2.Rate-Telstra Stadium,Sydney

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

Rate Telstra Stadium

(10)
20%
(9)
30%
(8)
50%
(7)
No votes
(6)
No votes
(5)
No votes
(4)
No votes
(3 and under)
No votes

Total votes: 10

Dan
Silver

2.Rate-Telstra Stadium,Sydney

Post by Dan »

Design
-Capacity
83,500 is huge by any standards with possible increase to 86,000 permanent -9/10

-Adaptability
With retractable seating constantly in use,its about as adaptable as they come.Lack of retractable roof restricts a perfect score 9/10

-Aesthetics
Probably bias,but I love the look of this venue.Ultra modern with those huge sweeping roofs looking like some akubra hat or pringle chip 10/10

-Facilities/eateries
You can just about get anything inside with all sorts of different eateries from hot dogs and chips to fine dining.Not as good as Colonial from the nightclubs aspect,but probably second best -8/10

-Spectator comfort
Modern bucket seats,with nearlly 90% under cover -9/10

Location-

I think the location is probably its best assett.Hated by the Eastern Suburbs yuppies,but Homebush is the heart of Sydney and Sydney general population.Sydney Olympic Park is the hub of Sydney sport and located within the pretty boundries of Bicentennial Park,Homebush Bay,Parramatta River and Millenium Parklands 9/10

Transport-

Any venue that achieved what was achieved in September 2000 must be rated highly .Buses,ferries,trains..The only criticism would be waiting times at the train station heading east and in cases,they(the government) underestimate the scheduling of trains and don’t put enough on.If organised correctly,its smooth as can be..9/10

History-

Cant have too much history from 1999,but any venue that hosts an Olympics like Sydney did ,is a good start.Add to that some memorable Bledisloe Cup Games,NRL Grand Finals and the Rugby World Cup,it already has a great,if not short history -7/10

Pubs/clubs-

Probably its main drawback.Homebush Bay brewery is huge on gameday as is some of the Superdome bars,but not much else.I always drink at Strathfield or Lidcombe beforehand.Plenty of uncrowded pubs around the stations there.Once finished,it’s a hop on the adjacent rail platform and one trainstop later,you’re at Olympic Park - 6/10

Viewing
AFL-8/10
A few 1000 non seats,but the rest are excellent site lines

Cricket -7/10
A large % of seats on the sides lowers the score,but in general close to the action and plenty of 6's square of the wicket.

Rugby/Soccer -9/10
Apart from the very very VERY top,not a bad seat in the house.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Having been there, I couldn't help feeling that it could have been alot better. Not to say that it isn't magnificent, but I feel like it's missing something.

Misty Bee
Bronze

Post by Misty Bee »

One word - Huge. Walking to the stadium is to be totally dwarfed by the sheer scale of it. Inside, it is also huge, especially a seat high in the stands - not a place for vertigo sufferers!

The roof configuration traps the sound of each stand, which is a shame. In the stands you don't hear much noise coming fromaruond the ground. Behind the tryline yuo don't hear the full roar of the crowds in the stand. However, side on, viewing Rugby League is excellent for such a massive venue.

If thre is a better 50 000 + stadium in the world, I'm yet to hear about it!