Australian FIFA World Cup Stadia

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
the crow
Gold

Re: Australian FIFA World Cup Stadia

Post by the crow »

I saw it too, did he look to be a trustworthy guy to you?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 5966810633

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

yob wrote:
Chuq wrote:Well that sucks ...

Anyway, I was writing up what I thought on another forum, then it got a bit lengthy.. so I posted it to my blog and am just posting links on all the sports forums!

http://blog.chuq.net/2010/12/picking-up-pieces.html

It's not spam if it's on-topic is it? :P
If Qatar is an undeserved winner then why did 14 vote against 8?
I thought that has been made quite clear in my blog post.. and most of the comments on this forum.. and most of the global media?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Chuq wrote:
yob wrote:
Chuq wrote:Well that sucks ...

Anyway, I was writing up what I thought on another forum, then it got a bit lengthy.. so I posted it to my blog and am just posting links on all the sports forums!

http://blog.chuq.net/2010/12/picking-up-pieces.html

It's not spam if it's on-topic is it? :P
If Qatar is an undeserved winner then why did 14 vote against 8?
I thought that has been made quite clear in my blog post.. and most of the comments on this forum.. and most of the global media?
All you've really argued, based on evidence you collected from internet forums - apparently whoever you agree with gets a gig - is that Australia was knocked out of the first round due to collusion. Maybe so. But my question to you is where's the strategy and maneuvering when there's a choice of 2? If Qatar was as undeserved as you think it is, then why not vote USA? 14 didn't.

And where in your 'analysis' do you acknowledge the fact that nearly every single stadium in their bid is absolutely sh*t f***ing hot?

Go ahead and write up a 2 page comparative review of this:

And that 190m long aussie rules stadium so badly wedged up against a suburban street that only 6,000 people fit in the prime viewing position. Or all the other aussie rules stadiums where the soccer pitch has been enlarged to fool you in to thinking you're 30m from the pitch instead of 50.

Khalifa International Stadium - by far the worst stadium in Qatar's bid, is arguably better than Adelaide Oval, Gold Coast, Kardinia Park, MCG and Sydney Olympic Stadium.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

yob wrote:Khalifa International Stadium - by far the worst stadium in Qatar's bid, is arguably better than Adelaide Oval, Gold Coast, Kardinia Park, MCG and Sydney Olympic Stadium.
What are you smoking? Are you comparing it to those grounds in their current format, or the proposed versions? If current then I agree with you (apart from ANZ Stadium), but can't disagree more strongly if you're thinking about the proposed versions. For a start - how would you feel watching a day game at Khalifa on the eastern side of the ground with no roof?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Can't decide between :popcorn: and the fish.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Boba Fett wrote:
yob wrote:Khalifa International Stadium - by far the worst stadium in Qatar's bid, is arguably better than Adelaide Oval, Gold Coast, Kardinia Park, MCG and Sydney Olympic Stadium.
What are you smoking? Are you comparing it to those grounds in their current format, or the proposed versions? If current then I agree with you (apart from ANZ Stadium), but can't disagree more strongly if you're thinking about the proposed versions. For a start - how would you feel watching a day game at Khalifa on the eastern side of the ground with no roof?
Arrange the match schedule to suit each ground's advantages (or avoid its problems). For instance, play night matches at Khalifa, and play 2 games side by side at the MCG so you can be close to a pitch.

On the matter of corruption, let the venues decide. Compare the dirty Qatarians, awash with dirty dirty oil money, and their excessive stadiums with the nice Australians, awash with kind, loving iron ore money for orphans, and their cricket grounds hacked together to meet the minimum requirements of a world cup bid. Why did the country with the best stadiums win and the country with the worst stadiums lose? CORRUPTION I TELL YOU.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

I don't think anyone is arguing that the pictures Qatar put up of their proposed stadiums don't look fantastic - they do! Whether they end up looking like that in reality...

And its more the capacity of a country of such small size (both in terms of population and infrastructure) to deal with the all the visitors that an event like the World Cup attracts. They certainly couldn't cope at the moment - which means they have to build a huge amount of accommodation. What happens to all this accomodation after the World Cup?

And Yob - your proposal to "arrange the match schedule to suit each ground's advantages (or avoid its problems)" sounds nice in theory, but we all know matches are played when the television networks decree them to. Bugger the spectator comfort (or more particularly, player welfare) - there are ratings to think about!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Boba Fett wrote:I don't think anyone is arguing that the pictures Qatar put up of their proposed stadiums don't look fantastic - they do! Whether they end up looking like that in reality...

And its more the capacity of a country of such small size (both in terms of population and infrastructure) to deal with the all the visitors that an event like the World Cup attracts. They certainly couldn't cope at the moment - which means they have to build a huge amount of accommodation. What happens to all this accomodation after the World Cup?

And Yob - your proposal to "arrange the match schedule to suit each ground's advantages (or avoid its problems)" sounds nice in theory, but we all know matches are played when the television networks decree them to. Bugger the spectator comfort (or more particularly, player welfare) - there are ratings to think about!
There shouldn't be any doubt about their capacity to build and host the event. Qatar is in the same boat as UAE cities such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi - they pay top dollar for skilled migration (and bottom dollar for unskilled - someone's gotta build the stuff). At the top of the last economic cycle it wasn't uncommon for cities to double in population in 3-5 years. They can handle tourists.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Just when you thought the Qatar farce was forgotten...

Calls to reschedule the tournament to January-February
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9271449.stm

Neighboring countries to possibly help host the tournament
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sp ... 2-WC-games

So much for FIFA and their requirements book, always knew it was a wank.

Interesting times ahead. :popcorn:

kame_22
Bronze

Post by kame_22 »

i wonder why we lost the bid some games might of been in new Zealand :/

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Apparently Algazera announced that Russia and Qatar had won an hour before the announcment was made by Sepp in Zurich.......WTF????

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

kame_22 wrote:i wonder why we lost the bid some games might of been in new Zealand :/
Complete fabrication.
It was news to the FFA as well! Its Just Unca Sepp-tic Bladder trying to manfully mount a rearguard action against those pesky media types who have the temerity to actually call "bullsh*t!" on the ExCo's decision to bypass England in2018 and USA/Australia for 2022. FFAwon't come directly out and say that its bollix, but the FFA media manager said earlier this week that NZ in the Australia Bid never went further than preliminary "do you reckon we should involve NZ?" type talking around the FFA Board room. Shows how much of a sh*t Unca Sepp gave to I don't know..doing his bloody job and reading the actual bid book. The old guy's losing it. I'd be keen for him to move on, but I'm not too crash hot on his likely replacement in Mohammed Bin Hammam (Qatar) either.
sources:
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/191083,f ... laims.aspx
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/bl ... 18sm6.html

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

the crow wrote:Apparently Algazera announced that Russia and Qatar had won an hour before the announcment was made by Sepp in Zurich.......WTF????
And Al Jazzeera is based in Qatar..coincidence?
I'm not usually one for conspiracies, but it does seem a bit fishy to me:(

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Was the USA bid using the metrodome?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5iE5FA ... r_embedded

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

the crow wrote:Was the USA bid using the metrodome?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5iE5FA ... r_embedded
Qatar won't have these problems