Proposed WACA Redevelopment

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

Wow, the development the WACA desperately needed. I'm pessimistic though as we know few changes actually happen in WA, even in the middle of a mining boom :lol:

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Post by Saints-Premiers »

Looks good.

It would like nicer if the new grand stand was on both wings and the hill and high-rise tower at both goal squares (i don't know what you'd actually call them).

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

interesting development....but what would be the affect on cricket? the WACA may go from a pace to a swing/spin pitch with the 2 towers chaneling air across the pitch, and the other block stand at the western end would have massive efects on the freo doctor in the arvo.

but its good to see such a develpment rather than selling the whole ground off..thoes upper apartments better have good block out blinds if you need to get some sleep while those big towers are lit up...

i believe the SCG looked at a siimilar option a while back for the hill to help pay for the development.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

I can't believe they'd have the gall to ask for more public funds.

Does look good though.

CarlosA
Bronze

Post by CarlosA »

Considering there was only about 14000 people onwards from days 3-5 i think its capacity is mroe than sufficient.

Considerign WACA membership is on ly a couple hundred bucks the real cricket fans had no problems getting in.

CarlosA
Bronze

Post by CarlosA »

Having said that those plans look f**King cool.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It still doesn't solve the problems of on-field use, which is quite low in winter. What's good is the diversifying revenue streams that place less importance on having on-field events there for financial benefit.

But will the government cough up the cash for Floreat? I don't know though I dare say it would be a good investment considering the scale of the WACA development and more importantly, what it will do for the WACA Ground's surrounding precinct.

One thing I must ask is where the new on-site practice facilities are? Fair enough that you lose some becasue you may not be training there but during first class matches, the players like to have nets to use during the long stretches when they are waiting to bat or field.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Rob wrote: Jaysus, an NRL team in Perth in the next 4 years is the height of optimism. They need to do a shitload of work here to actually create some awareness of the product. Because at the moment there is squat. It's been posted on bigfooty (which isn't the most reliable of sources) that the WARL is down to just 2 divisions and about 8 clubs.
That's 8 clubs in total , two of which aren't in Perth .
Only about 4 of those clubs have teams in both divisions
so the divisions have about 5 or 6 teams .
There are only 2 quality teams and unfortunately they continually play
in the GF .

The first time in years the NRL was shown at a respectable hour and
it only rated 18k , so that's the last of that little experiment .
(Channel 9 perth is not part of the 9 network ).

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

i so badly want to see this happen, and hopefully if this and a major stadium is built, the eagles will move the training facilities into the waca so it will have a winter tenant. but the design is awesome and would go nicely with some of the other developments planed in the area.
Ascot said the plans to include 56 two-bedroom apartments in the new North stand, which would transfer into 80 corporate suites during matches, was unique in Australia.
just had to put that in from the perth now website.

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

Nines wrote:The first time in years the NRL was shown at a respectable hour and it only rated 18k , so that's the last of that little experiment.
Is it? Still listed for 2pm this Sunday as far as I can see.
(Channel 9 perth is not part of the 9 network ).
Yet. By the end of the year it could very well be.

Leigh.

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

Nines wrote: The first time in years the NRL was shown at a respectable hour and
it only rated 18k , so that's the last of that little experiment
I wonder how that figure compares to ratings of VFL/AFL games in Brisbane or Sydney before either of those cities had VFL/AFL teams.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Advice to WACA:
Do it before the WA property boom peaks.

Regards,
WIN Stadium Patron.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Interesting, the artist impression looks pretty good.

The proposed cricket of excellence facility is in the AK Reserve, where the state's boutique athletics facility, minor indoor stadium, and other sporting fields have been constructed.

So we have another stadium about to be redeveloped, 30,000 is a perfect capacity for cricket in this state and I was dreading watching cricket in a 60,000 seat stadium.

The Apartments are actually built outside the venue and would get State Government support in its planning, especially with what they are trying to do in that region.

Cheesie - Luxury Apartment demand is incredible here, not going to die down for a while.

Rob - I think it is time the state government starts giving some funding for player development of cricketers, rather then propping up the WACA...which is what they are not doing. Just helping to pay for a site that will enable young cricketers to continue to be developed.

From the WACA website "The State Government will be approached for some comparatively modest support to upgrade the lighting facilities at the redeveloped ground for the benefit of neighbouring residents"

From the WACA website

This should get them the modest grant.
Will it be a noose around the WACA’s neck like the last redevelopment in 2002?
No, it will be quite the opposite. The proposed project is expected to
generate a long term revenue stream which will help to ensure the
Association is financially viable into the future.
What is the proposed Centre for Cricket Excellence?
Part of the redevelopment proposal requires the existing practice facilities (both indoor and outdoor) at the WACA Ground to be removed. These therefore need to be replaced and we have been working on a proposal to relocate them to a state of the art facility at The University of Western Australia’s Sports Park in Floreat. The WACA Administration could also be relocated there.
That is McGillivray Oval, just next door to Challenge Stadium.
There is also the matter of zoning to enable 17 storey towers which will require Government approval although it is noted the proposed towers near the marina in the Riverside Project are 25 storeys.
Interesting indeed.

The new Northern Stand will be great and I will be surprised if it is a Members stand...I reckon the other side of the ground will stay for Members.

The Height and size of the stand must be big, considering they are removing about 5000 seats, to increase the capacity by 15,000.

3-4 years and they said they would consider moving a Twenty/20 International against England to the larger stadium and the 2015 Cricket World Cup Game...but the 60,000 seat stadium could just be on the other side of the river.
Last edited by Egan on Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

quidgybo wrote: Is it? Still listed for 2pm this Sunday as far as I can see.
Yep it has been live every week...the timeslot they know they will not win anyways. So it is perfect timing for 9 to put NRL on.

A great decision and it has time to grow a new audience, with no pressure to win its time slot, since 9 has lost the AFL.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

www.thewest.com.au - A different perspective on the construction of the WACA, a slightly negative cautious approach - Which is probably applicable being it is WA.

The $250m high rise plan to rebuild our ailing WACA

Two 17-storey residential towers and a pair of commercial office blocks are the centrepieces of a proposed $250 million redevelopment of the WACA Ground intended to secure cricket’s future at its traditional headquarters.

The WACA has signed an agreement with developer Ascot Capital, the controversial owner of Jandakot airport, to increase the ground capacity to 30,000 and redevelop much of the East Perth site in time for the next Ashes series in 2010-11.

All Test and State cricket would be retained at the ground but blockbuster one-dayers, like the international Twenty20 match planned for next summer, could be shifted to Subiaco Oval or a new multi-sport stadium.

Approval must be gained from planning authorities and WACA members as well as neighbouring Trinity College before the massive redevelopment could make the ground the centre of a bustling precinct similar to Lord’s in London.

“It could be St John’s Wood on the river,” WACA chairman David Williams said, referring to the upmarket suburb that houses Lord’s.

But major stadium task force chairman John Langoulant — whose report to the Government is expected by the end of the month — sounded a significant warning about the project, saying it could stall a new stadium and suggesting that it might not be financially viable.

“Without a business plan, you can’t make much of the proposal,” Mr Langoulant said. “It is concerning because we have been down this path so many times with plans to redevelop stadiums but history shows they just don’t wash.”
:lol: - Could not have said it better myself.

The WACA planning process is likely to take at least 18 months and require the East Perth Redevelopment Authority to more than double its current precinct height restriction from eight storeys.

And the WACA will also require State Government support with a request for up to $20 million to replace its 22-year-old light towers and help build a training centre on University of WA land at Mt Claremont.

The Prindiville and Inverarity stands would be demolished and replaced by a new northern stand that would house accommodation units that could be converted into hospitality suites on match day.

“This project is an absolute but there are zoning and planning issues that require government and EPRA to sign off,” Mr Williams said. “I would hope the Government would support an institution like the WACA which has been here for 120 years. I believe this provides us with the surety of an annual income flow down the years and we can pass on to cricket throughout the State.”

Mr Williams revealed that WACA president Dennis Lillee was the catalyst for the project after spending much of the past two years seeking a developer willing to upgrade the ground.

Ascot Capital, which intends to turn Jandakot airport into a residential development, is a partnership between South African property developers David Van der Walt and Greg King and Perth builder Pindan.

Negotiations between the WACA and Ascot Capital were so secret the full WACA board was only informed of the agreement early yesterday and Sports Minister John Kobelke and Opposition spokesman Trevor Sprigg were briefed during the week.

Mr Kobelke said he was interested in the WACA plan but was yet to receive anything formal while Mr Sprigg congratulated the WACA on its efforts to become self-sufficient.

JOHN TOWNSEND