play too many night games in Canberra in winter. It's cold enough during the day.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:Dunno whether you'd want to play too many night games in Canberra in winter. It's cold enough during the day.
Just add it to the list of ideas transplanted from other cities with no consideration given to local conditions and context. Along side the idea of a CBD stadium in Canberra - a decentralised town with no rail system, no CBD, and no B.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

The Raiders and the Brumbies manage night games alright?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

the cold creates home ground advantage for the Raiders (Brumbies' season is over before winter officially starts).

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

If teams are winning, fans are more likely to ignore the weather. If you are losing, the weather moves u on the list of excuses not to go to a game. For corporates though, I think comfort is an issue regardless of team performance.

The way the Canberra teams are playing, they should probably assume the worst.

panfas
Bronze

Post by panfas »

Some information about the proposed city stadium

http://www.citytolake.com.au/