Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timbo
Silver

Re: Bellerive upgrade

Post by Timbo »

Wow, that's quite an upgrade.

The WACA is the ground under threat here. With Adelaide going to 50,000 capacity you'll have Brisbane (40k), Sydney (45k), Adelaide (50k) and Melbourne (99.5k) locked in, and the two ~20k grounds slugging it out for the 5th test.

There will never be a 6 test series again. The ICC doesn't approve of series of more than 5 tests and besides, the Poms said no last time we asked anyway.

I was about to post an article regarding a Manuka upgrade. With the lacklustre effort of the Aussie's in the recent Ashes series - with particular emphasis on the poor lead up we had - I would not be suprised if the next time England tour it's a 7 test summer, with two test matches preceding the Ashes series against New Zealand or Sri Lanka as a warm up. The next home Ashes series is in 2013/14, which coincides with the centeneray of the founding of Canberra. The ACT government is lobbying hard for a test match to be held at an upgraded Manuka that year as part of the celebrations.

Could easily see the summer 2013/14 lineup being

New Zealand in Australia (2 Tests, Canberra and Perth)
England in Australia (5 Tests, Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney).

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Puts the capacity within spitting distance of York Park. I think it looks good. The Tassies are likely to throw money at this because there are so few international events they have the boast about.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Hobart is doing quite well after the opening of MONA it is bring a lot of tourist dollers in.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

and maybe by 2014 SCG could be at about 48k..ahem

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I'd say WACA would be under threat. But it would be a brave official that would strip an Ashes test away from Perth, particularly at a venue the Poms often struggle at.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

the crow wrote:and maybe by 2014 SCG could be at about 48k..ahem
Stop that you cheeky bastard. You know something!

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

The AFL will struggle to get more seats at the members area and what do u know crowzy
Last edited by Orel Puppington on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'm more impressed with that bright red london style double decker bus in the foreground.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Orel Puppington wrote:The AFL will struggle to get more seats at the members area and what do u know crowzy

Plenty....check out the overtime on my timesheet !!!!! :(

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^^ Tease.

Egan, you could be right. The ECB wasn't afraid of ditching Old Trafford and Trent Bridge for Sophia Gardens. The only thing the WACA would have in its favour here is the Board structure of CA favouring them over Tassie. If the Tassie government are inclined to throw some cash, they could get there.

redsfan
Bronze

Post by redsfan »

Would be nice if part of the redevelopment was to shorten the ground somewhat, would make it a better venue for hosting soccer or rugby games as well when neccesary.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Wouldn't want to make it too small for when the Kangaroos have to move there.

Random question, does Tasmania have Kangaroos in the wild? Could be a rather ironic name if they don't.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

beastjim wrote:Wouldn't want to make it too small for when the Kangaroos have to move there.
Current capacity should be fine for when that happens.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

beastjim wrote: Random question, does Tasmania have Kangaroos in the wild? Could be a rather ironic name if they don't.
they have wallabies at least - I know from getting up close to one with a hire car a few years back - the car was not damaged