Epping Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
add0001
Bronze

Epping Stadium

Post by add0001 »

Many of you may not know what or where this stadium is either tid I until a couple of weeks ago where I went her to watch a Melbourne Heart inter-club freindly match and I think that it was a very good stadium for a local stadium I think that you should go check it out and review it if you have the time and let me point out that it is a world class pitch.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Re: Epping Stadium

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

It is a nice stadium.

The last I was there was during the dying days of Carlton (NSL). A few games had to be delayed due to patrons being stuck in traffic gridlock out side the venue... and the non-pegged goal fiasco. Had to park in paddocks which are now a housing estate.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

RobertHeatleyStand wrote:... and the non-pegged goal fiasco.
That was possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed at a "professional" sporting event.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

What happened?

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Basically, the goals were of the portable type, with a frame around the base, rather than the posts socketed or buried in the turf.

When the teams were warming up, it was noticed that they weren't anchored to the ground. Cue very long delay as someone tried to find some pegs. It was a Sunday early evening if I remember correctly, so where they ended up getting them from, I dunno.

Whilst we were sitting in the sun waiting (and waiting), Tony Ising (former Victory Communications Manager [is he with Heart now?]) grabs some kids from the crowd for a bit of a penalty kick thing, as the unpegged goal. One young bloke livened things up a bit by jumping on the pitch, running the full length of it, turning around and getting 3/4 of the way back before security even noticed. He made it back onto the hill, only for one of the security team basically to basically king hit him. Cue tense moments and much colourful abuse of said security bloke until the manager came out. The nob got taken away and sacked on the spot.
Beer was being sold the whole time but I was driving :x

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

^^
The NSL: Sometimes I kinda miss it.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

We had a crossbar dislodge mid game at Henson Park. In fact, it's happened twice in the past decade. The first time was as an Under 13s Development Squad player from North Sydney was running underneath it. Hit it square on the head. If only it had been filmed.

Epping's a good venue. Probably only useful for pre-season games at A League level, although if Campbelltown counts as "regional" Heart or Victory could use it for the regional round.

add0001
Bronze

Post by add0001 »

Epping Stadium <3

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Simmo79 wrote:^^
The NSL: Sometimes I kinda miss it.
Reminds me of the time the Shed had to sing "lights on in 5 mins" after the game had been stopped for 20 mins because the power went out :lol: