New stadium debate (Canberra)

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Re: New stadium debate (Canberra)

Post by yob »

Terrible location. Canberra is designed around cars. The chosen location is one of the hardest to reach in Canberra. You can get to Tuggers faster from north side up the parkway. It's a design transplanted from another city to fix another city's problems and it doesn't fit the context.

Bruce is the best location in Canberra, and here come the pubes pissing money up the fence trying to find a problem to solve.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

So what is wrong with keeping Manuka for cricket & footy, then building a Forsyth Barr type stadium for the brumbies/raiders/future HAL team on the old pool site? That would seem sensible to me.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Drag a rag over Bruce Stadium. Done.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

The ACT government says the proposed CBD stadium will have a roof – it’s just a question of whether it will be a retractable roof or a fixed one.

It will be cold comfort for the 7023 Canberra Raiders fans and 14,020 ACT Brumbies supporters who braved rain, hail and freezing cold at Canberra Stadium on the weekend, but ACT sports minister Andrew Barr told The Canberra Times on Sunday a ‘‘roof is a certainty’’.

The government hopes to redevelop the Civic area down to Lake Burley Griffin, with a new stadium part of a decade-long project that is subject to an approved business model.
ACT sports minister Andrew Barr.

ACT sports minister Andrew Barr. Photo: Jay Cronan

The first step in the $200-300 million project is relocating the Olympic pool and then planning will begin on the stadium, with construction hoped to begin before 2020.
Advertisement

Barr said a roof was a necessity and would allow the stadium to be used for more than just sport, with concerts and other major events also possible year round.

He said having a retractable roof, similar to Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium, would be more expensive than a fixed one, which has been used in Dunedin.

The government was keeping in contact with the New Zealand authorities to ensure there were no turf problems related to being enclosed, Barr said.

‘‘A roof is a certainty, it’s just a question of what sort of roof, whether it’s Etihad-style – opening and closing – or a Dunedin-style – which is more of a greenhouse operation,’’ Barr said.

‘‘The other reality of why a roof is essential is it opens up the venue to many other events and activities and in order for it to be economic, and to be a viable business case, and in order to be able to leverage the private-sector investment, it will need to be used more than [the current] 25 times a year.’’

Barr said the stadium would also include onsite hotels and would create a greater vibrancy around Civic during major events.

Currently, crowds going to Canberra Stadium simply ‘‘drive-in and drive-out’’. But a new stadium in the city would allow people to frequent the bars and restaurants in Civic and provide a boost to the local economy.

It would also be set up as an ongoing concern and not just used on game day. Hotels, cafes and car parks would operate throughout the year and not leave it as an urban wasteland.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said this weekend's weather highlighted the need for a covered stadium, which would be a boost to both them and the Raiders.

‘‘With the two primary teams in the town, the Brumbies and the Raiders, playing through winter ... I think a rectangular stadium with a roof on it is the only way to go,’’ he said.

‘‘We know from supporter feedback a city-based enclosed stadium would significantly increase our attendances.’’

Copyright © 2013 Fairfax Media

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-u ... z2ZqUE7XYs

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Simmo79 wrote:the cold creates home ground advantage for the Raiders (Brumbies' season is over before winter officially starts).
^ idiot. The second sentence isn't true. The Brumbies played a game on Sunday while I drove up the nearest mountain to play in the snow

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I hope they look thoroughly at the issue of fixed or opening roof. I think I read somewhere that at Forsyth Barr they were thinking of replacing the grass with a synthetic pitch because the grass is not growing properly. Can anyone confirm this?

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

Wow this is more of a grand plan than the Melbourne Metro Rail Tunnel. But I would say if it gets built the stadium will be named after a PM of our country. Also any more upgrades for Manuka on the cards?

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

gyfox wrote:I hope they look thoroughly at the issue of fixed or opening roof. I think I read somewhere that at Forsyth Barr they were thinking of replacing the grass with a synthetic pitch because the grass is not growing properly. Can anyone confirm this?
Here is an article from 12 months ago that the Council were/are looking at it.
http://www.pitchcare.com.au/magazine/fo ... pitch.html

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Saracens have an artificial pitch, and Cardiff Blues are installing the same at Arms Park, so not a problem as far as rugby is concerned.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22887711

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The Crows averaged 40,000 since 1990 and never had a roof. But apparently you only need 15k odd to make it work. Rugby getting looked after.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

yob wrote:The Crows averaged 40,000 since 1990 and never had a roof. But apparently you only need 15k odd to make it work. Rugby getting looked after.
Mean minimum temperature in Canberra in mid winter is 7.5 C lower than Adelaide.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

gyfox wrote:
yob wrote:The Crows averaged 40,000 since 1990 and never had a roof. But apparently you only need 15k odd to make it work. Rugby getting looked after.
Mean minimum temperature in Canberra in mid winter is 7.5 C lower than Adelaide.
Yeah I know. I've lived in both. -6 last night. Had to use a credit card to scrape the ice off my windshield this morning. Real good time to be having your windows replaced on your house. :ballchain:

Canberra Winters are funny things. The day time is usually quite sunny. The temperature will be cold, but you'll feel warm on the skin. It's only August that you consider cold during the day, because that's when the wind comes through the Brindabellas and the wind chill blows straight through your bones. Overall though with Canberra if you're in a jacket you're right.

Adelaide Winters are just full on wet and wild. You can't dress for them. Wear gumboots and you'll still get satched.

Having dnoe 25 years in Adelaide and 5 in Canberra, I'll take Canberra winter any old day of the week.

Nobody in Canberra pays attention to the temperature on the weather report. It's the apparent temperature you watch. In Adelaide nobody's heard of it.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

yob wrote: Nobody in Canberra pays attention to the temperature on the weather report. It's the apparent temperature you watch. In Adelaide nobody's heard of it.
We went to a Socceroos WC Qualifier against Bahrain when in Sydney some years ago. The temperature was 10C but breeze was gusting 30-50 knot. The apparent temperature was very low and we froze. We went to the game against Japan at the MCG the following week. The temperature again was 10C but there was no wind. It was decidedly balmy.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Manuka Oval Lights / AFL / Cricket time lapse...enjoy

http://vimeo.com/71383972

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

the crow wrote:Manuka Oval Lights / AFL / Cricket time lapse...enjoy

http://vimeo.com/71383972
I always enjoy time lapse sequences. Light towers look a bit like giant fly swatters.