Photos of SANFL grounds

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
HoldenV8
Silver

Re: Photos of SANFL grounds

Post by HoldenV8 »

Ok, here are the pics I took at today's SANFL Grand Final. A good crowd of 29,661 attended and saw Norwood unfortunately defeat West Adelaide 12.7 (79) to 3.12 (30).

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Last edited by HoldenV8 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

29,661 is good. Must make SANFL best attended 2nd tier competition in the country?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

nobleoz wrote:29,661 is good. Must make SANFL best attended 2nd tier competition in the country?
We would get close to that, if for one f***ing year we didn't have Claremont or Subiaco in the Grand final. Nevertheless, great crowd, looks like a cracking day.

will the sanfl grand final return to Adelaide Oval upon completion?

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I believe the official attendance at the ground on NSW Cup Grand Final day was 82,976...

;)

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Egan wrote:
nobleoz wrote:29,661 is good. Must make SANFL best attended 2nd tier competition in the country?
We would get close to that, if for one f***ing year we didn't have Claremont or Subiaco in the Grand final. Nevertheless, great crowd, looks like a cracking day.

will the sanfl grand final return to Adelaide Oval upon completion?
As a Norwood fan I can assure you it WAS a cracking day:)
The West End Brewery Chimney looks good as of today
It is my understanding that the SMA will attempt to get the SANFL finals back at the oval ASAP. can't see why not really.
Will probably look at luring one or two AUFC games per season also:(
I heard a solid rumour that as soon as the new facilities come on line and a suitable gap appears in the international and local calendar, the ARU have agreed to schedule a Walabies v Springboks Test match at the venue.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

Timbo wrote:I believe the official attendance at the ground on NSW Cup Grand Final day was 82,976...

;)
I guess by the :wink: you're expecting the "Curtain Raisers don't count" shot... :lol:

I don't suppose there was a count at the half-time mark of that match?

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Yeah that's what I meant. I think there would have been 10k or so during the Jets game.

However, I was at the NSW Cup semis the previous week at Leichardt oval - there would have been 10-12 there for that. Was a cracking crowd for a standalone NSW Cup fixture.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

SA footy beats NSW rugby league!

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

I saw highlights on Fox of the Sydney rugby union grand final - it looked like there were about 100 people there. And it was actually televised by the ABC.

I thought the ABC only televised women's sports* that no-one gives a sh*t about.

* incl. lawn bowls

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

The NSWRU pays the ABC broadcast costs to televise the match of the round and the finals of the Shute Shield.

The ABC doesn't really want to do it anymore, but it looks like club rugby in Sydney and Brisbane may be rationalized into one competition covered by Ten.

It's a shame actually - I used to go to a lot of Shute Shield games when I was a kid. Crowds of 5,000 were not uncommon at Coogee Oval (which is more or less capacity).

I remember a Grand Final at the SFS when I was a kid where it was nearly full, Randwick vs. Warringah.

Unfortunately, first Super Rugby then the way in which the NSWRU has managed it's club competition has all but signed its death warrant.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

An SANFL game back in the late 2000's drew a bigger crowd than an NRL match in NSW and an AFL match in the Gold Coast.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

U REDS wrote:An SANFL game back in the late 2000's drew a bigger crowd than an NRL match in NSW and an AFL match in the Gold Coast.
I think you're referring to the day in 2009 (I think, might have been 2010) that over 11,000 turned up to Glenelg Oval to see the Bays take on Sturt.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Port Adelaide drew more than that at Alberton Pre-AFL

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

nobleoz wrote:Port Adelaide drew more than that at Alberton Pre-AFL
Ah this is true. In fact, when I was growing up (the 1980's) was a boom time for SANFL crowds. It was rare to see a game involving Port, Norwood, Sturt or Glenelg that didn't have at least 10,000 fans attending. Crowds started dropping badly when the Crows came to be in 1991 (blame Port for that fiasco) and then they dropped again with the Power's entry into the AFL.

Back in the 80s a crowd of 10,000+ to most games was almost expected. Now its a very rare thing and is dreamed about for all bar the Grand Final.....

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I certainly remember 20,000 for Port vs Norwood
It was same in Perth for E Fremantle vs as Fremantle