The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

Re: The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Post by Egan »

Looks great!

I really like EA Stadium when I went up there for a match. Crow, I would like for the World Cup the oodles of paddocks to be developed for some restaurants/bars/entertainment precinct. Perfect opportunity to really revitalise that area of newcastle with a pedestrian laneway/facilities leading up to a park in front of the venue...

Thanks for the photos.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The paddocks are playing fields for cricket and I think soccer, though I have not been there during the middle of winter.

That said, a walkway going ESE from the ground, north of the tennis club to Broadmeadow Station would improve the amenity of the place and some good use of the space between the western stand and Turton Road. Seems a waste having just a car park but the cars have to go somewhere

Danp638
Bronze

Post by Danp638 »

Egan wrote:Looks great!

I really like EA Stadium when I went up there for a match. Crow, I would like for the World Cup the oodles of paddocks to be developed for some restaurants/bars/entertainment precinct. Perfect opportunity to really revitalise that area of newcastle with a pedestrian laneway/facilities leading up to a park in front of the venue...

Thanks for the photos.
All of this sort of development is planned for the current area where the Knights admin building, the Putt Putt Golf & the go karts are. From memory, it includes a hotel, function centre, open area for access to the stadium, and i think a clubhouse or some sort of sports bar to service the stadium before and after games.

The other side near the hockey fields is used for cricket, athletics etc, they have that earmarked as a development area as well but more for sports then entertainment, they used to have that info up on the ISC trust website, since HVA was formed all that info has gone missing, along with the history section about the former uses of the oval, bit of a shame really.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

For anyone wondering why they had to re-turf the field check this out:
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-32.91885,15 ... d=20101026

Satellite photo taken on 26 October.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

It's been far too long since the last update. Anyone?

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

Drove past the side of it yesterday. There is one section of the precast upper deck left to go in. The roofing structure is about half done. The external cladding is being applied to the northern end. Couldn't see any of the lower areas, but I reckon it'll be a tight finish, given only 11 weeks till it's due to open.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

This was taken on 3 January. I'll be going to EAS tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if there is much progress. Someone said to me last time that since the World Cup announcement work has pretty much ceased on the site.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

hot_dogma wrote:Image

This was taken on 3 January. I'll be going to EAS tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if there is much progress. Someone said to me last time that since the World Cup announcement work has pretty much ceased on the site.
Coincidence. Construction sites goes in to complete shutdown over December/January.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Yeah I can't see the project stopping halfway through construction simply because Australia lost its 2022 world cup bid. You'll probably find the new stand will open somewhere around when its scheduled to.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Took quite a few pics yesterday. Myself and a few other people were forced to move from our spots as the super strong wind was blowing sh*t around from the top of the stand.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

hot_dogma wrote:Took quite a few pics yesterday. Myself and a few other people were forced to move from our spots as the super strong wind was blowing sh*t around from the top of the stand.
Any chance you could share some of these pics?

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

Boba Fett wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:Took quite a few pics yesterday. Myself and a few other people were forced to move from our spots as the super strong wind was blowing sh*t around from the top of the stand.
Any chance you could share some of these pics?
^^yes please:)

saintgong
Bronze

Post by saintgong »

Really looking forward to heading up there for the dragons game in round 4. Looks like this is going to be the biggest, best and most modern stadium outside the capital cities. Massive fan of the red and blue pattern on the seats. Shame the gov isnt down to give this kind of pointless money on aesthetic features to all NRL venues. How cool would that look

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Thatnks for posting these.

Looking good, but when's the target date for completion? Always amazes me how quickly stadiums (or stands) progress from this stage to completion despite it looking like there's still heaps to do.