Australian FIFA World Cup Stadia

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
chief
Bronze

Re: Australian FIFA World Cup Stadia

Post by chief »

I won't comment on the bid, because frankly Frank Lowy would be gutted more so than I am and he passionately loves Football, so I won't comment on the Australian bid.

However I won't hold back on Qatar, what a joke. I predict the threat of terroism, and I heard somewhere there would be 10 stadiums within a few hundred KM's. Sounds about right. I predict Qatar won't actually end up holding the WC, and it will be given to the USA, in 2020. Qatar simply aren't fit to host it.

As for the stadiums, Western Sydney's won't go ahead. Geelong will get a minor upgrade to 35k I believe. Perth are still getting a new stadium however which is great news. Colin Barnett announced that in February plans for the stadium will be released

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

the crow wrote:now that i have that out of my system... what is to happen to Geelong, Perth & West Sydney stadium proposals. Not to mention all other grounds that were hoping for Federal upgrade money...

farkin Kuntz....seems i dont have it out of my system after all
Barnett said yesterday that they will just 'consider' a new stadium if we don't win the World Cup. He's gone back on his plans to build a new stadium.

We will wait till someone dies at Subi Oval before we get a new stadium.

The Crow, commiserations. Apparently had we gone past the first round we could have won the tournament.

kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

isn't the world cup meant to be 32 best countries in the world not 31 and a rich country its a disgrace its gonna hurt for a long time and i thought we were suppose to get 4 first round votes

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Once we lost the OFC vote, apparently the Russian and Cypriot votes were gone too. That was our chance right there.

Even still, had we had the maximum expected six votes, we'd have still needed to hoover up basically every other vote as others were eliminated. We'd need to be *everybody's* second choice.

Qatar got 11 in the first round and that was even with them having parked votes with Japan (Egypt and Thailand voted Japan to prevent them being in last place after the first round). The 11 was inflated by others playing silly buggers but the fact remains Qatar could've won it in one round.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ricardo
Silver

Post by Ricardo »

Please let Israel qualify for 2022

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Ricardo wrote:Please let Israel qualify for 2022
Hell yes:) evil grin:)

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

We'll probably never know what went on behind closed doors to secure votes although knowing FIFA's history you can probably be sure that a LOT of money changed hands. But regardless of that, fact is that we lost the bid and lost it rather badly. I mean seriously, only 1 vote?

Personally though I don't really care that we don't get to host the World Cup, what I am now concerned about it what will happen to the proposed new stadiums and the upgrades to existing ones. I can't see Canberra, Townsville or Blacktown getting their new/upgraded stadiums. Adelaide Oval, Newcastle and the Gold Coast have started on theirs but will they now be scaled back?. Geelong might still get the proposed upgrades to Skilled Park but again, I'm not going to hold my breath. And as for Perth? I have a feeling they are still going to have Subiaco as their main stadium for the next 50 or so years.....

Out of curiosity? Other than being closer to the centre of the known FIFA universe (Europe) and being a mega rich oil based country with seemingly money to burn, what did/does Qatar have going for it over Australia or even the USA that would mean they get awarded the right to host the biggest single sport tournament in the world?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Boba Fett wrote:
the crow wrote:now that i have that out of my system... what is to happen to Geelong, Perth & West Sydney stadium proposals. Not to mention all other grounds that were hoping for Federal upgrade money...

farkin Kuntz....seems i dont have it out of my system after all
The proposals were all dependant on winning last night. So they're all dead in the water... Mark Abib couldn't run fast enough away from those 'commitments'.

Doesn't mean they won't happen - just need to figure out another justification for them to happen. Perth might be able to do that, but I'm not sure about any of the other proposals...
Gold Coast is probably dependent on the commonwealth games bid getting up (which it will).

Adelaide is likely, god only knows with Perth. West Sydney wasn't going to happen anyway. Geelong wouldnt seem viable given it only hosts 7 or 8 games a year.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Well let's go through them all then.
Townsville: Nothing will happen, it's capacity is fine for what currently exists, maybe something will happen with the western stand eventually.
Brisbane: Suncorp is fine.
Gold Coast: Was always more Commonwealth Games dependant, so we should still see this one. Although I can't remember if the LNP support it, but I don't think it will matter, should be already won by the time the next election rolls around. Cause Bligh isn't going to be premier after the next election.
Newcastle: With the current stand upgrade, the needs in the Hunter should be fine for a while, but with the love of upgrading smalller stadiums as election promises in NSW it may get their eventually.
Sydney (SFS): Nothing will happen, everything will be back on the trust to continue smaller upgrades I Imagine, although there was talk of them getting a new roof ect.
Sydney (Blacktown): Dust collector.
Sydney (Olympic Stadium): Nothing will happen you imagine, everything was just about getting the final. An NRL Grand Final contract treat from Brisbane could force them to promise some upgrades
Canberra: Canberra were looking at options anyway, but money is an issue, maybe the new stadium could happen but probably without the option of further upgradability. A "Robina/Flat Pack" would suit them I feel.
Melbourne: Nothing was really promised anyway, comes back to the AFL and demanding upgrades/new Southern Stand.
Geelong: On the drip feed of election promises, the Rectangular part of the upgrade will be gone you imagine.
Adelaide: Did it ever have a rectangular competent to the design? Nothing was obvious from the images we saw. Comes back to the AFL moving to Adelaide Oval.
Perth: Unicorns. Glory and Force should keep forcing upgrades to MES and let the AFL rot in Subi.

wildcat
Bronze

Post by wildcat »

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 16576.aspx

Canberra have scrapped the new stadium, and will focus on upgrading Manuka oval for GWS, no details of what that will involve though.

Canberra also looking for a franchise in the expanded Big Bash cricket competition, but they have been told they need a stadium with lights. Manuka is a suburban ground, they could have issues with residents similar to the ones Bellerive oval had for years.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Local paper down here is reporting that only 3 of the 22 Exco members bothered to read a $5M technical report that FIFA required the England bid team to submit.

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

Well that sucks ...

Anyway, I was writing up what I thought on another forum, then it got a bit lengthy.. so I posted it to my blog and am just posting links on all the sports forums!

http://blog.chuq.net/2010/12/picking-up-pieces.html

It's not spam if it's on-topic is it? :P

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Chuq wrote:Well that sucks ...

Anyway, I was writing up what I thought on another forum, then it got a bit lengthy.. so I posted it to my blog and am just posting links on all the sports forums!

http://blog.chuq.net/2010/12/picking-up-pieces.html

It's not spam if it's on-topic is it? :P
If Qatar is an undeserved winner then why did 14 vote against 8?

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

I watched the Peter Hargitay interview on SBS last night.

He claimed SIX exco members promised Australia their support before the vote

Australia received ONE and were eliminated in the first round

After the vote, TWO exco members claimed their loyalty :lol: :lol: :lol: