The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
bigdan
Bronze

The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Post by bigdan »

I got a ticket to the Jets vs Mariners clash at EAS on Jan 5 (Xmas gift, and yes, I am going ;) ), and I was just wondering what is the view like from the Upper section of the Western Grandstand? Thanks guys! :D

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Do tell us.

Jeffles
Platinum

Re: The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Post by Jeffles »

bigdan wrote:I got a ticket to the Jets vs Mariners clash at EAS on Jan 5 (Xmas gift, and yes, I am going ;) ), and I was just wondering what is the view like from the Upper section of the Western Grandstand? Thanks guys! :D
So you want to know what the view is like from the spot where the TV cameras are...

bigdan
Bronze

Re: The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Post by bigdan »

Jeffles wrote:
bigdan wrote:I got a ticket to the Jets vs Mariners clash at EAS on Jan 5 (Xmas gift, and yes, I am going ;) ), and I was just wondering what is the view like from the Upper section of the Western Grandstand? Thanks guys! :D
So you want to know what the view is like from the spot where the TV cameras are...
I was just wondering. The last time I went to EAS was in 1998/1999, and I was on the other side on the old hill. I've never been up in there, so I was wondering if someone here has been up there.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I imagine the view would be pretty predictable, but seeing as you're the first person to go there, can you give us an idea of what the facilities are like?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

The top level has pillars so if you're behind one have fun.

It would be interesting to see what the viewing experience is like with the curvature of the stand.

bigdan
Bronze

Post by bigdan »

I'll let you guys know. I thought someone here would've been, that's why I asked. Oh well, I'll go and have a look. I've checked some of the seating maps at Ticketmaster, I don't think my seat is behind any pillars, so I'll should be right.

I'll take some pictures to if I get there early enough (which I doubt :P)...

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

It's not often I steal photos from WorldStadiums.com, it's usually the other way around, anyhow, here's a photo taken from the Western Stand, top level, right on the centre line.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I have seen footage of ISC Newcastle in what appears to be an oval configuration from 1978? Can anyone confirm this and if so, what year was it made a rectangle?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

hot_dogma wrote:I have seen footage of ISC Newcastle in what appears to be an oval configuration from 1978? Can anyone confirm this and if so, what year was it made a rectangle?
http://www.hunterisc.com/dev_history.html

Made a rectangle in 1987, just in time for the Knights.

While we are on the subject, a friend of mine is ballboy for the South Sydney Rabbitohs. He said the away team dressing rooms in the western stand are shocking. Apparently, the Reserve Grade visitors room has only one toilet. and is right next to the cheerleader's rehearsal space. The latter is not entirely a bad thing except that the walls are thin and you cannot hear coaching instructions very well over the blaring of music next door. By the sounds of all that, even Henson Park has better rooms and they probably did before Marrickville Council did some renovations.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stad ... .php?id=46

Check out the bottom picture on this page. Not sure when it was made rectangle though. I would assume it was around 1987 in time for the Knights entry into the NSWRL in 1988.

bigdan
Bronze

Post by bigdan »

cam wrote:It's not often I steal photos from WorldStadiums.com, it's usually the other way around, anyhow, here's a photo taken from the Western Stand, top level, right on the centre line.

That looks pretty good. :) I'll take my digital camera and post the pics up on my site and up here.

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

cam wrote:It's not often I steal photos from WorldStadiums.com, it's usually the other way around, anyhow, here's a photo taken from the Western Stand, top level, right on the centre line.

Yes, that's exactly what we need on the Western side.

Leigh.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/austral ... 56479.html

Built in oval shape to cater for an athletics track, there were some cricket games played there. With athletics and cricket out of the way, it made sense to go rectangle.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Jeffles wrote:http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/austral ... 56479.html

Built in oval shape to cater for an athletics track, there were some cricket games played there. With athletics and cricket out of the way, it made sense to go rectangle.
Quick, someone tell Eden Park!