Oki Jubilee Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Re: Oki Jubilee Stadium

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

We have action. World record attempt in progress.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

No comment.....

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Can't ever see it being the permanent home for any professional cricket side, but could be nice to host a few games perhaps?
JUBILEE Oval - the Kogarah base for NRL premiers St George Illawarra - could be a surprise venue in Cricket Australia's revamped Twenty20 competition should Sydney win a second franchise, Cricket NSW chief Dave Gilbert revealed yesterday.

Gilbert said the Dragons, eager to take advantage of the riches on offer in the Twenty20 game, have made informal approaches to Cricket NSW over the past two years about hosting matches at Kogarah. The NSW government announced last month it would tip in a further $13 million in funding to develop the ground, enabling cricket to be played there, but Gilbert said the SCG was still the ''strong favourite'' if Cricket NSW won a second licence. Gilbert said there would ''definitely'' be a team based at ANZ Stadium.

''It's just now if we do get the second licence it's now a process of working out where that second team will play. There's some very, very strong candidates for that, but who knows - there might be other venues,'' he said. ''Kogarah Jubilee has got some possibilities. It can hold 20,000 people, it's got television-quality floodlighting, it's about the same size as North Sydney [Oval]. We've had the St George Illawarra football club approach us very informally over time about getting Twenty20 to Jubilee. We're open to all offers. They're serious because they've seen the value of Twenty20 cricket. It's nice to have options.''

Advertisement: Story continues below

Gilbert said Newcastle and the ACT were contenders but ''clearly the Sydney market demands that it's going to make it very hard to play it anywhere else other than Sydney''.

''Logic says Sydney and Melbourne are probably the favourite,'' he said. ''If someone from another part of Australia can come up with a more convincing argument, then good luck to them. From what I understand, all the data that CA has done, surprise, surprise, shows Sydney and Melbourne are the markets that can sustain two teams.''

CA will decide next February where to base the seventh and eighth teams.

Meanwhile, Gilbert said Cricket NSW was two months away from finalising an arrangement with Indian interests over the private ownership of the new Sydney-based team.

Negotiations involving Cricket NSW, Cricket Victoria and the Indians are based on there being only two, and not four, franchises in Sydney and Melbourne. ''We're still very much at a confidential stage of negotiations, they are an Indian investor group and we're continuing with all the due diligence and all the details we're going to thrash out,'' he said.

''We've only been doing it on the basis of a team. We're not making any assumptions about a second team until we actually here those words uttered from CA's mouth.''

How private ownership will affect the final two teams is still unknown but they will be run separate to the other franchise based in the state.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/fro ... 17hha.html

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The odd 20/20 game should help the Dragons squeeze a few more grandstands out of the guvment. They pick KKK up by the feet and shake her. And grandstands come out.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

The ground would be a bit small wouldn't it? A top edge from a quicks bouncer and they'll be looking for the ball in the Carlton South Primary School. I don't see why they don't continue to use the SCG, ANZ, North Sydney Oval or Bankstown Oval or take the game around the state (more than just Newcastle). Aren't teams supposed to be representing their entire state, not just the capital city and larger populated areas?

Yob my good man and fellow Bloods supporter, who is this KKK of which you speak?

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

HoldenV8 wrote:The ground would be a bit small wouldn't it? A top edge from a quicks bouncer and they'll be looking for the ball in the Carlton South Primary School. I don't see why they don't continue to use the SCG, ANZ, North Sydney Oval or Bankstown Oval or take the game around the state (more than just Newcastle). Aren't teams supposed to be representing their entire state, not just the capital city and larger populated areas?

Yob my good man and fellow Bloods supporter, who is this KKK of which you speak?
If anyone has the time, I would be interested to see how Kogorah compares to some of the IPL grounds in use, wouldn't bee too much smaller I wouldn't think.

As for taking the game around to all places, the T20 comp is much more city based as investors are wanting a market to suck as much $$$ out of as they can, I don't think spreading the games around to encourage grass-roots participation is especially high on their agenda.

And I believe the KKK referred to is Kristina (Kerscher) Keneally

AussieSox
Bronze

Post by AussieSox »

Spirit of Santos wrote:
HoldenV8 wrote:Gee once again the governments seem to be throwing money at St. George-Illawarra to upgrade their grounds. Why are they always the ones who are getting the money when other major grounds such as Brookvale continue to be in a rather pathetic state yet that place never seems to get squat compared to Kogarah or the old Wollongong Showground.

Sorry, just gets me sometimes that Manly have to fight tooth and nail to get anything to upgrade Brookie while the Dragons seem to have won the Government (take your pick between Federal or State) stadium lottery.
As Cheesie said, it's impossible to know what sort of lobbying went on behind closed doors in each case. However, I'd be willing to speculate that the Labor Councillers, State and Federal MPs from the St George District are a lot more genuinely passionate about Rugby League then the blue ribbon Liberal politicians of the Northern Beaches, pretend as they may...

Secondly, I think you have to look at the situation of the two grounds. Kogarah had a tiny Grandstand which didn't even run the length of the field. Expanding this was a a fairly basic and logical step. Stand wise at Brookie, you've already got a main stand that runs the length of the field and wraps around the eastern end. So what would be the solution? Replace the main hill with a stand? It'd have to be a very large to equal the capacity of the hill, that's a major work.
It is pretty simple. Kevin Greene, Minister for Sport in NSW is a massive Dragons fan, might even be the no 1 ticket holder, and the local member in Kogarah (seat of Oatley). That is the reason why Kogarah and WIN get soo much cash (although WIN did need it). Ridiculous when you consider the state of so many sports venues (not just grounds that professional sport is played at) have been neglected by the State Govt over their entire term.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

AussieSox wrote:
Spirit of Santos wrote:
HoldenV8 wrote:Gee once again the governments seem to be throwing money at St. George-Illawarra to upgrade their grounds. Why are they always the ones who are getting the money when other major grounds such as Brookvale continue to be in a rather pathetic state yet that place never seems to get squat compared to Kogarah or the old Wollongong Showground.

Sorry, just gets me sometimes that Manly have to fight tooth and nail to get anything to upgrade Brookie while the Dragons seem to have won the Government (take your pick between Federal or State) stadium lottery.
As Cheesie said, it's impossible to know what sort of lobbying went on behind closed doors in each case. However, I'd be willing to speculate that the Labor Councillers, State and Federal MPs from the St George District are a lot more genuinely passionate about Rugby League then the blue ribbon Liberal politicians of the Northern Beaches, pretend as they may...

Secondly, I think you have to look at the situation of the two grounds. Kogarah had a tiny Grandstand which didn't even run the length of the field. Expanding this was a a fairly basic and logical step. Stand wise at Brookie, you've already got a main stand that runs the length of the field and wraps around the eastern end. So what would be the solution? Replace the main hill with a stand? It'd have to be a very large to equal the capacity of the hill, that's a major work.
It is pretty simple. Kevin Greene, Minister for Sport in NSW is a massive Dragons fan, might even be the no 1 ticket holder, and the local member in Kogarah (seat of Oatley). That is the reason why Kogarah and WIN get soo much cash (although WIN did need it). Ridiculous when you consider the state of so many sports venues (not just grounds that professional sport is played at) have been neglected by the State Govt over their entire term.
Happens everywhere. When we had a Sports Minister that like Rugby and Soccer, we got a rectagula stadium promised and a Socceroos game brought to Perth.

Since then, its been very different...

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah

The Stage III scope of works includes construction of a three (3) level northern grandstand wing with an additional 1580 seats and the replacement of 1730 seats in the existing grandstand. Other works include extra public toilets, disabled toilets, baby change rooms and concession facilities. Refurbishment to existing grandstand toilets, concession outlets, facilities and reconfiguration of change rooms to meet NRL standards and a new combined passenger and service lift to additional corporate and multi purpose function facilities on Level 3 and museum and merchandise store to be located on level 2.

Additional works around the ground include a new multi sport digital scoreboard, with ancillary satellite scoreboards, services upgrades including security system, turnstile and ticketing requirements at Gate B entrance and the construction of a Detention tank for harvesting water from the grandstand roof to assist in the irrigation of the playing and training fields and landscaped gardens.

Work commenced on October 25 and already the north-western terrace has been dismantled and perimeter fencing removed. Footings have been set for the main structure, construction of the 82,000 litre detention tank and stripping out of the existing change rooms and seats from level one and three of the existing grandstand in the early stages.

At this point in time the contract programme indicates that northern grandstand construction works will be completed by the first week in March 2011 with the fit out programmed for completion in the first week of April.
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx? ... ome-venues

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Thoughts:

1. Seems to be confirmation that no new private suites in the redevelopment, just another corporate dining area. Definite trend in stadiums all around the country in favour of the general corporate dining/networking approach to corporate hospitality. I really thought that KoJu could do with some more private suites, but there a lot of well patronised open-air boxes in the top deck.

2. Last of the bucket seats to go. Every seat in the stadium is now a new (oldest from 2003) flip-down number. Big improvement from buckets, aluminium benches and grass a few years ago.

3. New scoreboards..... probably a nice addition, but hopefully they're respectful to the old stand.

4. I'd really hate to do the cost per additional seat calculation. Would not be pretty.

5. I've heard that the NW Terrace is being moved to the southern hill, but no mention here. I hope they do because the southern hill isn't a popular and a semi-permanent stand should help.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Dropped by on my way home from the test this afternoon for some quick photos.

Open northern end of existing stand being filled in and integrated into new greater stand.

Existing Gate B ticket plaza is being integrated into the extended stand. As you can see the northern side of the full grandstand will only be three levels.

Similar to above.

The first floor floor has been laid. Underneath will be the entrance area and probably concession stands/toilets etc. Above will be a museum and merchandise shop. Second floor will be another corporate function area.

Similar to above.

As above but looking to the northern side. You can see the existing northern terrace to the left.

This is the northernmost corner of the new grandstand, with the existing light tower on the left.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Hey Cam, can we get those spam posts from wholesalemall banned please?

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:Dropped by on my way home from the test this afternoon for some quick photos.

Open northern end of existing stand being filled in and integrated into new greater stand.

Existing Gate B ticket plaza is being integrated into the extended stand. As you can see the northern side of the full grandstand will only be three levels.

Similar to above.

The first floor floor has been laid. Underneath will be the entrance area and probably concession stands/toilets etc. Above will be a museum and merchandise shop. Second floor will be another corporate function area.

Similar to above.

As above but looking to the northern side. You can see the existing northern terrace to the left.

This is the northernmost corner of the new grandstand, with the existing light tower on the left.
How many times has this place been redeveloped over the course of 10 years? I mean the place keeps being under construction just look at those images. But they really need to construct more covered seating and less temporary facilites. Good job on the images.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It's called phased development. Clubs are likely to get money if they ask for less of it and governments are happy to hand out smaller amounts over a period of time because it gives them political capital over more than one electoral cycle.

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »