Proposed WACA Redevelopment

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

Egan wrote:NRL plan to have a team here by 2010.
Won't happen. I think the WARL would like it to happen by then and I think most progressive people within the game see it as a desirably step in the medium term. But as with everything it all comes down to money. The new TV deal and club financing structure that takes effect from 2007 and continues thru to the end 2012 is predicated on a 16 team competition. More clubs means everybody else gets a smaller share of the same pie. Given that only one club turned a profit last year even though it was the most successful season ever there's no way the clubs are going to accept a smaller share. Until the pie grows by enough to fund an additional club without affecting the existing clubs, there won't any new clubs, and the pie won't grow again until the next TV deal in 2013.

In the meantime the only alternative to a new club is re-allocation of an existing license (and the funding that supports it). For that to happen we have to assume an existing club collapses or voluntarily decides it needs to relocate sometime in the next four years. In the case of collapse we have to assume the NRL doesn't just decide to replace the club in the same area (eg. Auckland - probably true for any non Sydney side). Relocation of a non-Sydney side is almost certainly out of the question. As for relocation or collapse of a Sydney club you have to build the case for relocating to Perth ahead of the last remaining outpost of RL heartland without a club - the Central Coast. Given the proximity to their existing fan base and the area's RL pedigree, any club needing out of Sydney would be mad to pass up the opportunity while the option is still available. The first Sydney side to go is moving to the Central Coast, simple as that.

IMHO the next opportunity for Perth, Adelaide and Wellington will be a possible expansion of team numbers (to seventeen or eighteen) as part of the next television deal in 2013. Prior to that the league will be desperate to plug the Central Coast gap while avoiding having to hand out a new license in NSW.

Leigh.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

NRL by 2010 must be very old mail. The NRL have said they will not look at a new team until the TV deal expires, which from memory is 2012.

That said, I want to see more RL games in Perth (and Adelaide, and CC, and NZ, etc, etc).

Piefan39
Bronze

Capacity?

Post by Piefan39 »

What are the current capacities of;
MES
WACA
Subi Oval

I'm thinking a rectangular stadium of 15K (MES), A multi purpose venue for 25K (remodelled WACA) & a large stadium for AFL/ODI Cricket/International Soccer & Rugby (Subi/Cockburn/?)

What is the best option?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

MES - 18,500
WACA - 20,000
Subiaco - 42,885

When you say Multi-Purpose Facility, what sports do you want played out of the venue?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:NRL plan to have a team here by 2010.

I asked them what sort of crowds they would expect - they said the same as soocer.

They said crowd attendances was middle of the table for the Super League/NRL and that was not the real reason why they folded.

Leigh, I think Rugby support is not a foreign sport in this state...it has a history of 100 years and their are full blooded aussies that only support Rugby (those I have known, and have been waiting years for a team...yes not as big football, but its been established for decades).

And 3 NRL matches will be played next year in Perth, thats why I talk about NRL.
Jaysus, an NRL team in Perth in the next 4 years is the height of optimism. They need to do a shitload of work here to actually create some awareness of the product. Because at the moment there is squat. It's been posted on bigfooty (which isn't the most reliable of sources) that the WARL is down to just 2 divisions and about 8 clubs. In a city of 1.5 million people, that is pretty bloody small fry if it's true.

Piefan39
Bronze

Multi purpose

Post by Piefan39 »

I guess Cricket & Rugby mainly...

Shayne
Bronze

Post by Shayne »

Why does the WACA need to be changed at all? Stuff that, it's perfect as it is. Big cricket games can be played at Subiaco (or wherever the 'new big stadium' is built).

Force and Glory should play at a 35k MES. This ground should be built up with an eye to being able to increase further so that it doesn't turn out to be a debacle like Subi has. This ground would also hold NRL matches and an NRL team if we got one.

There is some space at MES for Glory and Force to build some quality offices and clubrooms etc and jointly base themselves at the ground. If these two entities sorted themselves out and teamed up then they would have considerable pulling power to lobby for the ground's redevelopment to continue. Remember there is already $25mil floating around that was promised to MES.

MES could also be used for big concerts etc that some people are really concerned about!

The other stadium could then be built - or Subi increased - with Aussie Rules and big cricket games in mind, as long as the WAFC doesn't have a controlling share in it. Perhaps this new ground could have a body appointed that looks after the best interests of the ground and the general public (is this what the SCG trust does?).

IN THE END, I believe we should finish with these stadiums...
- WACA Ground: remain as it is for cricket use.
- MES: built to 35k+ for rugby, football (soccer), league and concerts.
- New or Subi: 60k at least for aussie rules and big events like international fixtures.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Shayne the state government is saying that it won't necessarily fund a new 60,000 seat stadium...I don't think we will end up with any upgrades for the WACA or Subiaco.

But thats because I am a pessimist.

WACA is not viable if it loses big games, it surely can not function just as a State League venue...there would be no need.

They are desperate for a Winter Tenant...

In the end I don't see anymore money being allocated to MES, WACA will stay as it is and Force will remain at Subiaco.

The Government has been less then prompt on deciding whether or not it increases funding for the Western Force.

With Ron Alexander indicating that it will not cater for the honeymoon figures of the Western Force...thus I doubt the WACA or MES will get the funds.

I think the Government will say accept the 22,000 or nothing.

Force will take the nothing and will probably stay at Subiaco, which is to big for the Force and to small for the AFL.

But thats me being pessimistic after being so majorly dissapointed by this state government over so many years.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

That initial quote of 'honeymoon period' a few years ago is a pre-eminent thing that continues to reverberate within me that the government view has not changed in regards to the rectangular stadium.

John O'Niell the former FFA and Rugby Union boss has been quoted in today's media that he says that Soccer and Rugby can not wait 5-10 years for a 35,000 seat facility.

And then there is this...

The WACA doomed?

I could have given this prognosis for free five years ago and would have had the new stadium up already...Shenton Park for Domestic Cricket - interesting.

www.thewest.com.au

WACA may be sold as part of stadium plan

31st March 2007, 7:00 WST

Perth’s historic WACA Ground could be sold for up to $80 million and the proceeds used to fund a new domestic cricket centre at Shenton Park under a plan to be put to the association’s 7500 members.

The proposal would see the WACA become a key player in any new stadium to be built as a result of recommendations from the task force headed by Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief John Langoulant

International cricket would be played at the new stadium and interstate matches held at the new ground built on University of WA land adjacent to Challenge Stadium. (Public Transport is sh*t, worse then the WACA which is my biggest concern)

The WACA decided this week to poll its members after recognising that construction of a new stadium would end any prospects of the State Government providing financial assistance to maintain its East Perth headquarters.

The Langoulant task force is expected to make it clear next month that it believes WA sport would be best served by a new stadium, costing up to $1 billion, at an inner-city greenfields site.

But it was likely to make the WACA unviable and would require the association to take drastic action to cater for its domestic and development responsibilities.

WACA chairman David Williams wrote to all members last night asking for feedback on the possibility of abandoning the 122-year-old home of WA cricket. “We want to know what our members think,” he said. “Things haven’t changed dramatically over the past 12 months but I needed to give members a brief rather than just have a survey lob on their desks.”

Mr Williams said preliminary advice was that the ground, which was granted to the WACA in 1885 and is in the middle of a rapidly developing residential precinct, could be worth up to $80 million.

That figure did not take into account the many millions of dollars required to clear the site and prepare it for development.

The WACA would have to consider selling the ground if a new major arena was built because the Government had made it clear that no further money would be spent on a onesport facility.

The WACA faced substantial maintenance costs over the next decade, particularly on the ageing Inverarity and Prindiville stands, but knew the ground was unlikely to drive enough revenue to meet those costs.

“It is the current view of the majority of the board that we cannot self-fund necessary improvements over the next decade,” Mr Williams said.

“If the Government commits to a new greenfields stadium — and in that event it is clear there would be no funding for the WACA — we should support that concept, provided all conditions required by the board in respect of the WACA are met.”

Mr Williams said those conditions would include WACA members retaining good facilities, the cost of playing cricket was acceptable and that support was forthcoming for a new domestic cricket centre.

JOHN TOWNSEND

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

This reminds me - a month or more back, when Tony Dodemaide started his new job with the VCA, he was interviewed on SEN and one of the questions was the future of the WACA ground as a cricket venue. His answer indicated he had grave doubts abouts its future - basically said that it wasn't economically viable ATM and desperately needed a winter tenant to survive..

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

sandyhill wrote:This reminds me - a month or more back, when Tony Dodemaide started his new job with the VCA, he was interviewed on SEN and one of the questions was the future of the WACA ground as a cricket venue. His answer indicated he had grave doubts abouts its future - basically said that it wasn't economically viable ATM and desperately needed a winter tenant to survive..
A cricket assoication needs to be subsidised by another sport in order to survive?

Surely a first...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

sandyhill wrote:. His answer indicated he had grave doubts abouts its future - basically said that it wasn't economically viable ATM and desperately needed a winter tenant to survive..
Not anything new...Dodemaide allowed the WACA have another 5-6 years life then what it would have had, if the twit of the century had stayed in control.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

the WACA should seriously think of developing it them selves, they will make 10 times the fold if it is seriously going to be over run by residential areas.

highrise mixed use commercial / residentail / community developments could also have continued revenue, so they can keep pulling in the cash not relying soley on cricket or sport as a revenue stream.

they caould also redevelop to suite themselves to retain aspects of the herritage not a developers smash and grab scheeme which would be a pitty with 122 years of history behind it.

greenie points for doing their bit for the commmunity...cause they care or what ever spin they want to put on it.

not to mention reduced capital works expenditurefor the future development as it its new.

2 buckets of money is better than 1

so what is that ....win win win win situation, they would be wacca's if they didnt. ( is that on yobs adelaide list? or just a wagga expression)

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

:shock:

http://www.wabusinessnews.com.au/en-sto ... pment-/dba
WACA goes into bat with $250m redevelopment
13-April-07 by Jenelle Carter

The Western Australian Cricket Association has moved to shore up its financial and sporting future by agreeing to partner in a $250 million redevelopment (see pictures below) of the WACA ground with developer Ascot Capital Ltd, the operator of Jandakot Airport.

The joint venture announced today will see the existing northern stands demolished and the ground transformed into a 30,000 seat venue, overlooked by two 17-storey residential towers of 160 apartments and two six-storey office buildings alongside 24 townhouses and a significant retail and entertainment precinct.

Unique to the WACA's proposal, are 56 short-stay residential apartments located across the upper levels of its new northern stand, which come match day, would be converted into 80 corporate suites.

A three to four year time frame has been put on the project, with both parties agreeing that gaining planning permission for the 17-storey towers would be one of a number of hurdles it had to overcome.

Ascot Capital have committed to funding the entire project through a combination of equity and debt, with the WACA retaining its free-hold title over the ground.

WACA chief executive Graeme Wood said the proposal was not contingent on government funding, however it would seek assistance of between $15 and $20 million from the government to create a Centre for Cricket Excellence at the University of Western Australia' sports park in Floreat to provide indoor and outdoor practice facilities, to replace those lost through the redevelopment.

Part of the funding would also be used to replace existing lighting towers at the ground.

"Our president Dennis Lillee has relentlessly pursued our vision to find a development which would allow us to keep our home by the river. It's a partnership which I believe will take Western Australian Cricket to another level," Mr Wood said.

"This combination of a world class cricket arena within a commercial/residential mix will create a stunning development...it's St John's Wood plus the river."

Premier Alan Carpenter, government representatives, the Major Stadia Taskforce, East Perth Redevelopment Authority and neighbouring Trinity College have been briefed on the proposed redevelopment.

The WACA's new partner, Ascot Capital, is in the process of developing 160 hectares of office, warehouse and distribution facilities at Jandakot Airport, and has extensive commercial, retail and industrial interests throughout Australia, United Kingdom and South Africa.

The full text of a company announcement is pasted below

The Western Australian Cricket Association today announced a major new strategic partnership that will secure both the WACA Ground as the home of cricket in Western Australia and the financial future of the Association.

The WACA and Ascot Capital Limited, the operators of Jandakot Airport, have signed a heads of agreement that will see the historic WACA Ground transformed into a stunning 30,000 seat venue for international and domestic cricket as well as being home to two residential towers, two office blocks and a retail and entertainment precinct.

When making the announcement at the WACA Ground WACA Chief Executive Officer Graeme Wood said that today would go down as a momentous day in WACA history.

"This is quite simply one of the most important announcements in the proud history of the Western Australian Cricket Association," Wood said.

"Today we have secured the world famous WACA Ground as the home of cricket in Western Australia and we have done it while also securing the financial future of the sport.

"The WACA is an iconic ground in world cricket and an important part of WA's sporting history so I am sure most West Australians will agree that this development is a fantastic result for WA sport."

Ascot Capital Limited said that it was delighted to be involved in a development that will see an iconic Western Australian institution remain standing.

The development proposal combines an exciting mix of commercial development and the retention of the WACA as a world class facility.

The partnership between the WACA and Ascot Capital Limited will see the WACA Ground's capacity increased by 6,000 and also creates long term revenue opportunities for the Association.

WACA Chairman David Williams said the partnership provides an outstanding package to the WACA whilst achieving the WACA Board's stated aim of keeping cricket at the WACA Ground.

"That we are in this position is due to the efforts of our President, Dennis Lillee, who has relentlessly pursued our vision of utilising part of our land bank in partnership with private equity and he is responsible for creating this wonderful opportunity," Williams said.

"The principals of Ascot, David Van der Walt and Greg King are lovers of cricket and we trust we will all provide them our support for this courageous project which will be of great benefit to cricket in Western Australia."

The development proposal requires modest financial Government support to modernise lighting facilities at the redeveloped ground and for the creation of a Centre for Cricket Excellence at The University of Western Australia's Sports Park in Floreat. The Centre for Cricket Excellence forms a crucial part of the development plans as the existing practice facilities (both indoor and outdoor) at the WACA Ground will be lost in the redevelopment.

"There are many issues to be overcome as with any major project," Williams said.

"That said nothing was won without overcoming challenges and on behalf of Dennis and the Board we can assure you we are absolutely committed to this project."

A three to four year time frame has been put on the development project.
WACA at present

WACA after proposed redevelopment

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

f**k me yes