Sydney Entertainment Centre to be demolished

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
the crow
Gold

Re: Sydney Entertainment Centre to be demolished

Post by the crow »

the kings have the state sports centre at homebush as an option....

saintgong
Bronze

Post by saintgong »

State sports centre is ideal for the kings. I always liked going there. Much closer to the game. The more intimate the better for the Hawks fans to dominate

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

And of course the Kings did play at the SSC when they first enetered the NBL in 1988. I think the 4400 capacity is too small for them.

I think the Kings like being in the city. They sell it as a night out in town. Go to Chinatown or Darling Harbour. In that sense they are the only sporting team that can claim that, unless you count Moore Park, which I don't.

I remember fondly when the Kings were at Acer. Crowds were good even though there was f**k all at Olympic Park. It may be a more attractive venue for them once the SOP Masterplan kicks in and you get more stuff there.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

It's encouraging that despite the Kings' terrible season their crowds have been not too bad - averaging around 5,000 I think. Certainly one of the better averages in the NBL this season.

And Jeffles, you're right - they firmly believe their place is in the city after previous experiences out at Homebush (both at the SSC and Acer). I thought the Acer experiment was a bit of a failure in terms of crowds though? I seem to remember that apart from one or two good crowds for finals, regular season games weren't well supported out there...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Acer crowds weren't all that different to SEC crowds now. 5500 as ther benchmark with the odd crowd of 7000 plus. People at the time said they were crap because they compared the Kings to the early 1990s SEC crowds but when viewed over the history of the club, the Acer crowds stand up well.

Mix Master Wipe
Bronze

Post by Mix Master Wipe »

Not sure of when the SEC will be knocked down ,but i wonder if the Kings may have to play out of SSC or Acer while the new ent convention centre is getting built?

Different topic but does anyone know if they have started any work on the demolition of the Perth ent cent yet?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

No Perth Entertainment Centre is owned by Channel 7.

I think they are waiting for the railway to sink and the government to do all the investment so that the site is eventually worth a truckload. Has just been sitting there for many years.

If Wildcats get to the final due to Cirque Du Solei at Challenge Stadium, they will play at the Dome.

aus16
Bronze

Post by aus16 »

does anyone have any pics of the kings playing at acer arena, also, i was recently at acer arena and it appears that they have removed the large video screens they had, any reason why?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

asset stripping?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It would be a surprise if they moved permanently given that they can be used for wrestling, motorcross, UFC and netball.

The Kings would probably go to the smaller SSC on a temporary basis, even though their current average crowd exceeds the 4400 capacity of the venue.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Smaller venue, create demand, better atmosphere (?), then inflate the prices and actually make more money. Or at least use the demand to have a future at the bigger venue.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The Perth Wildcats model. It could work.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Perth Wildcats had no choice though...

Back to the city and the 13,000 seat stadium for basketball. Hopefully ticket prices go down in the city.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Egan wrote:Hopefully ticket prices go down in the city.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No I daresay you're getting the Stadiums Queensland model, prices to pay for a high quality venue.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

beastjim wrote:
Egan wrote:Hopefully ticket prices go down in the city.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No I daresay you're getting the Stadiums Queensland model, prices to pay for a high quality venue.
At least give a f***ing concession ticket or offer a few seats for $20-25 at the upper level.