WIN Stadium, Wollongong

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: WIN Stadium, Wollongong

Post by Jeffles »

They can take a trial down there. I think they gave one to Nowra or Kiama this year.

cairnscowboy
Bronze

Post by cairnscowboy »

following on from the previous retro photo i found this, on the site you can click and enlarge and its suprisingly detailed for an old photo, not sure of the date
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5413446

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

'89, '90 or '91. According to Wikipedia, it was "rectangularised" in '88, and the southern stand opened in '92.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The last year the Winfield Cup "v" top logo was in the in-goal was 1988. They had a proper rectangle from 1989 onwards.

Only question is who are they playing? White shorts means in could be the Gold Coast-Tweed Giants.

It might be this game, the opening of the 1988 season for the Steelers and presumable the opening of the rectangular ground.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/gam ... 31112.html

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Grandstand roof finally in place
BY MICHELLE WEBSTER
28 Jul, 2011 12:00 AM
Light rain drizzled down on WIN Stadium yesterday morning but workers installing seating in the impressive new western grandstand were dry as a bone.
After months of painstaking work, battling wet weather and frequent high winds, the final touches were put on the white roof of the $29 million grandstand.

The roof's completion marks the final major construction milestone for the stadium project.
More at:

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news ... 40390.aspx

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Why are the seats not red?

St James
Bronze

Post by St James »

Seat colour looks fine to me.
I'm more concerned about why that bloke would want to stand in the middle of the picture and block half the view of the stand.

St James.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

29 million for that, while we are paying 94 million lol.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

yob wrote:
Jeffles wrote:The Daily Telegraph says Sydney FC v Perth Glory is likely to be the A-League regional game and played in Wollongong. Exciting times.
:wank:

Why can't they make this a genuine regional game and play in Wagga, Bendigo or Bunbury.
Bunbury is a fair way from Sydney mate. :lol:

A game on a Wednesday night in the Gong is just daft if they want Sydney-based fans to travel for it! (Impossible for me trying to get back to Melbourne either)

JF

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

True. Luckily, Wollongong is a big enough metropolis that they can rely on the city supplying the bulk of the fans.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
yob wrote:
Jeffles wrote:The Daily Telegraph says Sydney FC v Perth Glory is likely to be the A-League regional game and played in Wollongong. Exciting times.
:wank:

Why can't they make this a genuine regional game and play in Wagga, Bendigo or Bunbury.
Bunbury is a fair way from Sydney mate. :lol:

A game on a Wednesday night in the Gong is just daft if they want Sydney-based fans to travel for it! (Impossible for me trying to get back to Melbourne either)

JF
Sydney-itis much?!

Repeat after me:

There's 2 teams out there and one aint Sydney.

Deep breath

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

yob wrote:
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
yob wrote:[
Repeat after me:

There's 2 teams out there and one aint Sydney.

Deep breath

So we are expecting people to go and watching Sydney vs Perth in Wollongong & go for Perth? Is that what you are trying to say? :roll:

Playing on a Wednesday night will drop the crowd by half what it would be on a Friday or Saturday. FFA planning at its best.

JF
PS:- You are expecting me to care about anything apart from Sydney FC. You don't half ask much do you? :wink:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Did the FFA mandate that a midweek fixture go to the regions or did Sydney FC choose that fixture to go interstate?

The way Sydney's crowds are going, they won't lose that much going to Wollongong. It's just that the crowd will be a totally different group of people compared to a regular match at the SFS, which is kind of the point.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Jeffles wrote:Did the FFA mandate that a midweek fixture go to the regions or did Sydney FC choose that fixture to go interstate?

The way Sydney's crowds are going, they won't lose that much going to Wollongong. It's just that the crowd will be a totally different group of people compared to a regular match at the SFS, which is kind of the point.

7000 at home including the loudest most constantly singing fans in the country = a (very small) win

7000 near silent locals watching on impassively & telling you to sit down on the hill is = epic fail.

Sure I want Sydney FC's crowds to improve. But the one small advantage of going to a club who gets 7000 to games is that the chances of you standing next to an absolute fanatic who gives his life to Sydney FC & football is very very high. At the Suwon ACL game I (who'd of course travelled from Melbourne) stood next to people who's travelled from Eden in Southern NSW & Coffs Harbour just for the match. Best singing & atmosphere in ages!

http://youtu.be/mQoJ1WGdkyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fqnca4xr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnFkNJQ_mE&NR=1

JF

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I disagree entirely with that. Singing for a club requires emotional investment that usually comes with regular spectators. Taking a game outside your usual fan base is about drawing new people who would contemplte beginning that kind of relationship. It's not realistic to expect them to jump in straight away.

The likely make up of the crowd at Wollongong will be fans of Sydney FC, fans of the code that do not attend A League and curious eventers from the town. The whole purpose of this exercise is to get the latter two groups.