$450 Million Upgrade for Adelaide Oval - will host AFL/WC

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Re: $450 Million Upgrade for Adelaide Oval - will host AFL/W

Post by yob »

Appears the Adelaide Oval is having an impact on Port's membership. They've just posted 41695 and are aiming for 50,000 this season.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

yob wrote:Appears the Adelaide Oval is having an impact on Port's membership. They've just posted 41695 and are aiming for 50,000 this season.
IMO Adelaide Oval will end up being good for the Crows, the Pa-ah and the general feel of vibrancy around the city of Adelaide on weekends. #allwin.
Even we that follow other sports should get the occasional win. AO is suitable to host Socceroos and Wallabies games, just not at the same time;)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Of course, every little bit helps. But still piss in a bucket compared to sacking the Adelaide City Council.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

yob wrote:Of course, every little bit helps. But still piss in a bucket compared to sacking the Adelaide City Council.
I saw a fear campaign poster in the Eastern suburbs last night the Stop population Growth Party...against towers and urban infill etc....sacking the ACC wouldn't help. We have too many NIMBYs and FRUITs in this city :(

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

I will be going to the first AFL match at the oval in March while I'm there I might head down to Seaford on the New electric trains as well. On that I hope there will be an increase of patronage to AFL games because of the better Public transport options that existed at Footy Park.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I too have tix to Port v Crows game....should be fun.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:
yob wrote:Appears the Adelaide Oval is having an impact on Port's membership. They've just posted 41695 and are aiming for 50,000 this season.
IMO Adelaide Oval will end up being good for the Crows, the Pa-ah and the general feel of vibrancy around the city of Adelaide on weekends. #allwin.
Even we that follow other sports should get the occasional win. AO is suitable to host Socceroos and Wallabies games, just not at the same time;)

Actually that would be quite appropriate. After all Australian Rules is a derivative of both games. :)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

the crow wrote:I too have tix to Port v Crows game....should be fun.
Eh. You're about 15 years too late. These days the Showdown is a bit Everton/Liverpool.

Brucetiki
Bronze

Post by Brucetiki »

yob wrote:Of course, every little bit helps. But still piss in a bucket compared to sacking the Adelaide City Council.
I saw a fear campaign poster in the Eastern suburbs last night the Stop population Growth Party...against towers and urban infill etc....sacking the ACC wouldn't help. We have too many NIMBYs and FRUITs in this city :(
Those signs are a good laugh - thankfully these types have no chance of getting in

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Brucetiki wrote:
Those signs are a good laugh - thankfully these types have no chance of getting in
Are they actually a joke? Or do people really believe that crap?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

What's a FRUIT?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Rob wrote:What's a FRUIT?
from wiki:

a type of NIMBY..
FRUIT is an acronym for "Fear of Revitalization Urban-Infill and Towers". The word FRUIT or FRUITs is a play on words in support of the acronym BANANAs**. First used in a development industry article in Vancouver to refer to irrational local opponents (fruit cakes, fruit loops or just fruits) of well-planned developments

**BANANA is an acronym for "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything" (or "Anyone"). The term is most often used to criticize the ongoing opposition of certain advocacy groups to land development.[12] The apparent opposition of some activists to every instance of proposed development suggests that they seek a complete absence of new growth. The term is commonly used within the context of planning in the United Kingdom. The Sunderland City Council lists the term on their online dictionary of jargon.

IMO: Adelaide has a very vocal BANANA lobby:( The Adelaide Advertiser loves giving these cardigan wearing luddites column inches.

Brucetiki
Bronze

Post by Brucetiki »

Rob wrote:What's a FRUIT?
IMO: Adelaide has a very vocal BANANA lobby:( The Adelaide Advertiser loves giving these cardigan wearing luddites column inches.
Well, the two Adelaide-based Advertiser journos have to justify their reason for staying in Adelaide to Rupert don't they :lol:

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Yeah, I knew about BANANAs. I like using that to describe certain people at work.

Funnily enough, over here their numbers are declining. Or at least losing their influence.