New SFS roof

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
juzzy_83
Bronze

New SFS roof

Post by juzzy_83 »

First post so hi everyone :)

Just came across this today on the net. Seems to be alot for a roof.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6123545599

the crow
Gold

Re: New SFS roof

Post by the crow »

Interesting.... I believe the same ANZ stadium document that limits the scg/sfs to 48k also notes that the SFS roof can't be extended by more than 5%..... I'm a little curious regarding the structure of this roof...there seems to be none.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

That render also seems to have increased the capacity, with the second level extending right around the ground.

If you were going to spend a significant amount of money on the SFS, surely you'd do something about putting the corporate suites along the sides, rather than at the ends like they are now. The capacity is just about right anyway - SFS hasn't had a crowd that's gone anywhere near it's current capacity for years.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The roof has burdened many Sydney footy fans but I cannot see the government putting up the cash now. There's ANZ Stadium up the road and they don't want to be seen spending money like this. The extension of the overhang of the upper tiers a few years ago added some sheltered seats.

I also can;t see this as a priority for the Trust. I don't know that it will convince Souths to move. All the talk has been about a new Northern Stand at the SCG.
the crow wrote:Interesting.... I believe the same ANZ stadium document that limits the scg/sfs to 48k also notes that the SFS roof can't be extended by more than 5%..... I'm a little curious regarding the structure of this roof...there seems to be none.
This is the part, like in a cooking show where you say, "here's something I prepared earlier."

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Yes they have extended the upper decks in that pic but what can they see from there...and where have the corporate boxes gone?

Yes fix / extend the roof....just dont stuff the ground in the process.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

One flaw in the article is the suggestion that improved facilities would bring the crowds back. I'm not sure that return would be so.

A lot of the tenants of the SFS have had a rubbish time of it over the past few years. The Roosters and Waratahs are chief among them. Further, it's not even true that crowds are down. Regular season matches at the SFS have increased year on year since 2007.

Given that only one stadium in Sydney is better than the SFS, it is fair to say that ANZ Stadium is the only place from which the SFS could steal events and that is unlikely because ANZ has greater capacity and fewer tenants that would want to move east. Only the Rabbitohs are likely to be swayed but they have a damn sweet deal at ANZ Stadium.

Though a lack of cover in prime viewing areas is a big setback for the SFS, remedying this problem is unlikely to help them as much as the article suggests, which is probably why they are lobbying for government funds rather than selling more ground memberships or naming rights to pay for the proposed redevelopment.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Centennial and Moore Park Trust is under the dept of Premier and Cabinet..... Budget due on 6th September....SCGT after as much as possible...... Just filling the gap at the back of the stand would solve alot of problems.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Jeffles wrote: it's not even true that crowds are down. Regular season matches at the SFS have increased year on year since 2007.
While your second statement might be true, your first is demonstrably false:
Sydney FC average crowds for the last four years - 16,382 12,380 12,987 7,656
Waratahs average crowds last two years - 24,204 20,493
Roosters average crowds last two years - 15,772 14,934

So the average crowds for the three major tenants are ALL down. I don't think whacking a new roof up is going to affect these figures. In fact going on these figures they should pull the SFS down completely and rebuild it as a 30,000 seater. In fact, why not do what Dunedin has done and put a totally enclosed stadium up - that way nobody can ever use inclement weather as a reason not to go to the footy. :)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The Roosters decline is only this year, when they've gone from runners-up to also rans. My source included all regular season NRL from 2007 to 2011.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/s.f.s._vn.html

I couldn't find a source for Waratahs crowds. I knew SYdney FC crowds were down. But really, where's the evidence that rain has caused the decline?

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Jeffles wrote:The Roosters decline is only this year, when they've gone from runners-up to also rans. My source included all regular season NRL from 2007 to 2011.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/s.f.s._vn.html

I couldn't find a source for Waratahs crowds. I knew SYdney FC crowds were down. But really, where's the evidence that rain has caused the decline?
I'd actually say Swans crowds have been hit hardest by rain this season. Some of their SCG games have been marked by torrential downpours. Probably cost them a few thousand I'd say. And there's plenty of undercover seating at the SCG these days... :wink:

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

An excellent decision by the ARU...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6125915083
...and this without confirmation of a new roof!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^^ Funny, that!

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

So, after the announcement of the new northern stand at the SCG, I'm drawn back to this.

It's not like it's ancient history, August 2011 is pretty recent...

Do we think it'll happen?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It's Phil Rothfield who wrote the article so probably not.

But someone on this forums knows more than all of us. Where's the Oracle of Wagga Wagga?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

There is a will.....but i imagine not the means after announcing the members stand Reno. But there is some long term thinking going on at the trust so I have hope for the future of this venue.