Hindmarsh Stadium, Pre-2000 Sydney Olympics configuration

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Re: Hindmarsh Stadium, Pre-2000 Sydney Olympics configurati

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

deejaybee wrote:
Soccer City does look great.
I'm a fan of there being no concourse underneath the bottom tier, like in Joburg and Etihad, compared to Wembley and the MCG.
this is because the concourse is at ground level for SCJHB and thus the pitch is dug-down. It hides the magnitude of the stadium until you are inside it, in fact driving down the highway with the decorations on the outside, it wasn't until I was almost at the ground that I could stop following the WC2010 stadium thisway signs and just observe the beauty of this stadium... besides the hospitality of the StrhAfricans & getting to see tonnes of football, SC was an absolute delight and a highlight of my trip to the World Cup...Moses Mabhida in Durban if I separate my feelings for the stadium from the disgraceful performance of the Socceroos was another highlight!

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Is the long length (and width) of Wembley because of the additional setback needed to give the top tier a complete view of the full pitch? I think that tall multi-tiered grandstands may require that setback (Gyfox?) If you've been in the top deck of either stand at the the MCG your view of the close boundary line directly in front of you is blocked, which can be a pain if you're right above the goal and can't see the goal line. Thoughts?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

AFL should reduce the size of their ground as part of their rule reviews...buy straightening the ends and the sides maybe ;)

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Simmo79 wrote:Is the long length (and width) of Wembley because of the additional setback needed to give the top tier a complete view of the full pitch? I think that tall multi-tiered grandstands may require that setback (Gyfox?) If you've been in the top deck of either stand at the the MCG your view of the close boundary line directly in front of you is blocked, which can be a pain if you're right above the goal and can't see the goal line. Thoughts?

From work I did before Wembley is about 84m wide and 85m is the FIFA recommended minimum. SFS is 82m. Not sure of the length but it is not very much more than the minimum that FIFA require.

PS. I was scaling off cross sections which always a no no in building ;)

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Bump. (in the absence of a dedicated Hindmarsh Stadium thread.)
Interesting News today in the world of Hindmarsh Stadium.
Adelaide Entertainment Centre operators take over Hindmarsh Stadium management
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6555262664
First thing is first, I reckon they'll have the AEC car park open on game days. It's only a short walk from the Enter Centre to the stadium..easy money. Might even see the upgrade of the Western Stand to increase corporate facilities(AU has been asking DRS for a while now) brought forward?

Brucetiki
Bronze

Post by Brucetiki »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Bump. (in the absence of a dedicated Hindmarsh Stadium thread.)
First thing is first, I reckon they'll have the AEC car park open on game days. It's only a short walk from the Enter Centre to the stadium..easy money. Might even see the upgrade of the Western Stand to increase corporate facilities(AU has been asking DRS for a while now) brought forward?
I thought they already used the AEC carpark for Hindmarsh Stadium matches anyway (bar when there's an event at the AEC at the same time).

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Brucetiki wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:Bump. (in the absence of a dedicated Hindmarsh Stadium thread.)
I thought they already used the AEC carpark for Hindmarsh Stadium matches anyway (bar when there's an event at the AEC at the same time).
I can't tell you, I usually arrive ages before kickoff and Park in the street for nothing.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Can't find a better topic so this one will have to do.

Is it election time in South Australia? ;)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6828298953

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

gyfox wrote:Can't find a better topic so this one will have to do.

AEC wants to spend $75m on Hindmarsh Stadium? Has nothing to do with the State Govt. you're as bad as half the comenters on the advertiser site who've written the usual "shouldn't we spend this on hospitals and schools?" garbage without understanding that there is no call on State govt funds made in the article.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
gyfox wrote:Can't find a better topic so this one will have to do.

AEC wants to spend $75m on Hindmarsh Stadium? Has nothing to do with the State Govt. you're as bad as half the comenters on the advertiser site who've written the usual "shouldn't we spend this on hospitals and schools?" garbage without understanding that there is no call on State govt funds made in the article.
While a government investment would be needed for the roof, AEC sees the stadium as a future profit maker.
The roof is only 60% of the project discussed but "there is no call on State govt funds made in the article". :roll: :roll: :roll:

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I would doubt there is capacity in the existing structure for the roof....and what is it going to be like inside on 45 deg days...you would kill people....good training for Qatar :)

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

Better Idea is to build an all new rectangular stadium closer to the city and public transport. A site near Mile End train station would be a good idea

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Extending the ground by 7m, you have to be kidding me. Compromise the viewing of the only tenant so the fat people can not play there.

What is their idea for a "link" with Adelaide Oval? Some sort of air strip or helipad?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Catapult.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

one-way tunnel? out of the city in the AM, back again in the PM;)