Proposed WACA Redevelopment

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

The WACA planning process is likely to take at least 18 months and require the East Perth Redevelopment Authority to more than double its current precinct height restriction from eight storeys.
There's an eight storey height restriction near the WACA? When i went to WA I was suprised how close the WACA is to the CBD. So why is there such a stupid height restriction around there?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

broncos wrote:
There's an eight storey height restriction near the WACA? When i went to WA I was suprised how close the WACA is to the CBD. So why is there such a stupid height restriction around there?
Its East Perth a suburb, not really CBD, with mainly residents around the WACA, School Next door, lots of apartments/townhouses etc etc.

CBD is further west.

Who knows why there is a height restriction, probably so some people don't lose their views...this is WA after all.

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

broncos wrote:
The WACA planning process is likely to take at least 18 months and require the East Perth Redevelopment Authority to more than double its current precinct height restriction from eight storeys.
the hieght restrictions are probaly gonna get lifted to about 25 floors with the riverside development (controled by EPRA) happening across hay street.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

docker wrote:
the hieght restrictions are probaly gonna get lifted to about 25 floors with the riverside development (controled by EPRA) happening across hay street.
Rightio this project seems certain to go ahead then.

I am going to feel gutted to see the Barry Shepard Gates go, I have an attachment to those gates and whinging at the most uptight Security Guards you have ever seen.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Hell yeah!!! :shock:

Looks brilliant and I really hope this goes ahead...

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

broncos wrote:
City of Perth - bunch of buffoons with King Buffoon Nattrass leading the charge.
I wasn't actually aware of the height restriction in East Perth until now, but it's hardly surprising if it's true. They've got a 3 or 4 storey height restriction in Northbridge, which basically prevents more than a few dozen people moving into the area. Then they complain about it being a urine soaked heck hole. :roll:
By all means restrict high rise buildings out in the burbs, but FFS anywhere within 3km of the CBD is fair game. You want lots of people living in these areas.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote:. They've got a 3 or 4 storey height restriction in Northbridge, which basically prevents more than a few dozen people moving into the area. Then they complain about it being a urine soaked heck hole. :roll: .
City Council has way to much power, it is clear that the present State Government policy is to limit urban sprawl and fill in the area's that have not been developed.

One thing that hasn't been determined, how is traffic going to cope with a significant increase in residents, commercial area and sporting crowd when you get big games.

When 30,000 people went to the AFL people would not move a muscle in the carpark for over an hour, I have seen 20,000 people at a Twenty/20 match cause a traffic jam in the whole city.

My assumption is that the tram line will be constructed to the WACA if this indeed happens as the beginning of the proposed inner city tram way they have looked into.

They must see that this development can strategically cope with traffic, I have my doubts.

Addressing Public Transport access is of upmost priority in this development as well, no use spending millions on the development when you still have a problem getting people going by rail.

3-4 years to construct, I would be thinking the demolition of the Inverarity and Prindiville Stands would be done after next summer, if this was the case...especially because they would want the capacity for a few more years.

You also have the possible use as a WAFL finals venue if the 60,000 seat facility is constructed, it becomes a very small venue but alas may be more suitable into the future if crowds remain sub 30,000.

Alas this development seems to secure its future as a one sport only venue and I am not worried because

1. I do not want to watch Test Cricket when the hype noobia drops with 10,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium

2. I would HATE to watch domestic cricket in Floreat, where facilities to eat during the breaks are limited, longer to get there and without the easy access into the city after the matches.

Thus why I support this development, it just makes sence for cricket in this state. And I see the roof they are going to build, brings Shade to most people in that stand, while the office block where the Barry Shepard Stand is will also give shade.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

quidgybo wrote:
Still listed for 2pm this Sunday as far as I can see.
Yeah , can't really be too concerned about how embarassing it looks .

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

I concur with RobertHeatleyStand. The depiction looks great. If it goes ahead, what affect (if any) will it have on Perth's long awaited new "superstadium"?

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote: You also have the possible use as a WAFL finals venue if the 60,000 seat facility is constructed, it becomes a very small venue but alas may be more suitable into the future if crowds remain sub 30,000.
The WAFL will never be interested in the WACA .

This is a very selfish move my the WACA and you'll find the government wont advance a cent towards it or any infrastructure because it puts a spanner in the works for it's stadia proposal , which is the common sense approach , the big stadia for the big games and a new facility for cricket's lesser games ,and selling off the WACA to help the bottom line .

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

sandyhill wrote:I concur with RobertHeatleyStand. The depiction looks great. If it goes ahead, what affect (if any) will it have on Perth's long awaited new "superstadium"?
None the WACA's official position before Dodemaide left was that it would not be moving to the Super Stadium, because it was not in their interests.

Thus this position has been given before this stadium redevelopment that is planned.

Urban Village planning has been on the drawboard for the WACA as this is the last area of East Perth to be done in the Urban Village style of the rest of East Perth.

Expect Gloucester Park to have similar development of Apartments around its trotting track, putting in place the desired outcome for Property Developers to have urban communities around sporting venues.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote:
the WACA's official position before Dodemaide left was that it would not be moving to the Super Stadium, because it was not in their interests.
The official position of WAFC is that they want to develope SUbiaco .
Doesn't mean any new development will be made there .

Doesn't ment the WACA wont see the sense of playing cricket at grounds
commensurate with crowd sizes .

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The official position of WAFC is that they want to develope SUbiaco .
Doesn't mean any new development will be made there .

Doesn't ment the WACA wont see the sense of playing cricket at grounds
commensurate with crowd sizes
No of course not, but what I was saying is that the official position the WACA presented to the public was there was no risk that Test Cricket and Domestic Cricket would move from the venue as they had rejected the attempts by the Major Stadia Taskforce to agree to share the major 60,000 seat stadium with football.

WACA's cricket crowd sizes other then last season's once in a lifetime crowd hysteria, have not grown dramatically in the last decade to say that playing Test Match Cricket at a 60,000 seat stadium was a more ideal option then a 30,000 seat stadium. (You would be lucky to sell that out on Day 1 in a few years time).

Domestic Cricket has heights of 11-16,000 only a few years ago, it is not impossible to see that a few games per year would go above 10,000.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:
Rob wrote:. They've got a 3 or 4 storey height restriction in Northbridge, which basically prevents more than a few dozen people moving into the area. Then they complain about it being a urine soaked heck hole. :roll: .
City Council has way to much power, it is clear that the present State Government policy is to limit urban sprawl and fill in the area's that have not been developed.

One thing that hasn't been determined, how is traffic going to cope with a significant increase in residents, commercial area and sporting crowd when you get big games.

When 30,000 people went to the AFL people would not move a muscle in the carpark for over an hour, I have seen 20,000 people at a Twenty/20 match cause a traffic jam in the whole city.
That's because they shut Ozone reserve out of being a carpark once football left.
My assumption is that the tram line will be constructed to the WACA if this indeed happens as the beginning of the proposed inner city tram way they have looked into.
I reckon that's got no chance whatsoever of happening. Not in the next 30 years anyway.

They must see that this development can strategically cope with traffic, I have my doubts.

Addressing Public Transport access is of upmost priority in this development as well, no use spending millions on the development when you still have a problem getting people going by rail.

3-4 years to construct, I would be thinking the demolition of the Inverarity and Prindiville Stands would be done after next summer, if this was the case...especially because they would want the capacity for a few more years.

You also have the possible use as a WAFL finals venue if the 60,000 seat facility is constructed, it becomes a very small venue but alas may be more suitable into the future if crowds remain sub 30,000.
Once again, no chance of happening. The ground is no longer suited to football.
Alas this development seems to secure its future as a one sport only venue and I am not worried because

1. I do not want to watch Test Cricket when the hype noobia drops with 10,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium

2. I would HATE to watch domestic cricket in Floreat, where facilities to eat during the breaks are limited, longer to get there and without the easy access into the city after the matches.

Thus why I support this development, it just makes sence for cricket in this state. And I see the roof they are going to build, brings Shade to most people in that stand, while the office block where the Barry Shepard Stand is will also give shade.
I still reckon a smaller ground incorporated into the Burswood stadium plan would be fantastic. You'd have the big super stadium for ODI's and big test matches, and the smaller, maybe 5-10,000 capacity (something like Allan Border field) for the domestic matches, and hopefully a WAFL team like Perth be based there as well.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

big test matches
What happens with the normal test matches, the 5-10,000 facility becomes to small for the first 2 days of the test match?

Still I haven't seen anything mentioned about transport by the WACA administrators, have they not considered this in redeveloping it back to 30,000?