Proposed WACA Redevelopment

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

Proposed WACA Redevelopment

Post by Egan »

Well as I predicted, the temporary stand would knock the Inverarity and Prindiville Stands down.

I am sort of in support.

Although what happens if the Warriors win the right to hold the One Day Competition or the Shield Final?

Surely they will have precedence over the Rugby?

Late Season Matches at Leederville? One Day Domestic Final at Leederville would be fantastic 8)

It just doesn't make sense though, play your earlier matches at the WACA and then play games at an inferior venue for the finals...although drop in wickets will probably make this problem less of a deal then I am making it out to be...You could probably feasibly play cricket one week and rugby union on the same ground the week after with a drop in wicket?

It means a slightly inferior rectangular stadium, but with the added bonus for additional capacity for one day internationals (that currently sell out yearly)...and Ashes Test Matches.

Anyways here's the report, basically as I suggested except for the two tier stands on both sides of the ground.

www.thewest.com.au

WACA in revamp pitch for Super 14

JOHN TOWNSEND

The WA Cricket Association will build a retractable stand seating 20,000 fans, use drop-in pitches and play its late season matches at another venue in a bold bid to attract the Western Force as a permanent tenant.

Desperate to find another income source to guarantee its long-term survival at WA's cricket headquarters, the WACA has made a strong play to also become the home of WA's Super 14 team.

Pre-empting the interim report of the Langoulant stadium task force, WACA officials have given Rugby WA a proposal to move to East Perth by offering to:

Demolish the existing Inverarity and Prindiville stands to make way for a new retractable stand on the northern flank.

Move cricket away in February and March.

Remove the 10-pitch centre square and replace it with a drop-in playing surface.Obviously their previous concerns about the pitch changing have evaporated after this season.

The major redevelopment - the biggest in the ground's chequered history - would lift the capacity to 35,000 and cost more than $50 million.

It would require significant State Government support with the WACA eyeing the $25 million committed by then premier Geoff Gallop to an upgrade of Members Equity Stadium during WA's bid in 2004 to secure the new Super 14 licence.

WACA chairman David Williams presented the redevelopment plan to Alan Carpenter last month as well as to the Langoulant task force.

"The WACA officials used the occasion to discuss a proposal they are developing with Rugby WA," the Premier said. "The proposal was purely conceptual and preliminary. I indicated I would be happy to meet them again once they developed more specific details."

Cricket officials believe the task force will recommend a two-stadium deal with a greenfields site or revamped Subiaco Oval hosting football while the WACA could be the site of the rectangular stadium required for rugby and soccer. I am tipping that Cockburn has rocketed into contention over the last few months.

It would also become the centrepiece of a new residential and commercial precinct as part of the East Perth Gateway project.

"The WACA is not a sustainable business case long term with cricket as its only tenant,"(Different to what Dodemaide told me last season) Mr Williams said. "We are having a serious crack at getting rugby to the WACA.

"It will require a lot of money so we could knock down the Prindiville and Inverarity stands and erect a retractable stand that would be out for cricket and in February would go in for rugby."

Mr Williams said the WACA would continue to host international cricket but would transfer State matches to another ground once the Super 14 season started in February.

Rugby WA chairman Geoff Stooke confirmed positive discussions had been held with the WACA but nothing further would develop until the Langoulant report was released.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

What a waste when they could be doing more with MES - a purpose built venue!

The WACA lost its chance at relevance when its redevelopment precluded WAFL games being played there.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:What a waste when they could be doing more with MES - a purpose built venue!

The WACA lost its chance at relevance when its redevelopment precluded WAFL games being played there.
Last redevelopment done was to move away from football and look towards accomodating the rectangular sports...they built it so that the Glory would think about moving in.

MES is not popular because of the rentage issue with Tana - who still holds managerial rights over the stadium.

Rugby League have the opposite view on playing games at the WACA...I also think the WACA will have a problem getting that much funding for a non-governmental ground, when MES can be redeveloped and still be owned by local and state government.

I think its not completely likely at the present stage...I think it will be enticing for the Force, I just doubt our Premier will want to fund the WACA.

Only thing it will be good for is WACA Membership purchases and the increased capacity for Blockbuster matches, but I don't think one year of good test match crowds warrant an increase in capacity for the few blockbuster clashes a year (eg we still didn't sell out the first day of the test match last year)

Piefan39
Bronze

WACA - Western Force

Post by Piefan39 »

I dont read the "worst australian" very often so I missed all this stuff. Couldnt find anything on the WACA or Western Force websites.

Why would they want to knock down the Prindiville stand? The Inverarity seems a fair way from the action but the view from there is alright actually.

Better than watching the Rugby at Subi I reckon...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote:What a waste when they could be doing more with MES - a purpose built venue!
What he said.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The WACA are kidding themselves if they think their recent redevelopment will attract rectangle sports, especially when there was all the show about a pupose built venue.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

If the WACA gets another cent spent on it while we still have a 3rd rate footy stadium it's a disgrace.

Lets see how many people go to Force matches in 2010 before we spend money on huge moveable stands.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:The WACA are kidding themselves if they think their recent redevelopment will attract rectangle sports, especially when there was all the show about a pupose built venue.
And you wonder why I wanted to blow the entire stadium up a few years ago.

This was the making of Kath White...the twit with a capital T.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Egan wrote:And you wonder why I wanted to blow the entire stadium up a few years ago.
you've mellowed in your old age :wink:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Looking at the state budget the 25 million dollar redevelopment of MES is still on the cards...a 5 million dollar State Netball Centre will also be built...hopefully it looks a bit like ETSA Park.

As well as the 190 million dollar Indoor Stadium will be built.

24.5 million dollars will be spent next year, with only $500,000 spent, probably in artist impressions and planning..

Bad Luck Force and WACA.

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

I don't understand, why is it bad luck for the Force? Surely if the $25m development at MES goes ahead then they're closer to having a true rectangular Rugby stadium as opposed to the compromise oval that the WACA is proposing or the full size AFL oval they're currently stuck with. Based on their crowds for the season just finished (including novelty value), a 25,000-30,000 ish MES would be more than suitable for most games with the option to still host one or two blockbuster matches at the larger AFL ground (whether that be Subiaco or a new venue). How do they lose out?

Leigh

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Because Force management are the ones that don't want a 22,000 capacity stadium...they are now demanding a 35,000 seat stadium, although I think they will be happy with 25,000.

They are also not happy with the amount of corporate allocation that the MES redevelopment will involve.

Yes it will be great, but won't be what the Force or the WACA wants.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Just to clarify the Force bid for an increase in capacity on MES to 25,000 has not been decided yet...and it is still planned to be 22,000...thus why they are exploring options for a 35,000 seat stadium.

Piefan39
Bronze

any developments

Post by Piefan39 »

Are there any further developments in the Force & WACA discussions?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Me drools at the idea of the East Perth Royals playing in the AFL, based at the WACA, with the lease on the ground jointly held by the WAFC in winter and WACA in summer.