Photos of SANFL grounds

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
U REDS
Silver

Photos of SANFL grounds

Post by U REDS »

Thought I might as well take some pics of the SANFL grounds... they're all taken from a mobile phone camera so hopefully they turn out OK.

First up is Gliderol Stadium at Glenelg

Probably should have taken a few more from different angles... ah well.

U REDS
Silver

Re: Photos of SANFL grounds

Post by U REDS »

Hickinbotham Oval @ Noarlunga

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Coopers Stadium @ Norwood

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

City Mazda Stadium @ Richmond

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Commander Centre Oval @ Unley

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I used to walk to Unley Oval when I lived in Adelaide, lol. $2 tickets were awesome.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks for the photos.

My mate says Sturt still sell lace up jerseys to fans and that some wear them as vests in the outer. That's classy!

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Egan wrote:I used to walk to Unley Oval when I lived in Adelaide, lol. $2 tickets were awesome.
Thanks to the Unley City Council, one of the conditions under which it allowed Sturt to return to Unley oval from its self imposed exile at Adelaide Oval was that it continue to be usable as a public park...Sturts home ground is now known throughout SA footy circles as dog Poo Park;) the magoos rather than "kicking the dew off the grass" as is the usual parlance have to pick up the poo off the grass prior to play:)

My favourite ground is of course Norwood Oval, known as "The Parade" after the street on which it is located. I starting being taken there by my old man at about 8 years old and it was there I learned the difference between Stadium language and Home language;) - shh, don't tell your mum you know that word! Only use it when talking about the umpires or Port fans!;) I much prefer a good Friday night game at the parade over the souless crap on offer at Footy park from the AFL's Crows, despite the lower standard of local footy.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ May be a lower standard, but has more character, atmosphere and I find the football more entertaining.

May go to three WAFL games this week.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

Nice photos.
Out of curiosity, what were the attendance figures at those games.Healthy looking crowds.
I might be mistaken but SA grounds look smaller than ours in WA.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Soaks wrote:Nice photos.
Out of curiosity, what were the attendance figures at those games.Healthy looking crowds.
Some SANFL grounds are jammed in by roads, schools or cricket/tennis clubs etc. Glenelg and the Parade in particular. It's actually really good for atmosphere to concentrate the audience in to areas like the Coopers hill at Norwood or snout's bar at Glenelg. Unley is also pretty small as one half is basically closed for public use. Alberton too with the PAAAAAAAAAAAAA hq taking up some space.

That said there's some truly massive grounds in the league as well - Elizabeth being the biggest. They stopped night games there because the lights couldn't light up the area enough.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Soaks wrote:Nice photos.
Noarlunga crowd from 21/5 -- 1906
Richmond crowd from 8/4 -- 4193
Norwood crowd from 20/5 -- 7258
Glenelg crowd from 1/5 -- 3961
Unley crowd from 7/5 -- 3410

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Soaks having been to all the SANFL venues, they are a lot smaller in capacity then in Perth. However everyone stands on terraces, rather than sits on the grass banks.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:Soaks having been to all the SANFL venues, they are a lot smaller in capacity then in Perth. However everyone stands on terraces, rather than sits on the grass banks.
Except for Elizabeth, where they all sit on grass banks then complain when you stand in front of them.

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

yob wrote:That said there's some truly massive grounds in the league as well - Elizabeth being the biggest. They stopped night games there because the lights couldn't light up the area enough.
Sounds like Leederville.Bloody massive ground but inadequate lighting for night footy.I remember the state game against SA when the ball was kicked out on the full and the SA commentator was suprised that could even happen on a ground of that size.