Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Tancred
Bronze

Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Post by Tancred »

Does anyone know what is going on with the new stadium?

According to ... this construction was to start "immediately after the Commonwealth Games". While the media releases are still up on the mopt site - http://www.mopt.com.au/pages/pdf/Media% ... tadium.pdf there is nothing on the front page about it.

Has the stadium idea been dropped? Were the Aussie Rules problems to big?
Last edited by Tancred on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

Humm

why won't my bbcode work! grrrr

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Apparently it is starting in May at conclusion of Commonwealth Games.

Has some capacity impediments due to a deal done with the T Dome, restricting the capacity to 20,000 - eventually up to 25,000 at conclusion of the deal.

The Commonwealth Games have just finished, whatever is happening...its not to far away.

But the stadium is still going ahead.

And go onto the Melbourne Victory Forum, the stadium issues are discussed at length and the same discussion is repeated many many times.

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

My real concern is that whenever a government is going to spend money, they want to hype it and let us know about it. At the moment there seems to be none of this from the Vic Government. Glad to hear it's going ahead.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Egan wrote:And go onto the Melbourne Victory Forum, the stadium issues are discussed at length and the same discussion is repeated many many times.
As well as a lot of other utter rubbish which is why I haven't been back in there for months. Anyone know if it's improved? I don't want to waste my time.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

kilonewton wrote:
Egan wrote:And go onto the Melbourne Victory Forum, the stadium issues are discussed at length and the same discussion is repeated many many times.
As well as a lot of other utter rubbish which is why I haven't been back in there for months. Anyone know if it's improved? I don't want to waste my time.
I go into the forum everynow and then and improve the place...

I got the forum to bag that hack Ferrante in the Caceras thread...but they think Caceras is the best thing to have come to the club.

Not a bad forum, the Victory fans just need some education :wink:

s3tTz
Bronze

New stadium announcement today

Post by s3tTz »

$100m Olympic park plan

06apr06

PREMIER Steve Bracks is today expected to announce that works will begin on Melbourne's new $100 million sports stadium at Olympic Park.

The rectangular stadium, which will seat up to 25,000, will become the new home of NRL team Melbourne Storm and A-League club Melbourne Victory.

The facilities will also be shared by AFL clubs Collingwood and Melbourne.

With work to begin almost immediately it is expected the stadium will be completed some time in 2008.

riverinafl
Bronze

Post by riverinafl »

Work actually started 2 months ago. They have already dug up part of Gotch's Paddock and currently putting in drainage for the new training ground for C'wood. This is next to the Storms current training ground. Once complete they can start pulling down Olympic park and the magpies current training area.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

If the new oval being constructed along Punt Road is Collingwood's new training ground, why would they have a need to pull down the current Olympic Park stadium, considering the new stadium is going to be built next door on Collingwood's current training ground? If it indeed is going to be build on the current Edwin Flack Field, work on the stadium hasn't commenced. It remember on an original plan, it had that oval alongside Punt Road as a rectangular training ground. And also remember how Collingwood complained about moving to Gotch's Paddock as it was too far away, so I doubt they'll move to this new ground seeing though it's even further away.

Anyway, I guess it'll all be confirmed today. Looking forward to the announcement!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Does it still have the ultra curvey roof that looks like one of the massive sandworms from Dune? It looks rad.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/New ... 32447.html
New $190m soccer, rugby stadium for Vic
April 6, 2006 - 12:04PM

A new $190 million soccer and rugby league stadium will be built in Melbourne's Olympic Park precinct by 2009.

The new home for soccer club Melbourne Victory and rugby league team Melbourne Storm will seat 20,000 spectators and have the ability to increase capacity to 25,000 seats.

Victorian Premier Steve Bracks unveiled the futuristic rectangular design for the stadium on Thursday, saying it would provide the missing link in Melbourne's sports venues.

Current crowd sizes for rugby league and soccer reach between 10,000-15,000, he said.

"Given the increasing popularity of these football codes, we expect crowd sizes for soccer and rugby (league) to increase," he said.

"With this in mind, the stadium has been designed with sufficient capacity to increase seating."

The Victorian government will contribute $149 million to the project, with the remainder supplied by the venue trust and its tenants and suppliers.

The development means Collingwood and Melbourne AFL clubs will be given new training facilities at nearby ovals in Gosch's Paddock.

But Mr Bracks said the public would still be able to access nearby ovals and no parkland would be lost.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Awesome. By reading that, it sounds like (as I have always thought), it will be built on Collingwood's current training ground (Edwin Flack Field/Bob Rose Oval), the existing Olympic Park Stadium will remain as an Athletics venue, and new training grounds will be build for Collingwood and Melbourne Storm. I'm excited! I just want to see the design, but by what is said in the article ("futuristic"), sounds like it'll be similar to the original plan.

s3tTz
Bronze

Check out the pics!!!

Post by s3tTz »

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Very good.

Spectacular roof.

Unfortunately there's a f***ing paddock behind the goals. So we're supposed to design the whole world around rugby union even before they decide to start teams :wank:. How much room do you need to score a try in Union anyway? 3m to score the try, 48m to slow your fat arse down?