Hindmarsh Stadium, Pre-2000 Sydney Olympics configuration

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Re: Hindmarsh Stadium, Pre-2000 Sydney Olympics configuration

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
yob wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:One thing I'm really hoping for once the Young consortium takes over AdUnited is that if a few home games are moved to AdelaideOval and the crowds respond as they did in Melbourne when Victory moved its home games to Docklands, that a case can be made for expanding Hindmarsh up towards 20,000. The only areas I can see where that could happen though are a taller (and steeper) Eastern stand that tracks back further towards Manton Street and filling some of the corners inwith a second tier (however I believe there is a heritage building in the SE corner that is protected that hems the stadium in even more than is triangular plot of land. I imagine plenty of stadium nerds have thought through the dreams for a bigger Hindmarsh...anyone care to share pics? I love stadium pr0n, even if it is only dream pr0n!
Heritage buildings are problems that can be engineered around. Pick it up and move it. It's been done before, even in Adelaide. For example, a building on Vic Sq was moved to accomodate the SGIC building.
I agree, but the only sporting club that could get away with something like that in this NIMBified city are the Crows, Seeing as there is still a healthy mentality Football is for Shiela's Wogs and p**ftas in Adelaide(just my opinion-there are plenty of folk writing into AdelaideNow that seemingly can't wait for the Socceroos to fail in ZA - how un-Australian is that to barrack against your own country?) , I dream of a day when Adelaide United FC can garner the support required to build hindmarsh into a 20k seat fortress like the Pohang Steelyard is in Korea.
This seems kinda odd to me. Football in Adelaide has never had the Us v Them mentality. Sure the Advertiser had a crack at it, but in the real world it just doesn't exist. For me in the schoolyard it was always a case that the aussie rules kids helped us out in the 'wogs on dogs' soccer matches, and the wogs all followed AC Milan and Norwood.

Think about it. If theere was prejudice toward football at a government level, your problems would've started at getting the first 15,000 seats, not the last 5,000.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Sorry to say people but the first two photo's aren't actually of Hindmarsh Stadium. The lights are wrong. Hindmarsh has only ever had the 4 light towers in the corners of the stadium. That and there never has been a scoreboard on the outer side (eastern) of the ground. Its always been at the northern end, as the new electronic one is now.

Hindmarsh stadium in 1998 set up for an Adelaide Rams game The outer seats were only installed in about 1995 or so, before that it was terracing like each end. Note there are no light towers except in the corners.

Old grandstand, sometime in the late 1980's

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

HoldenV8 wrote:Sorry to say people but the first two photo's aren't actually of Hindmarsh Stadium.
Yes it is..Its Hindmarsh
Look at the building behind

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

You have come up a winner again mate!

So Hindmarsh and Perth Oval were both Aussie Rules grounds before they were rectangular stadiums.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Egan, before 1921 when they moved to Thebarton Oval, Hindmarsh Oval was the home of the West Torrens Football Club.

And I hate doing this, REALLY hate it but I have to admit to being wrong about something. I've checked some old video's and it appears that Hindmarsh did indeed have a scoreboard on the outer side of the ground. Can't find evidence of the light towers though so I'm still not convinced that the photo's are Hindmarsh Stadium.

West Adelaide Hellas vs Adelaide City in 1978 @ Hindmarsh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWu4G3MUgI

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

HoldenV8 wrote:....... Can't find evidence of the light towers though so I'm still not convinced that the photo's are Hindmarsh Stadium.
Have a look again at the photos again.
Look CLOSELY at the 2 buildings I have circled.

Now go to Google Maps and use Street View at
41 Manton St,Hindmarsh SA,5007
This is right next door at Hindmarsh Stadium in the NE Corner.
Pan the Street View camera around and you will see this

Not convinced yet?
Check out this recent pic and look again at the same buildings and then go have a look back at the 1981 pics

The grounds are the same
The buildings are the same
The scoreboard in the middle is the same(Check out your 1978 Youtube vid)
The pics I posted are from the State Library of South Australia and they say its Hindmarsh from 1981.
The only thing we cant prove at the moment ar the different light towers.My guess is that maybe these pics are from the first game under lights in 1981,hence the good crowds,pics were taken etc.Who knows when these towers were changed.

Apart from that.
Its Hindmarsh! :)

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Nice work Dan! If I remember correctly the 4 corner light towers went up at some point in the late 80s / early 90s

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

confirmed!

89 video shows old lights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgkYMzzci1c
91/92 video shows new'uns - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLUjqCQH-E

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

LOL Stadium nerds...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I love this sh*t.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

sh*t gets real when we break out the geospatial tools

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Thread delivers.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

LOL

Now who doesnt like being right!

mattwinter
Bronze

Post by mattwinter »

Dan wrote:Hindmarsh 1981

Anyone know what game this is? A game in the World Youth Championships I'm guessing.