Future SFS

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

On that note, does anyone know if FIFA have made it mandatory that only one city can have two venues? or is this just a media write-up?
It's probably just the Melbourne media

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

smitty wrote:haven't really heard/seen much about the stadium, does anyone have any photos of the ground from the stands?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aussie_Stadium.JPG

smitty
Bronze

Post by smitty »

Spirit of Santos wrote:
smitty wrote:haven't really heard/seen much about the stadium, does anyone have any photos of the ground from the stands?
what an awesome view! Looks like a great stadium.
Almost looks like there's room for corporate box expansion, in the centre of the photo. Looks like a stadium with real character.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

smitty wrote:
Spirit of Santos wrote:
Almost looks like there's room for corporate box expansion, in the centre of the photo. Looks like a stadium with real character.
Its quite a good medium sized stadium. The roof doesn't provide enough protection from the rain and I understand there is a bit of a problem with viewing from the ends but as I have only ever sat on the sides I can't confirm that personally. It has much better atmosphere when it is full than Etihad has when it is full in oval format.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

kame_22 wrote:
can only assume that the people who bag the SFS have never actually watched a game there.

I don't think it needs expansion at all as it holds 45 000 which meets FIFA requirements. Big internationals, NRL grand finals will always go to Homebush anyway so it would be rather pointless.

As it stands it is the ideal size for what it’s used for. Regular NRL, A-League and Super 12 games.
good point, but before the sfs stadium were was the main rugby league matches played
allot changes in 10yrs

danny
Bronze

Post by danny »

kame_22 wrote:
On that note, does anyone know if FIFA have made it mandatory that only one city can have two venues? or is this just a media write-up?
It's probably just the Melbourne media
as far as i can tell, it's just recent convention that has been accepted as a rule. although in recent world cups, only one city has had two stadiums, i've not seen it written in any fifa guidelines that it must be so.

in fact, there is precedent otherwise; spain, in 1982, had two stadiums in both barcelona and madrid.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

gyfox wrote:
smitty wrote:
Its quite a good medium sized stadium. The roof doesn't provide enough protection from the rain and I understand there is a bit of a problem with viewing from the ends but as I have only ever sat on the sides I can't confirm that personally. It has much better atmosphere when it is full than Etihad has when it is full in oval format.
There's no problem with the view from the ends Though obviously like at any ground it dosent compare to the view from the sideline.

It's always amazed me that this little ground seats 45 000, compared to Docklands which appears to be so much bigger but only holds 55 000.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Spirit of Santos wrote:
gyfox wrote:
smitty wrote: what an awesome view! Looks like a great stadium.
There's no problem with the view from the ends Though obviously like at any ground it dosent compare to the view from the sideline.

It's always amazed me that this little ground seats 45 000, compared to Docklands which appears to be so much bigger but only holds 55 000.
An 82m wide infield v a 140m wide infield makes a lot of difference.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Spirit of Santos wrote:I can only assume that the people who bag the SFS have never actually watched a game there.

I don't think it needs expansion at all as it holds 45 000 which meets FIFA requirements. Big internationals, NRL grand finals will always go to Homebush anyway so it would be rather pointless.

As it stands it is the ideal size for what it’s used for. Regular NRL, A-League and Super 12 games.
This is where you look at the motto of the stadium

SCG Trust - In direct competition with Telstra for major events, will have to upgrade in order to compete with the privately run Telstra Stadium...I can see it getting a Semi Final at the current rate...

aus16
Bronze

Post by aus16 »

there are a few thing wrong with the ends, firstly they have a very low rake and even with the renovations are quite far away from the league tryline as well as some seats are directly behind poles because of the addition of extra seats after the stadiums opening

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Egan wrote:
Spirit of Santos wrote:I can only assume that the people who bag the SFS have never actually watched a game there.

This is where you look at the motto of the stadium

SCG Trust - In direct competition with Telstra for major events, will have to upgrade in order to compete with the privately run Telstra Stadium...I can see it getting a Semi Final at the current rate...
Sydney will not get a semi and a final.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ It will do if they contribute the most money...

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

deejaybee wrote:
Sydney will not get a semi and a final.
Mexico 1986-Azteca held a semi and hosted the Final
USA 1994-Rose Bowl (semi/Final)
France 1998-Stade De France (semi/Final)

It certainly has happened in recent history.I guess if Brisbane ,Perth or Adelaide do not come up with a 60,000 seat stadium,then the Semis naturally will be hosted in Sydney and Melbourne and the final in one of those 2 cities.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

The SFS is an excellent venue with great sightlines except the extension to the ends which was done in 2006 (?). The bottom five or so rows are quite poor. Especially so when there is advertising hoardings in what is the goal goal.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

hot_dogma wrote:The SFS is an excellent venue with great sightlines except the extension to the ends which was done in 2006 (?). The bottom five or so rows are quite poor. Especially so when there is advertising hoardings in what is the goal goal.
if it were about 8-10m shorter and the seats were raised/pitch sunk a little, it'd be a dead set gem. as it is it's pretty bloody good.