Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
beastjim
Gold

Re: Bellerive upgrade

Post by beastjim »

Boba Fett wrote:
beastjim wrote:Wouldn't want to make it too small for when the Kangaroos have to move there.
Current capacity should be fine for when that happens.
I meant field size :wink: . Capacity is currently fine for the Kangas. Hell old Carrara was about the right size for them.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

beastjim wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
beastjim wrote:Wouldn't want to make it too small for when the Kangaroos have to move there.
Current capacity should be fine for when that happens.
I meant field size :wink: . Capacity is currently fine for the Kangas. Hell old Carrara was about the right size for them.
Infield is approx 170m x 130m.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

New upgrade. Extends the Southern Stand around the western side replacing some small stands and the Clarence FC clubrooms. Capacity increased to 20,000. Completed by Cricket World Cup of 2015.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... ories.html

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Is there an election due? Gillard is flashing the stadium cash around the country at the moment...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It's not a bad way of increasing your popularity, regardless of where we are in the electoral cycle.,

Given that NM already agreed to play in Bellerive, it is already Tas Cricket's venue of choice and they got an upgrade less than a decade ago, the feds could have justifiably deferred this.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Andrew wilkey may not get his pokie reform....but Tasmania can bet on sport played at home.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Actually, just read a bit more detail - as usual Gillard's cocked things up. The Federal Govt's announcement only covers half the cost. And the state govt has ruled out coming up with the rest.

Nothing to see here, move along, move along...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They might have smaller redevelopment, the state will come to the party or other sources may chip in. I reckon it will go ahead.

It's an interesting lesson in stadium lobbying. There's a quote there from a local MP.
"I was very concerned that Hobart might lose AFL football and access to international cricket, including the 2015 Cricket World Cup," Ms Collins said yesterday.

"This announcement means that Tasmania will not be left off the World Cup map.
Really? Would Hobart really be left off the map of a tournament whose fixtures may include Bangladesh v Ireland? Give me a break! Same could be said for NM. I mean, Hobart at its current capacity is beter than competing grounds at Darwin, Canberra, Cairns, etc.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

And does increasing the capacity to 20,000 really put in line for an Ashes Test? Unless a tour was increased to six Tests, good luck trying to take an Ashes Test off one of the existing cities...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Exactly! It's good fearmongering though. Nobody wants to be the government responsible for a place not having good stuff so often good money is thrown where it may not have to go. Did anybody say Sydney 500?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Agree with the sentiment. Hobart was always going to hold a Cricket World Cup game with or without the upgrade. They don't have the timezone advantage, nor being close to the sub-continent for the only venue they compete with on capacity - Perth.

Can see they may have been threatened by the new Gold Coast Stadium though...

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I think a substantial upgrade could see the WACA look shaky in Ashes years.

Especially since there's whispers we may go to 7 tests in Ashes years - a two test series agains Bangladesh or Zimbabwe as a lead in series could see the two early tests play at the WACA and perhaps Manuka (the ACT Government is bidding furiously to be included in the test rotation) and Bellerieve gets moved onto the Ashes list.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Timbo wrote:I think a substantial upgrade could see the WACA look shaky in Ashes years.

Especially since there's whispers we may go to 7 tests in Ashes years - a two test series agains Bangladesh or Zimbabwe as a lead in series could see the two early tests play at the WACA and perhaps Manuka (the ACT Government is bidding furiously to be included in the test rotation) and Bellerieve gets moved onto the Ashes list.
I doubt Cricket Australia will do that, particularly as the timezone factor (4:00am) start of play compared to (1:00am) start of play in Hobart. Meaning more TV rights dollars. Not the least more money coming out of a timezone closer to the sub-continent...

What you are finding that for the test series, Perth is getting the premier test team every year at the moment due to the timezone benefits Perth has, both to the east coast and to the Sub Continent.

Cricket has less and less to do with attendance and stadium capacities, Perth's got the run over Hobart.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Egan wrote:
Timbo wrote:I think a substantial upgrade could see the WACA look shaky in Ashes years.

I doubt Cricket Australia will do that, particularly as the timezone factor (4:00am) start of play compared to (1:00am) start of play in Hobart. Meaning more TV rights dollars. Not the least more money coming out of a timezone closer to the sub-continent...

What you are finding that for the test series, Perth is getting the premier test team every year at the moment due to the timezone benefits Perth has, both to the east coast and to the Sub Continent.

Cricket has less and less to do with attendance and stadium capacities, Perth's got the run over Hobart.

I don't think the timezone advantage really means that much - especially when 5 of the current 6 venues don't have said advantage.

Also Perth doesn't always get the primary test series. They got NZ the last time we hosted them for 3. Ditto the Windies. And they also got the Zimbabwe test the last time they toured, which included the rare double test summer for Sydney to accomodate them.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I think it says a lot about Perth and Cricket's relationship tht a Perthling is trying to lord it over Hobart and half-failing in the process.