Lang Park

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dan
Silver

Lang Park

Post by Dan »

Anyone got the latest construction pics for Lang Park?

Hows progress? ...etc etc...

I havent heard much for a while.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

A few comments:

-Probably will be the best rectangular stadium in Australia
-I like the retention of the old stand.Adds plenty of character
-Spectators look like they will be close to action and should provide great atmosphere
-I still hate the roof itself.Boring,dull and looks like very out of date.
-Anyone know the roof coverage.Is it 100% roof coverage of spectators?
-Not big enough.52,500 has always been 10,000 too small.
-Looks like still plenty to do though.Not sure if they will finish by State of Origin time.
-Wonder if those top ends(in the corners) can be filled with more seats one day?

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Breaking Lang Park news............
On today's Channel 10 Brisbane 5 O'clock News, the head of the stadium workers union claimed that the large cranes still on the site were meant to be gone 5 weeks ago so the plan is not on schedule as the Qld govt would have us believe. Even today the govt is in damage control claiming that the only works unfinished by June will be the elevated walkway from the stadium to Roma Street Parklands.
I agree that it doesn't look like it will be ready by June 1 (Broncos vs Knights) but you never know. Remember, the grass is being grown at Redlands and once the seats are put in (which will take just a couple of days), the stadium will look almost done.
It will definitely be done by time of Rugby WC in October/November. That is a given.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

I believe that it is big enough to be a FIFA World Cup venue. At the 2002 WC, I think that all but 3 of the stadiums were only 40,000+.
Besides, by the looks of it, with that small roof, I'm sure another tier could one day be added to at least the 3 new sides of the ground thus lifting capacity by as much as 20,000 if needed.
And, yes it will be the best rectangular stadium in Australia when completed.
'The Cauldron' will be back and better than ever. Just think of the atmosphere a fully enclosed Lang Park will sound like when Queensland gloriously holds the State of Origin trophy aloft yet again. :D :D :D

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Lang Park will not only be the best rectangular stadium in australia, it could be one of australias best, and will be a great asset to Brisbane, With the Soccer World Cup i think it should hold a semi final, if we do indeed get the rights as it is the premier rectangular stadium. I could see my beloved Perth Glory making home quite easily in that magnificent stadium.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Plans just unveiled show that the Caxton Street (northern) plaza area outside the stadium will be the site of a large 'State of Origin Walk of Fame' containing plaques of all 134 players to have worn the maroon jersey since 1980. These plaques will fan out from the famous Wally Lewis statue, a ground icon since the mid 90's. The Queensland Minister for Sport & Tourism (AKA the Deputy Premier) Terry Mackenroth says that his rugby league-mad wife gave him the idea and he worked the concept from that. Apparently she also gave him the brilliant idea for the yet to be decided tribute to Queensland & Canberra great Peter Jackson (one of the public bars or a grandstand) who tragically took his own life a couple of years ago. If she's the one with all the good ideas, maybe she should be the Minister for Sport rather than Terry Mackenroth. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Hey..While Im in the historical mode frenzy,how about this beauty of Lang Park from the old days!!!!..What a difference!!!

Anyone got any idea of what date we are looking at here???

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Where are you getting some of these old pics Dan, because they are fantastic :!: :!: :!:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Its probably what the MCG looked like 100 years, its only been in the last 20 years that stadiums have upgraded into the great facilities they are today.