Hindmarsh Stadium, Pre-2000 Sydney Olympics configuration

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Hindmarsh Stadium, Pre-2000 Sydney Olympics configuration

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

G'day all,
long-time reader, 1st time poster:)
I've been trying all over the net to find pics of Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide, SA prior to the Sydney Olympics cash splash that turned it into the fine little(little being the optimum word!) stadium it is for football and my beloved Adelaide United
Does anyone here happen to have some pics of the old terraced Hindmarsh stadium please??

yob
Platinum

Re: Hindmarsh Stadium, Pre-2000 Sydney Olympics configuration

Post by yob »

AFAIK the only pic that's been posted was by HoldenV8, and only of the old grandstand.

Bloody hell I miss the old girl. Especially the slap up mortar/slate wall job in Manton street and terraced ends, and the old Manton Street gate (would probably struggle with 15,000 these days).

Also another one I'd love to see pics of is when they erected the temp stands for the grand final against Melbourne Knights.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

No pics but there are plans pre 1995 and the various options for development considered in the Auditor Generals Report that found that the actual cost was $41m no the $26m planned.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... s%3Disch:1

mattwinter
Bronze

Post by mattwinter »

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Hindmarsh 1981

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

mattwinter wrote:Here's some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLUjqCQ ... re=related
Cool.

As good as the A-League has been, we're poorer for no longer having the City/Sharks derbies. The memories of the pitch being consumed with flares, sprinklers on, players sprinting for the rooms and the PA telling everyone to have a warm cup of sit the f**k down..... loved it!

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

mattwinter wrote:Here's some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLUjqCQ ... re=related
that's a beautiful perm on 1992 John Aloisi :P

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cheers for the photos...

Old Grandstand is very similar to old VFL grandstands in Melbourne.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Egan wrote:Cheers for the photos...

Old Grandstand is very similar to old VFL grandstands in Melbourne.
Which ones?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Whitten Oval/Victoria Park from memory had a few stands like that before they were destroyed.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Only 1 vic park's stands has gone, the oldest one that needed to be ripped out fifteen years ago near the scoreboard. They have also taken to roof the one long stand on the wing towards the city...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

It actually looks heaps like the grandstand at Elizabeth Oval.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

One thing I'm really hoping for once the Young consortium takes over AdUnited is that if a few home games are moved to AdelaideOval and the crowds respond as they did in Melbourne when Victory moved its home games to Docklands, that a case can be made for expanding Hindmarsh up towards 20,000. The only areas I can see where that could happen though are a taller (and steeper) Eastern stand that tracks back further towards Manton Street and filling some of the corners inwith a second tier (however I believe there is a heritage building in the SE corner that is protected that hems the stadium in even more than is triangular plot of land. I imagine plenty of stadium nerds have thought through the dreams for a bigger Hindmarsh...anyone care to share pics? I love stadium pr0n, even if it is only dream pr0n!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:One thing I'm really hoping for once the Young consortium takes over AdUnited is that if a few home games are moved to AdelaideOval and the crowds respond as they did in Melbourne when Victory moved its home games to Docklands, that a case can be made for expanding Hindmarsh up towards 20,000. The only areas I can see where that could happen though are a taller (and steeper) Eastern stand that tracks back further towards Manton Street and filling some of the corners inwith a second tier (however I believe there is a heritage building in the SE corner that is protected that hems the stadium in even more than is triangular plot of land. I imagine plenty of stadium nerds have thought through the dreams for a bigger Hindmarsh...anyone care to share pics? I love stadium pr0n, even if it is only dream pr0n!
Heritage buildings are problems that can be engineered around. Pick it up and move it. It's been done before, even in Adelaide. For example, a building on Vic Sq was moved to accomodate the SGIC building.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

yob wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:One thing I'm really hoping for once the Young consortium takes over AdUnited is that if a few home games are moved to AdelaideOval and the crowds respond as they did in Melbourne when Victory moved its home games to Docklands, that a case can be made for expanding Hindmarsh up towards 20,000. The only areas I can see where that could happen though are a taller (and steeper) Eastern stand that tracks back further towards Manton Street and filling some of the corners inwith a second tier (however I believe there is a heritage building in the SE corner that is protected that hems the stadium in even more than is triangular plot of land. I imagine plenty of stadium nerds have thought through the dreams for a bigger Hindmarsh...anyone care to share pics? I love stadium pr0n, even if it is only dream pr0n!
Heritage buildings are problems that can be engineered around. Pick it up and move it. It's been done before, even in Adelaide. For example, a building on Vic Sq was moved to accomodate the SGIC building.
I agree, but the only sporting club that could get away with something like that in this NIMBified city are the Crows, Seeing as there is still a healthy mentality Football is for Shiela's Wogs and p**ftas in Adelaide(just my opinion-there are plenty of folk writing into AdelaideNow that seemingly can't wait for the Socceroos to fail in ZA - how un-Australian is that to barrack against your own country?) , I dream of a day when Adelaide United FC can garner the support required to build hindmarsh into a 20k seat fortress like the Pohang Steelyard is in Korea.