New Basketball Stadium in Newcastle

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
pudy_Newcastle
Bronze

New Basketball Stadium in Newcastle

Post by pudy_Newcastle »

As you might already know there will be a new inclusion to the NBL next season, the Hunter Pirates ( representing the Newcastle and Hunter area ). Now here's the exciting news, Minister for the Hunter, Michael Costa has annouced that a new stadium will be built with a capacity of 4,500 especially for the Pirates. The name of the stadium will be "The Cave" and it will be situated in the Newcastle suburb of Glendale. It will be ready for use in the 2004/2005 season and it will the Pirates sole home base. While the stadium is being built the Pirates will play at the multifunctional Newcastle Entertainment Centre.

What do you guys think of this new stadium ??? Please reply.

Ill try and get some plans of the cave as soon as possible.

See ya

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I would be wary about this proposal it does not seem the most viable option. For a region it seems too soon, the team hasn't even played a game yet. Not wanting to be a pessimist but what if they go bankrupt two or three years after the stadium is built, you have a world class venue that is not being utilised and becomes much like the WACA. The NBL is a flagging league, sponsorship is low and it is not a viable league. Although it may seem good, wouldnt it be better in the near future to use the Entertainment Centre for more then one years. The city should be put to the test before a new venue is created. Remember support could wane if they finish bottom of the ladder this year and anything could happen, also sponsorship could be low in a small city such as Newcastle. But the new stadium may provide extra interest in the game. Is it sensible to poor millions into a league that is on the rocks, I think not, Newcastle should still use the entertainment centre, considering it was good enough two years ago. Rather then spending millions on a potential dud.

pudy_Newcastle
Bronze

Post by pudy_Newcastle »

You have a point but I think this team will thirve. They have the support of a whole region behind them ( Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and the Hunter Valley) unlike teams such as the West Sydney Razorbacks who are just representing part of a city.

But there's always an outside chance of the Pirates failing and you are right about that.

go to www.hunterpirates.com.au to learn more[/quote]

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The Newcastle Falcons had regional support and the Newcastle Ent Cent and still went broke. I hpe this has a solid financial backing.

I don't know that a new stadium is necessary. Don't mind the NEC. But it is good news if it goes ahead.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

If Canberra couldn't support an NBL team, Newcastle surely couldn't. Aren't the Falcons an example that it just wont work?
If it is to work, the example set by the Townsville Crocodiles (originally Suns) should be used as a template to gain success. Even when the team was crap, the fans filled the Townsville Entertainment Centre. And the team is by no means the only show in town up here.
Get local business on side (as opposed to a national sponsor) and you can't go wrong. While the Crocs are majorly sponsored by McDonalds, it is the local franchisees who spend the money, not the corporation.
Trust me, the example should be followed. :idea: