Future SFS

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
franky
Bronze

Future SFS

Post by franky »

What improvements would you guys make to the SFS if we got the World Cup? Even though it recently had an upgrade I would say it is still fairly outdated for a World Cup venue. One thing I would recommend is that they refurbish the roof and make it come out a little bit further. Probably replace all the seats with the ones that flip up also.

Am I thinking too small? Are there structural changes that could be done to make it a better venue?

kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

sh*t stadium knock it down and re build it again

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I've often pondered this. Demolish the ends and bring them in to RL dimensions, not RU's, and so they have as many rows of seats as the sides of the inner bowl. If there's room to extend the upper decks around the ends as well that would be sweet.

And a new roof that covers the crowd, rather than just looks pretty.

danny
Bronze

Post by danny »

i think that if we won the bid, this would be a great stadium to knock down and start afresh.

if that was out of the question, i reckon at the very least those seats on the top deck opposite the cameras could be cleaned up. the white boxes. don't know if they're corporate or what have you, but they look crappy to me.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

danny wrote:i think that if we won the bid, this would be a great stadium to knock down and start afresh.

if that was out of the question, i reckon at the very least those seats on the top deck opposite the cameras could be cleaned up. the white boxes. don't know if they're corporate or what have you, but they look crappy to me.
I am all for improving the stadium but can't for the life of me see why they would consider knocking down and starting afresh on one of the better stadiums we have.

danny
Bronze

Post by danny »

i think it's one of the best of its type purely through lack of real alternatives. it's hardly world-class, and i think sydney deserves a world-class rectangular stadium in the 50k range.

definitely not a necessary move but wouldn't go astray.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

danny wrote:i think it's one of the best of its type purely through lack of real alternatives. it's hardly world-class, and i think sydney deserves a world-class rectangular stadium in the 50k range.

definitely not a necessary move but wouldn't go astray.
I would think it will need a reasonable amount of expenditure to bring it up to date but there are higher priorities for expenditure in my view over replacing it.

danny
Bronze

Post by danny »

definitely.

aus16
Bronze

Post by aus16 »

umm if you werent listening the SFS was actually voted the best in the NRL

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

I can't see Syd getting a drastically redeveloped SFS and Homebush. Either/Or in my opinion

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

Any redevelopment will also end up with large parts of the stadium set aside for SCG members who never bother to show up.

aus16
Bronze

Post by aus16 »

no thats the upper deck on the on the dressing room side and it would also be the reason i had to buy scalped 100 buck seats to the 2004 preliminary final vs the Bull "sh*t" dogs

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

I can only assume that the people who bag the SFS have never actually watched a game there.

I don't think it needs expansion at all as it holds 45 000 which meets FIFA requirements. Big internationals, NRL grand finals will always go to Homebush anyway so it would be rather pointless.

As it stands it is the ideal size for what it’s used for. Regular NRL, A-League and Super 12 games.

kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

can only assume that the people who bag the SFS have never actually watched a game there.

I don't think it needs expansion at all as it holds 45 000 which meets FIFA requirements. Big internationals, NRL grand finals will always go to Homebush anyway so it would be rather pointless.

As it stands it is the ideal size for what it’s used for. Regular NRL, A-League and Super 12 games.
good point, but before the sfs stadium were was the main rugby league matches played

smitty
Bronze

Post by smitty »

haven't really heard/seen much about the stadium, does anyone have any photos of the ground from the stands?

I think it could work as a second WC venue, if the Swans could play out of Blacktown Stadium for a few weeks then there'd be no proximity issues (the question is, would they want to?)

On that note, does anyone know if FIFA have made it mandatory that only one city can have two venues? or is this just a media write-up?